New HC Rule, following or not?

This is the one rule in golf that I would break every time. I don't play a lot of solo rounds, but if and when I do, it will get posted.

I will follow it. I don't like it, but I will follow it.
Dean this isn't directed specifically at you, but for those that are going to follow the rule and not post, will you make your solo rounds practice based, playing multiple balls or shots, assuming you aren't holding up play?

I am trying to understand the reasoning or need for this new rule...IMO perhaps with so many trying to post a low hcp's to qualify to enter Tourneys, would this may keep the entries undoubtedly fair?
When that happens you get a letter from the USGA basically saying you suck and you need to show us tournament scores before you play another US Am qualifier or another us open qualifier.

Dean this isn't directed specifically at you, but for those that are going to follow the rule and not post, will you make your solo rounds practice based, playing multiple balls or shots, assuming you aren't holding up play?

I mean if one is a golfer who goes out and swears up and down that they play by the rules 100% of the time, then why would one say that they will not follow this rule? Really it just makes me want to play with other golfers more often. Instead of going out as a single, perhaps try and pair up with someone.

I know you weren't directing straight at me, but I don't play the game of golf for my handicap. So not being able to input scores, it's just not a huge deal to me. I play solo during the week most of the time, but it's rare that I do that on the weekend. The multiple balls part, I love doing that. I enjoy going out on the course at night and practicing different bunker shots or putts. I get out late and I use that time to practice.

I'll do a mix. Sometimes I'll go 100% by the rules to measure myself in tournament conditions. Other times I'll play multiple balls if pace allows.

I guess that's one advantage of the rule - when people's score starts going in an undesired direction, they don't have to pull the old, "I'll drop an extra ball on 17 so the round won't count" routine.

I will say "maybe". I still like to go out and try to shoot a number, it gives me a feel for what needs to be worked on. My social rounds are more about fun and I use solo rounds as a way to get into tournament golf mode. With this change I will definitely be more lax about dropping a second ball and trying to execute the shot I intended.

Haha. As a measure to grow the game from the usga. That is hysterical.

But then again, based on the thoughts in here, nobody should be discussing this rule change. Just form a line with whatever the governing bodies say. :alien:

Last edited:
The rule is a farce. Your playing partners are not required to have cards. They could be weekend hackers who play with foot wedges.

I haven't renewed my GHIN yet because I haven't re-joined my league. I'm making better contact with the ball which makes the red tees way too short for me. I need to play the "senior tees" but the ladies clubs won't let me and this means I end up hitting a 5 iron on most every par 4 so I don't end up in the woods on the dog legs. But I might renew through ProGolf Tacoma so I can get green fee discounts at The Home Course and a couple of others in the area. I don't really care that much about my handicap because I don't play in tournaments - there's no money in them and they cost a lot to enter when you factor in hotels. I know what I score. Not carrying a handicap won't affect my goals.

The only reason to do so is so I can make sure that Game Golf has accurate rating and slopes for women on the courses. They sometimes don't. The GHIN rating/slope doesn't match Game Golf, so they get an e-mail. Game Golf also gives me a sort of handicap in addition to stat tracking.

What this means is that my solo rounds this year will be practice rounds, with extra balls, improved lies from rocks and roots, or out of woods if I'm working on something, and no true score being kept. I'll treat them as a driving range with grass where I get to practice hitting from different lies. Extra shots from bunkers. As long as I'm not holding up play, it should be fine.

Also remember, the one with the fastest cart never has a bad lie.

That makes sense then.

I understand the intent of the rule, it's just an impotent rule. There is no value to it, as has been stated before its just as easy to sandbag with other people around. Cheaters gonna cheat. Can't stop them.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

It's only an impotent rule if one chooses to ignore it. And if one does choose to do so, then aren't you just giving justification for them instituting the rule? You are all saying that by instituting this rule they are questioning your integrity, yet by ignoring the rule and posting solo scores you are proving them correct. Think about it.

I am trying to understand the reasoning or need for this new rule...IMO perhaps with so many trying to post a low hcp's to qualify to enter Tourneys, would this may keep the entries undoubtedly fair?
If people lie on their posted scores, they'll find a way to lie when saying they played an attested score (i.e., using a Type 3 club to post scores).

I'll be posting every round I play regardless.

If u post rounds regardless then is your handicap still "official"? If the answer is no then why pay for one when their are free unofficial options?

I mean if one is a golfer who goes out and swears up and down that they play by the rules 100% of the time, then why would one say that they will not follow this rule? Really it just makes me want to play with other golfers more often. Instead of going out as a single, perhaps try and pair up with someone.

