Ben Hogan Ft Worth, PTX & Tommy Armour 845s Comparison

ackman13

Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a set of Hogan PTX irons about 7 months ago. They are great feeling clubs and perform pretty well - though I have been inconsistent with them. Of course, I am returning to golf seriously after not playing much for health and personal reasons. I am still a ways from the 6 handicap I used to have. I played two weeks ago and fought a pull and a hook off and on during the round.

I have been trying other irons along the way - including a set of MacGregor VIPs like I played for many years and now I found a set of 845s. I also decided to demo Ben Hogan Company's Fort Worth Black irons - which are the closest thing to the traditional blade they offer. The company sent me a 6 and 9 iron. I went to the driving range at my course and hit the 6 & 9 irons from all three sets. The 9 irons were all pretty similar with the Ft Worth irons feeling amazingly good.
The 6 irons were another matter. I pulled hooked the PTX on almost every shot. I hit both the Ft Worth and Tommy Armour's straight with a very slight draw. They both felt great. The Ft Worth Black irons are incredible irons. I highly recommend them. The Tommy Armour's were great too. Both felt solid and easy to hit - much more so than my PTX. If I hadto do it over again I would have bought the Fort Worth irons. The 845s feel amazingly good and is the set of irons I played when I played my best golf.

Have a fun Ben Hogan event coming this summer where every participant gets new clubs, so there is always that : )

I played 845s for many years and my son still uses my old set. They were great irons and you can still hit the same great shots as yesteryear with them. They are cast game improvement irons with a great feel. The PTx are my current gamers and are packed with newer technology with a forged feel. The 7-PW have a titanium core with a heavy tungsten weight that moves weight around the perimeter to make them somewhat forgiving. The 4-6 are a hollow body design that promotes a higher ball flight. I absolutely love my 7-PW and the 4-6 are a bit "clicky" but I am satisfied with the shots they produce. I have hit the FT. Worth irons only once and hit them reasonably well but I know my ball striking is not good enough some days to bag them.

Since you already own the PTx I would suggest keeping them on the back burner while you experiment with different clubs. You may just prefer a cast iron and the Hogans may not be for you. I would bet the pull hook you were seeing at the range will subside once you get your game back in single digit shape. If the 845s give you confidence then I would play them until you feel they are limiting you on the course.

Have a fun Ben Hogan event coming this summer where every participant gets new clubs, so there is always that : )

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

YES!

What's the offset on the PTX's? There is very little on the Ft. Worths. You might not think it, but offset can certainly affect the balls path. Especially if you are a bit 'hands-y". I found that with the M2 Irons a few years ago. Every iron was pulled or hooked. I'd rather find clubs with very little offset, rather than try and change the swing I've had for 45 years.

There isn't much more offset in the PTX vs the Ft. Worth. Search both club threads on the forum. I have done some testing/measuring on all 3 Hogan clubs...FT. Worth, PTX, and Edge. I went with the Ft. Worth because I couldn't find much difference between it and the PTX....and I got a new set of Ft. Worth 15s for a song!

Back