Driver swing. Any thoughts ?

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver swing. Any thoughts ?

Square your back foot, perpendicular. Turn your forward foot out 45 degrees. Hinge your wrists. Keep your head/eyes on the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
8c0bac787f93f529e3a4e3b2cbd7664b.jpg

Thanks. I'll try that. I played my rear foot perpendicular and front foot flared out at the end of last season and it worked good. Just got away from it.

May just be the camera angle but it looks like the ball is outside of your front foot at setup. Typically you want the ball off of the heel on your lead foot at set up.

I think it's the camera angle. Typically I setup with my feet together and ball in the middle. Flare my front foot out then step back with my back foot. That typically puts the ball on my left heel.

A buddy of mine pointed out a loop at the top of my swing causing me to come over the top.
I've tried just about everything to stop OTT but no drill or swing thought ever seems to work for me.

Took a video today with the adjustment to my feet. I like the changes. Much more balanced finish. Less loop at the top and less chicken wing on the follow though.

Thanks for the tip. https://vimeo.com/159642340

If you turn your hips less then you would have more coil.
The shoulders should rotate more than the hips.
On the backswing the hips are last to move, on the downswing they are the first.
Sequenced top-to-bottom then bottom to top.

The grip looks weird, really strong left and weak right but hard to see. Squaring the back foot solved most of the big sway issue you had. Work on shoulder flexibility, you hardly use them so that is probably the biggest power leak. Looks like your backswing is way too far inside but can't say for sure on that angle.

Your issue isn't a lack of turn, it's too much turn. Your issue isn't that your hips don't start the down swing the issue is how far you turn away from the ball.

6c6d1a5ab8dba580d7bc481ebfae37c7.jpg

You turn away from the ball, completely. By the time you release the hips and have reached the right hip, you've wasted all your energy. You want to turn the hips against the lower body. This tension is what makes the ball go far. Not the length of the back swing.

You may also want to take a look at the lack of club set on the back swing. You extend too much and this is aiding in the Langtry of your swing. When the club reaches the right hip there should be an angle created with the left arm and club. This angle and your cool produce the distance you seek.

Thanks for all the comments.

I guess I wasn't thinking that the hips/waist turn should be less than my upper body. I've always heard you should try and turn your back to the target and never really thought about how to make this happen correctly.

Ive never taken a driver lesson before. Only 4 lessons with a 7i a few years back so my driver swing is totally self taught. During my 7i lesson the Pro said I needed width in my backswing. So I guess I've just tried to do that in all my clubs and swing.

Tomorrow at the range I'm going to try a few things.

Back