kevin81002

Fore Right!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Who knows
Here's what I'm looking at. I currently play Srixon Z565 irons, 5-pw. As I'm getting my swing back, I'm starting to see a trend. My tendency to fly greens is becoming more and more consistent. Clubbing down is definitely an option. But I decided yesterday to go in to my local big box store and hit some irons on the launch monitor. Some of the clubs I hit were the Srixon z585,785 and z forged, Callaway Apex pro, couple mizuno irons, and the Cobra blades and forged tec irons. The results were interesting. Hitting 7 irons, ball speed was pretty consistent across the board... 126-130 range. Launch angle was also consistent at 18-19*. But average spin was way different. With the 585 (which is comparable to my 565,) my average spin was in the low 5k range. With the z forged, z965, the cobras and apex pros, my spin jumped up to the mid 6k range with some of them being as high as 7100rpm. Distances were also way different due to the backspin. The 585 I hit a few that carried almost 200yds. The z forged and the cobras honestly felt the most consistent distance wise, which the qc quad verified. Consistent carry in the 180 range with a ton more stopping power.

My question is, do I take my irons in and have them bent a couple degrees weak, or do I step in to a more spinny set of irons? I'm not sure if bending them will completely help or of it'll change the way they look and feel too much. And the distances I'm hitting them right now is a little on the long side to fit my gapping with the wedges and woods. I'd love to hear from anyone that has bent the lofts that much, or some experiences from my fellow thpers.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can't chime in on the loft bending question, but maybe we look at some of the numbers you saw...

So your Z565 7 iron is 31 degree loft. Traditionally I think that puts it roughly like a strong-7/weak 6 range. I have the Cobra Forged Tec Black OL and my 7 iron was spinning at right around 5800-6000 rpm. My 7 iron is 30 degrees and I realize that sort of is like a traditional 6 iron.

The apex pro 19, the Cobra MB blades, and the z965 are all around that 33* mark with the 7 iron and logically would spin more. Combine that with any difference in shafts and the jump you saw seemed reasonable.

I am with you in the sense that I worry about my gapping in my wedges and woods. My next set of clubs will be the cobra CB/MBs instead of something like the F9s. Sure, the F9s might be easier to hit, but there comes a point where a 7 iron shouldn't have the risk of jumping up to 175-185 yards when i'm completely fine with 140-155 with stopping power.

My vote is always new irons :)

I can't chime in on the loft bending question, but maybe we look at some of the numbers you saw...

So your Z565 7 iron is 31 degree loft. Traditionally I think that puts it roughly like a strong-7/weak 6 range. I have the Cobra Forged Tec Black OL and my 7 iron was spinning at right around 5800-6000 rpm. My 7 iron is 30 degrees and I realize that sort of is like a traditional 6 iron.

The apex pro 19, the Cobra MB blades, and the z965 are all around that 33* mark with the 7 iron and logically would spin more. Combine that with any difference in shafts and the jump you saw seemed reasonable.

I am with you in the sense that I worry about my gapping in my wedges and woods. My next set of clubs will be the cobra CB/MBs instead of something like the F9s. Sure, the F9s might be easier to hit, but there comes a point where a 7 iron shouldn't have the risk of jumping up to 175-185 yards when i'm completely fine with 140-155 with stopping power.

My vote is always new irons :)

Appreciate the response. My thoughts basically stem from the last 2 rounds I have played, where I should have scored much better than I did had it not been for a few balls I hit substantially longer than I thought I should have. I'm just fine dialing back a little to be more consistent. But yeah... seeing the ball fly the green by a ton on shots you thought you would have a tap in for birdie really blows.

If you want more spin you should give the Hogan PTx irons a look. They have a demo / trial program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main problems I see when playing 'longer' clubs that are designed to launch super high as well. Is those low spin flyer balls happen a lot more often.

The conditions on the course are constantly trying to take spin away from you, (rough, dew, blades of grass between ball and clubface etc.) and using low spinning irons only increases the risk of a cannon over the back of the green, or you not having enough spin to stop the ball once it does hit the green. Obviously they are easier to hit/get in the air, but when in actual play you might have a tougher time getting distances bang on.

IMO until your swing is settled in and grooved, I wouldn't switch irons. You maybe seeing balls flying greens because you are striking the ball better as your swing improves. I would say once you feel you are back to 100% then go from there and decide on new or staying with what you have.

