NorCal Crew hangout thread

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
This is the location to discuss the state of our game and future golf activities. NorCal crew, I am delighted to be a part of our mini group who all enjoy the THP family!

What is the state of your game and where and when is the next round?

Start a NorCal game here too, all regions are encouraged. If you are traveling to the area, post it and we will make arrangements to play with you!

Below are preferred days of some of our NorCal crew, if your name isn't listed send me a pm or post your preferred days of availability. The more the merrier.

SeeMoreGuy-MIA
Ktaylor10-MIA
Mancest- weekends (mostly).
johnpjr- weekdays and/or weekends
Emmers-MIA
ASN21- weekends
TheHeez
RadRob- Friday's/Saturday's
DufferToo- weekends
Hickster- in Hawaii
Time4Tim- weekends
ItsOpeningDay- Usually avail whenever
Scotland-preferably Sundays
PublicGolfer-Weekends and various days in the summertime.
mark_uk-will play for blood pudding.
J-pin
Platoon
Mike27T
Rock26
MediocreAtBest-Usually available anytime.
ApexFan Bay Area, available weekdays.
Kappa1032 SF

Last edited:
Had a few range sessions this week and figured out a couple flaws I was causing with my irons. I still need a couple of more buckets to dial it in, but I am much more confident then the last couple of weeks. Also put my custom shaft back into my driver and picked my tempo up a bit from trying to finesse the ball. The distance is much better as well as the trajectory. I think I'll head out tomorrow and practice while playing, as long as it is not raining too much.

I can dig it!

My game is improving and I'm working on consistency and quieting the inner voice chatter. I just need to quit beating myself up so much when stupid stuff starting happening :D. I've played 5 rounds since 3/18 and will get number 6 in tomorrow.

I'm glad a lot of use got together last weekend and I hope to see you all a lot more in the next year since I'm Maryland bound next April!

I can dig it!

My game is improving and I'm working on consistency and quieting the inner voice chatter. I just need to quit beating myself up so much when stupid stuff starting happening :D. I've played 5 rounds since 3/18 and will get number 6 in tomorrow.

I'm glad a lot of use got together last weekend and I hope to see you all a lot more in the next year since I'm Maryland bound next April!

Damn my man, you have been putting in the work! Nice! That inner voice is a "B." It is only loud when my confidence is down. By the way, you can run but you can't hide on the other side of the US. I'm retired, I'll track you down to beat on the east coast guys!

Thanks for starting this thread.

Tomorrow will be my first round in 6 months. I was hoping to knock the rust off with you guys last weekend but I couldn't swing it.

I've gone mental close to the green the last couple of years. Anything less than a full swing and I think it's going to go too far and I duff it. Adding 3-5 strokes per hole from within 20 feet has done a number on the cap. I think I've figured it out, we'll see in the morning.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks for starting this thread.

Tomorrow will be my first round in 6 months. I was hoping to knock the rust off with you guys last weekend but I couldn't swing it.

I've gone mental close to the green the last couple of years. Anything less than a full swing and I think it's going to go too far and I duff it. Adding 3-5 strokes per hole from within 20 feet has done a number on the cap. I think I've figured it out, we'll see in the morning.

I hope your round went well today Duff!

i went out and walked Empire Ranch, played the tournament tees. I started off great putting for birdies on the first three holes and paring all of them. Went down hill from there. My weight shift is off, same thing that was hindering me in Monterey. I still managed mid 80's though, a lot of my miss hits ended up being good, but it's like a pool shot gone astray then ended up where you want it. It's nice position, but not what I was trying to do. A few more days on the range and I should be set. I need to get the handicap back down and surpass last year. Putting and chipping are good, sand game is bad, very bad.

ken

Headed out to the Hagen Oaks range tomor and then I'll play 18. I've got to get this tempo thing dialed in. I have found as I get older, tempo/coordination is something I have a little more difficulty getting right. Retirement is awesome, age is not, lol.

Headed out to the Hagen Oaks range tomor and then I'll play 18. I've got to get this tempo thing dialed in. I have found as I get older, tempo/coordination is something I have a little more difficulty getting right. Retirement is awesome, age is not, lol.

Nice...hope you have a great round! I'm going to a live Bridgestone ball fitting tomorrow :D

Nice...hope you have a great round! I'm going to a live Bridgestone ball fitting tomorrow :D

Cool,, let us know how it turns out!

Do do you think we will have enough SoCal guys to make the NorCal v SoCal thing work out?

Didn't get out to play today but hit the range. My swing tempo and downswing alignment is still out of whack> may head to the course tomorrow to play a little.

NorCal v SoCal looks promising, I hope we get a great turnout!

