The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good night just feeling the swing doing slow swings. Figured out I have not been releasing the arms and hands but literally hitting the ball with my shoulder because I was holding off/hitting punch shots. Which explains my slamming the face shut on occasion. Hope to get out for some range time outside this week.

Got to the range last night. Really focusing on 125 ( out to 150 ) and in. Hit the ball as flush as I have in a while. Really getting comfortable on flighting the ball. Worked on hitting 1 club different distances, and hit a lot of 50 - 75 yard shots. Feel like i really have control over the ball,but we all know how fleeting thatcan be! Now to take this from Matt's to grass and to the course!

got some good practice in on my long irons yesterday evening. really working on striking down and not sweeping

I've been taking one club to the driving range to work on different distances. Yesterday, it was my 5 irons turn. My goal is to get solid contact more consistently as well as varying the distances. Great thread, btw.

Some solid prep working going on in here for RR. Absolutely love seeing that people are working hard and sharing what they are doing with us. Keep it up guys

Hit the range for a while yesterday, starting to control the club face better with my irons and hybrids.

Driver is terrible, but I went through some old notes from prior lessons and have some ideas on how to get it back under control. I will be at the range again after work today.

Hitting the range this afternoon. Will be concentrating on the short game, pitching & chipping & putting. (pics to follow) Will be getting the rust off. Need to be on my game tomorrow vs JohnsInVA

Took my clone, 7, to the range for a bit this afternoon. Worked on driver, mostly. Getting better and better and grooving a more relaxed backswing, makes it easier to get in sequence and stay away from the dreaded slice. Going to a 45" driver has been interesting, I do tend to find the toe of the club a bit more, which, with a lower spinning head as well, produces more balls that just knuckle out of the air. Still, just need to bring that drive to the course, and I'll be happy.

Declan is getting better and better at hitting the ball first and getting better contact. Still, he does his best work in his short game. He and I played a game of horse with wedges and putters on the practice green, and he gave me a solid run for my money. Fun way to spend a couple hours hanging out with the kid.
Time spent playing with a kid should not count towards one's allotted time on earth.

I've been a not so regular contributor here, but with my selection to the DMV THPRegional Rivalry team, that will change. Didn't "practice" yet this week, but have played two rounds, and there was a big improvment in the ball striking from the first to the second.

Short game will be a focus of the practice sessions. I will #own125

On that note, if anyone has any good references or video lessons they have done on the short game practice, I'd be very interested in hearing. I will be looking to take a lesson on this specifically as well.

The poor short game cost me at least 10 shots in my round on Monday, some of it could be atrributed to coming off the winter rust, but a large part was not having a solid plan for attacking it. That will change.

Hit the range for 3.5 hrs today and got an impromptu lesson in with my coach.

I was seeing high LA #'s with my 7i not that it's a new thing but we've been working on getting it down. So I worked on hitting a low draw to get me coming from inside out and releasing the club the right way.

I have to get the handle in font of the ball at impact instead of even with or slightly behind the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a not so regular contributor here, but with my selection to the DMV THPRegional Rivalry team, that will change. Didn't "practice" yet this week, but have played two rounds, and there was a big improvment in the ball striking from the first to the second.

On that note, if anyone has any good references or video lessons they have done on the short game practice, I'd be very interested in hearing. I will be looking to take a lesson on this specifically as well.

The poor short game cost me at least 10 shots in my round on Monday, some of it could be atrributed to coming off the winter rust, but a large part was not having a solid plan for attacking it. That will change.

Rob, we need to get a short game practice session in soon!

And so the work begins!

a1b04a8865029c70b0da0c32a0df6b54.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Diamond ridge has a great short game and putting green for when you're away from the office too.

Awesome session today. And it's March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The knee injury has limited some so I worked on my wedges at 40-60 yards again. I'm starting to feel really comfortable at this distance.

That's what I call giving the wedge the 'ol workout

7fa876b4e72c19872c3a84b1a57b74db.jpg
eacd3ed7f151f3a7ad7bfcf9ad96f3b5.jpg

Like it when I'm one of the last to leave the course. And the guys ask when you are going to leave. "Uhhh when I can't see it anymore."
28d3110ff61c3204effcc5be7316fd1f.jpg

It has got to be tough to hit balls like that...
I can never remember which way the damn phone goes.

Today was a very productive hour and half. Worked on my transition from backswing to downswing. Trying to not spin out with my hips too early. Worked on pitching and chipping from various distances and hole locations. 95 - 30 yards then pitching around the green from various lies. I would throw about 10 balls in the air ... then go hit them no matter the lie. Concentrating on keeping the left wrist firm and not letting the club head outpace the hands.
I am bound and determined to get even lower again this year!

I can never remember which way the damn phone goes.

Today was a very productive hour and half. Worked on my transition from backswing to downswing. Trying to not spin out with my hips too early. Worked on pitching and chipping from various distances and hole locations. 95 - 30 yards then pitching around the green from various lies. I would throw about 10 balls in the air ... then go hit them no matter the lie. Concentrating on keeping the left wrist firm and not letting the club head outpace the hands.
I am bound and determined to get even lower again this year!

Good stuff man. Seems like you put in some solid work

Good stuff man. Seems like you put in some solid work
Yeah thanks. We will see if any of it helped when I take on JohnSinVA tomorrow at PB Dye.

Yeah thanks. We will see if any of it helped when I take on JohnSinVA tomorrow at PB Dye.

Sweet. Supposed to be a great day you guys will have a blast. Enjoy!

I had time to hit a small bucket at the range today. Very encouraged by the results - I'm making much more consistent contact - hitting the ball first then the ground. Still struggled a bit to keep the contact in the exact same position in my stance, but for the first swings in a month? Not too bad!

I also got to practice 20-30 yard pitch shots with my Callaway PM 60* wedge. I think this will be a real weapon! When I made consistent contact the ball groupings on the green were very tight. Just need to figure out the yardages for all of my partial shots now.

Yesterday my irons and hybrids were being hit well and my driver was way off.

Now I've worked out the driver and my hybrids are terrible. Maybe tomorrow I can get them both to click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back