Do you want the Masters to allow the Flagstick to be left in during putting?

Do you want the Masters to allow the Flagstick to be left in during putting?

• Allow players to leave flagstick in

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • Scrap the rule during the Masters tournament

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 29 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have heard on multiple telecasts that The Masters could disallow the practice of leaving the flagstick in during putting. As we all know, the Masters does pretty well whatever they want and could shun this rule feeling that the Augusta greens are all about the art and skill of precision putting. By allowing the flag to be in, many feel that this would take away some of the allure of Augusta's greens.

I thought initially to ask the question, will the Masters ban the flagstick rule in and ask I write this question I am thinking, that is a very difficult question to give an educated response. Instead the question is that do you, the viewer, want the Masters to disallow, allow or you don't care what they do with the flagstick?

Please vote in the poll and provide your thoughts.

Personally, I hope they disallow leaving the putter in. I am nostalgia at heart and I believe the greens at Augusta are truly an art and a skilled player should not have the benefit of leaving the flag in. At least on the PGA Tour I don't believe it (the flagstick rule) is speeding the game up although I can see in the amateur ranks it could save 5-10 minutes per round if everyone in your foresome is in agreement.

I thought they already announced they were going with the USGA rules as is for The Masters. I personally don't care what they do, especially if it helps a few more long putts go in, because long putts lead to low scores and low scores lead to excitement. It's already the best Sunday back 9 of the year so making it even better is fine by me.

I am okay with it either way, but I voted for leave it in. I don't think it will hurt the "look" of tournament. And it make actually be appealing to the person that only tunes in to the Masters and other majors. That logo on the flag is so iconic that it could enhance the visual aspect IMHO.

I still don't like the rule and have caused some slow down with my local 4 some. A couple guys want it in all the time. Myself, I only want it in for long putts.

I don't like the look on TV, take the flag out!

I thought they already announced they were going with the USGA rules as is for The Masters. I personally don't care what they do, especially if it helps a few more long putts go in, because long putts lead to low scores and low scores lead to excitement. It's already the best Sunday back 9 of the year so making it even better is fine by me.

Every single word my dude

I believe Fred Ridley said back in January (2 months ago) something to the effect that the club would not take such drastic measures but I haven't seen a specific statement since then. The poll question is really to ask your opinion as it relates to the Masters tournament, do you have a personal preference?

I think they should play by the rules of golf regardless of the tournament name!

I believe Fred Ridley said back in January (2 months ago) something to the effect that the club would not take such drastic measures but I haven't seen a specific statement since then. The poll question is really to ask your opinion as it relates to the Masters tournament, do you have a personal preference?
My vote is play by the rules. Let the players choose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Let the players choose!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I think they should play by the rules of golf regardless of the tournament name!

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why do they think they are above everyone else?? So the rules should be changed just for them? They shouldn't abide by the rules of golf? Let's just make a set of rules for the snobs at the Masters.

They can have there choice, either way is fine with me.

Rules are rules. The course/tournament should not be able to change them as they please. Personally I’m not a fan of the new rule but it is what it is

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why do they think they are above everyone else?? So the rules should be changed just for them? They shouldn't abide by the rules of golf? Let's just make a set of rules for the snobs at the Masters.

Local rules imposed by tournament organizers happen all the time.

I don't really care.

I trust Fred Ridley to make the right call. After all, he's a member at one of the most exclusive clubs in South Tampa, Palma Ceia. Haha.

Really couldn't care less about this.

Also, what rules historically has Augusta said nope to? They've done stuff about membership and sponsors, but the actual rules of golf I can't think of any off the top my head.

Yes. The USGA has given the players the option so that rule should apply across the board at every course.

Is there a rule that governs local rules; in terms of what rules can be modified by the course, for the course? Asking because I have no idea.

Regardless, I'm not a fan of 'local rules', though I understand they are in place to improve the pace of play. And, I do not believe modifying the flagstick option rule will have anything to do with the pace of play at the Masters.

The Master’s is unique in the world of tournament golf and I’d like to see the flagsticks being pulled on those slick greens. A big part of what separates the Masters is the extreme stress those slick Augusta greens put on a players nerves and it’s part of what makes the tournment so fun to watch. I don’t want to see those nerves reduced on a downhill 5 footer because they have a backstop.

Doesn't bother me either way. I might lean one way or the other if I see it on a few greens, but for now I don't care.

I say take the flag out, it looks dumb & I think the rule is dumb.

On one hand it would be cool to see the Masters keep the traditional style and have them take it out, on the other even masters has evolved so leaving it in provides a benefit ... Still, I voted to have it out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back