Aside from the Bridgestone Live Ball Fitting, I spent another 90 minutes or so on the range and had a decent session. I'm not playing this week since I'll be up in SF this weekend, but I'm getting to the range one more time on Thursday so I'll get my fix for the week!

Hit the range after work and driver is nightmare right now. I'm pondering dropping it all together. Strongest part of the bag is 7 iron and down. I think I need that 64* PM grind.

Hit the range after work and driver is nightmare right now. I'm pondering dropping it all together. Strongest part of the bag is 7 iron and down. I think I need that 64* PM grind.

Dont do it Asn, you can hit that driver, I've seen it!

Nonsense! Stick with it brother...you'll work the kinks out!

Hope to find the time to get out and play with some fellow THPers this year and shame on me if I don't. I'm in the Sacramento area and would love to get a round in with some of you fellow NorCal locals in the next couple months. My schedule has been dominated by work, kids and family for the last 18 years but things are starting to free up for me now that 2 of my kids are driving and have little need for dad anymore, other than my wallet.

I had my best ball striking in years on Sunday.

Last edited:
Ok, that was fun. TapaTalk posted while I was still typing.

What I did to correct my tempo was to hold my driver by the head and make smooth swings, and holding my finish. I kept increasing the swing speed until I had that "whoosh" sound at the bottom. Then I held the driver by the grip and repeated the process. What I wound up with was a "firm" feeling swing. I did the same thing with my irons. When I stepped up to take a shot I tried to duplicate that feeling.
That controlled, firm feeling helped me hit some of the best drives I've had in years.

I hit the Driving range after work yesterday and worked on my drive, I still can't hit my driver to save my life but my Mini Driver is coming along nice, and my irons are looking very good lately, hopefully that transitions over to the course it never seems to though :( Also can't focus on work at all this week because my buddy and I are playing Yocha Dehe this weekend and its all I can think about. Hopefully I get to golf with a few of you this year, that whole Norcal vs Socal thing would be awesome but it's too far from Sacramento and my wife would murder me in my sleep.

I hit the Driving range after work yesterday and worked on my drive, I still can't hit my driver to save my life but my Mini Driver is coming along nice, and my irons are looking very good lately, hopefully that transitions over to the course it never seems to though :( Also can't focus on work at all this week because my buddy and I are playing Yocha Dehe this weekend and its all I can think about. Hopefully I get to golf with a few of you this year, that whole Norcal vs Socal thing would be awesome but it's too far from Sacramento and my wife would murder me in my sleep.

You don't know what you are missing out on! It's one weekend you'd have to sacrifice and it is still 5 months away. Plenty of time to butter up the significant other.

As long as you didn't get killed before the event it's all good :wink:

You don't know what you are missing out on! It's one weekend you'd have to sacrifice and it is still 5 months away. Plenty of time to butter up the significant other.

I'll see what I can do, maybe I'll start buying her expensive things now so I can tell her I'm going to drive 5 hours and play golf with my internet friends:act-up: Or ill just drug her the day before so she doesn't realize I'm gone.

I'll see what I can do, maybe I'll start buying her expensive things now so I can tell her I'm going to drive 5 hours and play golf with my internet friends:act-up: Or ill just drug her the day before so she doesn't realize I'm gone.

You could scoop up a room at Vandenberg AFB for cheap. Obviously the drive would be the long part, but you'd be saving money on a room!

Just hand your wife your credit card. I'm sure your wife could find several nice boutiques along the coast that would keep her busy.:angel:

As long as you didn't get killed before the event it's all good :wink:
Who says you're not a sensitive guy.:act-up:

You could scoop up a room at Vandenberg AFB for cheap. Obviously the drive would be the long part, but you'd be saving money on a room!
We have family in the area but if that falls through that's a distinct possibility. Now that I'm a retiree I keep forgetting about base lodging.

Hope to find the time to get out and play with some fellow THPers this year and shame on me if I don't. I'm in the Sacramento area and would love to get a round in with some of you fellow NorCal locals in the next couple months. My schedule has been dominated by work, kids and family for the last 18 years but things are starting to free up for me now that 2 of my kids are driving and have little need for dad anymore, other than my wallet.

We three are within only a few miles of each other along with a couple others who signed in to the NorCal Sac golfing thread. We need to tee it up soon.

We three are within only a few miles of each other along with a couple others who signed in to the NorCal Sac golfing thread. We need to tee it up soon.

I would definitely enjoy that, Lincoln hills and turkey creek are the only ones close to Sac that I've played, and im pretty sure I like everyone else love me some Turkey Creek. I actually love it so much I got married there :bashful:

Back