IMO until your swing is settled in and grooved, I wouldn't switch irons. You maybe seeing balls flying greens because you are striking the ball better as your swing improves. I would say once you feel you are back to 100% then go from there and decide on new or staying with what you have.

This is the most logical. You obviously were striking the blades and others well enough, so I would club down while you pick out your new irons :)

Here's what I'm looking at. I currently play Srixon Z565 irons, 5-pw. As I'm getting my swing back, I'm starting to see a trend. My tendency to fly greens is becoming more and more consistent. Clubbing down is definitely an option. But I decided yesterday to go in to my local big box store and hit some irons on the launch monitor. Some of the clubs I hit were the Srixon z585,785 and z forged, Callaway Apex pro, couple mizuno irons, and the Cobra blades and forged tec irons. The results were interesting. Hitting 7 irons, ball speed was pretty consistent across the board... 126-130 range. Launch angle was also consistent at 18-19*. But average spin was way different. With the 585 (which is comparable to my 565,) my average spin was in the low 5k range. With the z forged, z965, the cobras and apex pros, my spin jumped up to the mid 6k range with some of them being as high as 7100rpm. Distances were also way different due to the backspin. The 585 I hit a few that carried almost 200yds. The z forged and the cobras honestly felt the most consistent distance wise, which the qc quad verified. Consistent carry in the 180 range with a ton more stopping power.

My question is, do I take my irons in and have them bent a couple degrees weak, or do I step in to a more spinny set of irons? I'm not sure if bending them will completely help or of it'll change the way they look and feel too much. And the distances I'm hitting them right now is a little on the long side to fit my gapping with the wedges and woods. I'd love to hear from anyone that has bent the lofts that much, or some experiences from my fellow thpers.

Thanks

The club design of the 565's is causing the spin difference, so bending them weak might not do much. You might get a slightly higher launching club, but the ball still probably won't spin much more because the club is designed to be lower spin. It's also going to mess with the bounce of the club. Probably not much, but it's still another factor that will be altered to take into consideration. For me, 5k spin is too low for a 7. I'd go new irons just for the heck of it haha

The club design of the 565's is causing the spin difference, so bending them weak might not do much. You might get a slightly higher launching club, but the ball still probably won't spin much more because the club is designed to be lower spin. It's also going to mess with the bounce of the club. Probably not much, but it's still another factor that will be altered to take into consideration. For me, 5k spin is too low for a 7. I'd go new irons just for the heck of it haha
New and shiny!

New and shiny!

Look, Kevin, I am totally sensing your hesitation in buying new clubs at the cost of your loved 565s...how about we BOTH buy new sets of irons and tough it out together?

Look, Kevin, I am totally sensing your hesitation in buying new clubs at the cost of your loved 565s...how about we BOTH buy new sets of irons and tough it out together?
Haha. Man those z forged look soooooooo sexy!

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

And if your clubs can be bent, I would bend them weak to see if it fixes the gapping. A lot cheaper in the long run than a new set of irons. Especially if you like the ball flight. If you don't have any problem getting the ball in the air & stopping on the greens & distance isn't an issue then I would think that bending them would solve everything.

Just my .02

i don't like the idea of bending the irons weaker. there's a v sole in play here, and i'm not sure what the bend may affect.

maybe a spinnier, slightly weaker club is the right answer. my vote is for apex pro.

Bending 1* of loft weak would have the same effect on the bounce (-1*) ... which in reality wouldn't be that noticeable.

srixon_edges.jpg

Bending 1* of loft weak would have the same effect on the bounce (-1*) ... which in reality wouldn't be that noticeable.

View attachment 38271
I've gone +/- 1* on alot of my irons. Actually, my 565s are already 1* weak. Taking then to 3 or 4* weak seems a little extreme to me.

I've gone +/- 1* on alot of my irons. Actually, my 565s are already 1* weak. Taking then to 3 or 4* weak seems a little extreme to me.

Typically forged irons can be bent 3 - 4* one way or the other without any issues. But if you aren't comfortable with that then you just might have to stop hitting the ball so damn far & adjust your swing! LOL :act-up:

That's always the cheapest route.

Typically forged irons can be bent 3 - 4* one way or the other without any issues. But if you aren't comfortable with that then you just might have to stop hitting the ball so damn far & adjust your swing! LOL :act-up:

That's always the cheapest route.
I hear ya. Thank you, sir.

Back