2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

I freaking LOVE my fitbit HR. Super happy with the purchase.

What you're saying is true, but carbohydrates do cause excess water retention.

http://paleoleap.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-water-weight/

Refined carbs can also raise your blood sugar and triglyceride levels, in part because they contain little or no fiber to hinder digestion, and that can confuse cholesterol testing, particularly the good cholesterol.

A minor milestone today, finally broke under the 290 mark (15 pounds) after being stuck for the last week. weighed in at 289.2 - only about 70 more to go.

I freaking LOVE my fitbit HR. Super happy with the purchase.

My wife just got the new one that came out, the Blaze. Looks pretty cool. I still have the Surge.

Refined carbs can also raise your blood sugar and triglyceride levels, in part because they contain little or no fiber to hinder digestion, and that can confuse cholesterol testing, particularly the good cholesterol.

A minor milestone today, finally broke under the 290 mark (15 pounds) after being stuck for the last week. weighed in at 289.2 - only about 70 more to go.

The more I read into carbohydrates and studies involving the ketogenic diet, the more I think refined carbohydrates have no place in the human diet. If you haven't seen this video and have time (roughly an hour) there is some really interesting information/results from studies/experiments in it. Specifically, how ineffective exercise is for weight loss compared to proper diet, how the body responds to carbs or a lack of them, and how the ketogenic diet benefits the body. They even have MRI cross section slides from a vein/artery (can't remember) showing that people that ate more fat and less carbs had healthier cardiovascular systems than they did when cosuming excessive/wrong carbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE

The more I read into carbohydrates and studies involving the ketogenic diet, the more I think refined carbohydrates have no place in the human diet. If you haven't seen this video and have time (roughly an hour) there is some really interesting information/results from studies/experiments in it. Specifically, how ineffective exercise is for weight loss compared to proper diet, how the body responds to carbs or a lack of them, and how the ketogenic diet benefits the body. They even have MRI cross section slides from a vein/artery (can't remember) showing that people that ate more fat and less carbs had healthier cardiovascular systems than they did when cosuming excessive/wrong carbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE
I definitely believe there is a middle ground. As a vegetarian, for example, I could not sustain a ketogenic diet and expect to not waste away. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

To be fair, you can find studies that go every which way on carbs.

There's more than one way to eat healthier.

To be fair, you can find studies that go every which way on carbs.

There's more than one way to eat healthier.

That's what it so disappointing. The modern american diet as pushed/recommended by doctors and the FDA is being shown in numerous studies to be bad for our health. The studies that show carbs are good and fats are bad are repeatedly being proven incorrect due to flawed methodology. For example, subject A that eats a ton of fat had an increased risk for heart disease. However, they don't tell you that the guy is eating a ton of refined carbs as well. It's the proverbial "you can't have your cake and eat it too."

To me its simple, what works for one, may not for another, and that is OK.

Its a lot like golf clubs.

I've low carb'd it and lost 30 lbs. I've also lost about 25+ on WW. Totally different, yet both work. Hmmm.

To me its simple, what works for one, may not for another, and that is OK.

Its a lot like golf clubs.

I've low carb'd it and lost 30 lbs. I've also lost about 25+ on WW. Totally different, yet both work. Hmmm.

I haven't tried weight watchers, but did try Nutrisystem for a while and did lose weight (30+ pounds). But there is a difference between losing weight and getting healthier. I lost a ton of muscle, strength, and energy on the Nutrisystem meals. A problem I don't have with eating low carb while maintaining a moderate amount of protein. So I don't think it's as simple as saying they both "work".

I haven't tried weight watchers, but did try Nutrisystem for a while and did lose weight (30+ pounds). But there is a difference between losing weight and getting healthier. I lost a ton of muscle, strength, and energy on the Nutrisystem meals. A problem I don't have with eating low carb while maintaining a moderate amount of protein. So I don't think it's as simple as saying they both "work".
They do both work though, it is that simple.

I know you disagree with me, but that's not new and I'm truly ok with it, you do you.