I know you weren't directing straight at me, but I don't play the game of golf for my handicap. So not being able to input scores, it's just not a huge deal to me. I play solo during the week most of the time, but it's rare that I do that on the weekend. The multiple balls part, I love doing that. I enjoy going out on the course at night and practicing different bunker shots or putts. I get out late and I use that time to practice.

I play/practice the exact same way. My handicap is used at corse events and lately at THP events/gatherings. But being out and just playing is the most fun I have!

If u post rounds regardless then is your handicap still "official"? If the answer is no then why pay for one when their are free unofficial options?
Logic doesn't belong in this thread.

when people's score starts going in an undesired direction, they don't have to pull the old, "I'll drop an extra ball on 17 so the round won't count" routine.

seen many do this many times. Only declare it a practice round soon as things start heading south when that was never the intent of the round. This action (if done enough) only results in a vanity cap which hurts no one in a competition unless said person has a teammate who thinks this guy is better than he actually is. But in any case its not the sandbagging that is usually of the greatest concerns. For the most part, this person is only fooling themselves. imo this action has as little or even less integrity or honor than the sandbagging.

I mean to cheat another (although a terrible thing with complete lack of honor and integrity) at least has a reason. Even Tom Brady had a reason to cheat...lol.. (I always seem to throw this in somewhere somehow:)
But to fool only oneself? I mean really? where's any integrity in that? Its just as bad and maybe even worse. Your basically believing your own lies. I mean cheeeeze, just let the crappy round fall into the lower 10 of last 20 and suffer what ever the minimal consequences might be. I mean once in a while probably no big deal but if one does fool his own self enough times due to enough crappy rounds (which does happen) then one is really not the player they are fooling themselves into believeing they are and it can make a pretty big difference towards a false vanity cap. I call them Ego caps. And obtained at the expense of self integrity. But hey, do what you want.

I'm posting as long as my course agrees. Screw the USGA! Course has a meeting next week and we will find out if they will keep posting lone rounds.

Im posting solo for sure. Piss on them. The entire game, and the whole handicap system is based on honor anyway. I see more cheating in groups.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If we as a public are not critical of governing bodies, then things never get changed. Somebody was critical of people submitting solo rounds, and things changed for better or worse. We have to be vocal and critical otherwise nobody will want to improve.

Gentleman, I will attest every one of your rounds as we are "partners"

If there are clubs without real estate, I'm sure we can all be partners without proximity.

I usually play as a single, but not solo, when I'm somewhere besides my club. If I play solo after work somewhere, I will try to remember not to post it, but I won't get up in arms if I forget and post it on my phone as I'm walking to my car.

I follow it but only because on the rare occasion I am playing solo I usually play 2-3 balls and don't post scores from those rounds

I had intended to follow then forgot about the rule and posted 3 rounds, may I burn in hell for posting an honest 92, 89 and 86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there are clubs without real estate, I'm sure we can all be partners without proximity.

I usually play as a single, but not solo, when I'm somewhere besides my club. If I play solo after work somewhere, I will try to remember not to post it, but I won't get up in arms if I forget and post it on my phone as I'm walking to my car.

You can actually do so with the THP Handicap.

Some interesting and good thoughts in here.

For me I'm not sure I'll play enough rounds with others to make a difference in my HC. I may play a total of 10-15 rounds total and not always own ball.

I also don't plan on playing in any HC events unless it's a THP event.

Officially unofficial or is it unofficially official?

Either way I'll have a HC.

You can actually do so with the THP Handicap.

Soo is the club saying post'em if every other rule is followed?

With out an actual count of the vote it seems the body votes unanimously to ignore the rule.

That's not how Type 3 clubs work.

It's within a 50 mile radius of the principal location of the clubs base.

I will say that Type 3 clubs using the US Handicap site to do the calculations, are not asking YET if rounds were played accompanied, but according to USGA rules concerning clubs (if I am understanding things correctly), if found in violation of that rule, they will be found not in compliance and can lose their handicap granting status.

As a Chair of a Type 3 club on US Handicap I am actually asked to setup tee times on occasion for the club members to meet up and play together. They don't have to, but I am asked to make that effort.

Last edited:
I think the rule sucks but I don't think we get to chose which rules we do or do not follow! Handicaps would mean nothing if we each chose a rule we didn't like and did it "OUR WAY". Just a point of view to think about. Petitioning the USGA to change the rule would make more sense! To each his own!

Back