There is no one way outside of calories in, calories out.

I know you disagree with me, but that's not new and I'm truly ok with it, you do you.

I think it depends one what you define as working. If we are just talking weight, sure calories in/calories out. If you are talking health, body composition, etc then calories in/calories out is a fallacy.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-common-calorie-myths-we-should-all-stop-believing/#axzz42S7yWsij

I think it depends one what you define as working. If we are just talking weight, sure calories in/calories out. If you are talking health, body composition, etc then calories in/calories out is a fallacy.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-common-calorie-myths-we-should-all-stop-believing/#axzz42S7yWsij

If you are overweight, you will not get healthy by consuming more calories than you expel. I have lost almost 80 pounds, and lost very little muscle by simply eating less than I expel, and continuing to lift 6 days a week. Eat protein, eat less calories than you expel, and you will lose weight, and if you continue to lift, you will minimize strength losses.

I'm not debating that. I'm just saying there is a better way than just eating less. I thought the eating less was a given.

I'm not debating that. I'm just saying there is a better way than just eating less. I thought the eating less was a given.

For people who are just looking to lose weight, which is the majority of people, calculate your BMR and subtract 500-1000 calories from that, and you are good to go. That is how I was for about the first 60 pounds, and then as I got closer to my goal, I began to look more at what I was eating. Protein intake, less carbs, and it is helping to reduce muscle mass loss from the calorie deficit.

Nevermind. Its not worth it.

15,000 steps today. That's a win.

In line with some the recent pages discussions I'd like to add a couple thoughts and one in which someone indirectly touched on. There is imo a big difference between eating light (meaning calories) for weight loss which is what most people do vs eating healthy. One can count calories to lose weight and yet still be eating very unhealthy.

While losing weight is all about calories in vs calories out there is actually a lot more to it than that. I am far from any expert and hope don't sound like Im trying to be one. But If one is to be healthy they must not just count calories but also must be aware of protiens, vitamin and mineral intake. There are a ton of skinnier people who are not healthy because all they concern with is calories.

The proper proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals not only make for a healthier body but are also needed to help burn calories. Deficiencies or far too much of given forms of any hinders proper organ and over all bodily functions and can indirectly slow down a weight loss process and/or at least lead to an unhealthy one.

This is why I'm not a fan of many of the processed diet foods on supermarket shelves. Low cal and low fat and low this and low that, but actually complete crap for us to eat. Also why I am not really a fan of these magic gimmick type diets or ones in which fool around with body chemistry. Eliminating types of foods and yet allow one to over indulge in others to cause reactions therefore fooling the body into thinking it has none or an over abundance of certain things it needs in order to promote weight loss. Sure people have lost weight and swear by them so in a sense they work for that reason but in the end its just not always a healthy thing and far from it and can cause other unhealthy side affects and risks.

Basically in my non expert layman's opinion. "don't fool mother nature" because you may not like the response. Not trying to dictate what one should do but if you investigate the negative affects of things you'll find nothing is quite all they are cracked up to be and in fact while some work well for one goal they can actually in the end do more harm than good towards a lot of other things. Basically solving one problem but then just causing other different and important ones to over all health.

imo our bodys simply don't need gimmicks. Just staying away from junk, not over eating, and making better choices is all it takes. Not easy I know because we are week so we then get into these gimmicks in order to motivate us but nature is as dangerous as it is wonderful. You want to play games with it and it will make you pay. But just do what it asks and it will reward. All (perhaps with exceptions of given medical conditions) one imo has to do is eat responsibly, keep mind of not just calories but all else our body's need to properly function and our bodys by nature will take fine care of itself. That's what nature does.

2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

If your looking to lose weight. There isn't a program out there that works with out commitment and lifestyle change. Trash in will always result in trash out.

In line with some the recent pages discussions I'd like to add a couple thoughts and one in which someone indirectly touched on. There is imo a big difference between eating light (meaning calories) for weight loss which is what most people do vs eating healthy. One can count calories to lose weight and yet still be eating very unhealthy.

While losing weight is all about calories in vs calories out there is actually a lot more to it than that. I am far from any expert and hope don't sound like Im trying to be one. But If one is to be healthy they must not just count calories but also must be aware of protiens, vitamin and mineral intake. There are a ton of skinnier people who are not healthy because all they concern with is calories.

The proper proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals not only make for a healthier body but are also needed to help burn calories. Deficiencies or far too much of given forms of any hinders proper organ and over all bodily functions and can indirectly slow down a weight loss process and/or at least lead to an unhealthy one.

This is why I'm not a fan of many of the processed diet foods on supermarket shelves. Low cal and low fat and low this and low that, but actually complete crap for us to eat. Also why I am not really a fan of these magic gimmick type diets or ones in which fool around with body chemistry. Eliminating types of foods and yet allow one to over indulge in others to cause reactions therefore fooling the body into thinking it has none or an over abundance of certain things it needs in order to promote weight loss. Sure people have lost weight and swear by them so in a sense they work for that reason but in the end its just not always a healthy thing and far from it and can cause other unhealthy side affects and risks.

Basically in my non expert layman's opinion. "don't fool mother nature" because you may not like the response. Not trying to dictate what one should do but if you investigate the negative affects of things you'll find nothing is quite all they are cracked up to be and in fact while some work well for one goal they can actually in the end do more harm than good towards a lot of other things. Basically solving one problem but then just causing other different and important ones to over all health.

imo our bodys simply don't need gimmicks. Just staying away from junk, not over eating, and making better choices is all it takes. Not easy I know because we are week so we then get into these gimmicks in order to motivate us but nature is as dangerous as it is wonderful. You want to play games with it and it will make you pay. But just do what it asks and it will reward. All (perhaps with exceptions of given medical conditions) one imo has to do is eat responsibly, keep mind of not just calories but all else our body's need to properly function and our bodys by nature will take fine care of itself. That's what nature does.

I agree to some extent, but a ton of the Lean Cuisine type meals give you everything your body needs. I don't live off of them, but I do eat them fairly frequently. At the end of the day, tracking calories has worked very very well for me, and to a large extent, I have really not checked exactly where I have been getting them, and I am in by far the best shape of my life.

Losing weight is a simple formula, keeping it off and staying healthy is an entirely different battle.

I agree to some extent, but a ton of the Lean Cuisine type meals give you everything your body needs. I don't live off of them, but I do eat them fairly frequently. At the end of the day, tracking calories has worked very very well for me, and to a large extent, I have really not checked exactly where I have been getting them, and I am in by far the best shape of my life.

Losing weight is a simple formula, keeping it off and staying healthy is an entirely different battle.

I don't know which ones are healthy or not. lean cuisine been around a long time. weight watchers too I think are also a food done right. I want meaning to imply any and all are bad. But there are a lot of things in the market as we by our weekly groceries and often one then needs individual items and is then picking up different versions and brands of certain items too often being fooled by labels and only seeing the displayed calorie count, or words/phrases like - "low fat", "light", "smart", No sugar", etc etc and thinking these are better choices when in reality many are not a healthy food when the ingredients and the rear lables are looked at more in depth. There is a lot of crap out there on the shelves..

I think people tend to overanalyze a lot of this, in reality, losing weight is going to benefit your long term health regardless of what kinds of foods you eat.

When I went on a big diet a few years ago, I asked my Dietitian at work to break it down to the simplest form she could, she came back with this.

1. Track how many calories you eat.
2. Burn more than that.

It's easy.

When I went on a big diet a few years ago, I asked my Dietitian at work to break it down to the simplest form she could, she came back with this.

2. Burn more than that.

It's easy.
Its really that simple...all about the numbers

2. Burn more than that.

It's easy.

That is what I have been trying to communicate, thank you for reaffirming that. Same thing I have heard from multiple qualified individuals. People like to make these things more complicated than they really are.

Back