Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

I was 5/7 FIR when I hit driver today. One thing I love about the driver is the ball flight and while I know there is a lot more to that then just the head, I really believe the low spin nature of the head is allowing me to get more carry with a higher ball flight. It's not a balloon flight but more of a climbing flight that I'm loving.

I was 5/7 FIR when I hit driver today. One thing I love about the driver is the ball flight and while I know there is a lot more to that then just the head, I really believe the low spin nature of the head is allowing me to get more carry with a higher ball flight. It's not a balloon flight but more of a climbing flight that I'm loving.

I would argue that outside of the swing, the head is the driving force (more than you read about online anyway). You hammered this thing when I saw it and I am glad its continuing.

I've had a 2016 DBD 10.5 with the old and famous Motore Speeder VC6.2 tour stiff on Trackman. Holy smokes!
Outperformed everything I've ever hit: great launch, great flight, good spin, able the shape it (a bit, I'm not that good) goth fade and draw, shoot high and low, even high-spin knuckle balls.

Ball used was Pro V1x 2015.
Spin consistently in 2000-2100 range.
Launch 14-14.5°
I'm hitting on an out to in path of about 2°, club face to path 1-1.5° open
About 3° up on contact

Hitting 245-250(m) carry on a swingspeed of 104-107, makes my smash somewhere in the 1.42-1.47 range if I recall correctly.

Now I'm not very sure about the peak hight of the shots, I'm thinking about 30-33m. I do remember teeing it up half as high and trying to hit low balls and these being about 30% lower, so that's good :)

Only thing is that I really need new irons and am actually quite satisfied with my trusty old PING Anser 9.5°.. I was offered a great deal on the combination though.

Glad to hear it's working for you. Good feedback.

Had a great day with this club today. Hit it well and it was long. Great ball flight!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Asked my fitter where the DBD head was as I was tinkering the other day he said they are back ordered for his fitting cart because of demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone compared the DBD to the XR 16 Pro?

Has anyone compared the DBD to the XR 16 Pro?
I gamed the 816 prior to switching to the xr16 pro. For me, I am finding center face much more with xr16 pro, and getting similar low spin with touch more forgiveness. Sweetspot on the xr seems bigger for sure. I'm usually about a centimeter around the dead center mark and see virtually no difference in flight, spin or distance.

Bear in mind that I truly believe the way you are swinging at the time has more influence on choosing a club imo

I gamed the 816 prior to switching to the xr16 pro. For me, I am finding center face much more with xr16 pro, and getting similar low spin with touch more forgiveness. Sweetspot on the xr seems bigger for sure. I'm usually about a centimeter around the dead center mark and see virtually no difference in flight, spin or distance.

Bear in mind that I truly believe the way you are swinging at the time has more influence on choosing a club imo

Thanks for the feedback. So if I can generalize you're looking at similar distance with better forgiveness? I'm trying to hold out and see if the Sub-Zero gets released but we'll see how strong my will power is. I'm actually getting great accuracy out of the DBD right now but more forgiveness is never a bad thing.

Thanks for the feedback. So if I can generalize you're looking at similar distance with better forgiveness? I'm trying to hold out and see if the Sub-Zero gets released but we'll see how strong my will power is. I'm actually getting great accuracy out of the DBD right now but more forgiveness is never a bad thing.
I'm hitting the xr longer but that's due to mostly better strikes. Whether that's better swings, the club weight+shaft flex profile fitting me better, or some combination of those among other things who knows lol.

The xr16 pro head is definitely on the lighter side (IIRC WITH FEEL)

BBA816 DBD was good to me today. Going without any range time on the course, in wet and rainy conditions, I was pretty much able to count on 250 to 260 with a touch of fade. Ball flight was a bit low compared to my time on the sim, so a move up from 8 degrees will be in order next time out.

The thing that stood out to me today was the sound. So freaking addicting, and a great improvement from my last driver. Guess I need to update my signature.

First round yesterday with the 816 in the bag and hit 9 out of 14 fairways which is higher than normal for me with the GBB. Definitely took some getting used to but very surprised how well I was able to control and swing with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I love this club. I hit 11/14 fairways and the ones I missed were in the first cut and one OB.

I played with a friend who historically is a longer hitter than me off the by 20 yds or so. I kept up with him for the most part and that's impressive. A few tee shots measured in at 260 & 263 total distance and I'll take that all day.

The forgiveness is still there, but paired with the Hashimoto, it's perfect for me.

Man I love this club. I hit 11/14 fairways and the ones I missed were in the first cut and one OB.

I played with a friend who historically is a longer hitter than me off the by 20 yds or so. I kept up with him for the most part and that's impressive. A few tee shots measured in at 260 & 263 total distance and I'll take that all day.

The forgiveness is still there, but paired with the Hashimoto, it's perfect for me.

I know how much you love this club and I'm right there with you. Probably the most confidence I've ever had in a driver

I know how much you love this club and I'm right there with you. Probably the most confidence I've ever had in a driver

Getting dialed in with this one is key. Knowing your miss on the face and utilizing the gravity core has unlocked a great driver for me. I'm so hooked on this one.

Put this driver back in the bag on a whim today and had a blast with it. One really poor top toe strike that resulted in trouble but every other drive was well struck including a couple bombs.

I was really positive in the review and I get why. When swinging well, this head opens the door for some really impressive numbers.

Put this driver back in the bag on a whim today and had a blast with it. One really poor top toe strike that resulted in trouble but every other drive was well struck including a couple bombs.

I was really positive in the review and I get why. When swinging well, this head opens the door for some really impressive numbers.

Paired with the HZRDUS black correct?

After a rough round while on vacation, I got to the range to straighten out the swing and spend some time with this beast. Love the launch that I am seeing. I was mostly right around the sweet spot and was treated to some high bombs. The bad swings where I was really low and on the heel were quite unforgiving in launch and distance. it isn't the most forgiving driver I've played, but on well struck shots, it is an animal.

I really enjoyed my time with this club. It just seemed a little hotter than the GBB (excellent club) and the ball just seemed to have a heavier penetration line. I'd love to bag this club again.

Really liking what I"m seeing out of this club on the range. Can't wait to take it to a course.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

Had a better day on course with the driver today. Got a little stuck with a couple swings, but the distance on all drives was great. Hit one drive 295, probably my longest drive ever that wasn't on a downhill.

The sound of this driver is incredible. Such an improvement for me.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

Had a better day on course with the driver today. Got a little stuck with a couple swings, but the distance on all drives was great. Hit one drive 295, probably my longest drive ever that wasn't on a downhill.

The sound of this driver is incredible. Such an improvement for me.

I love hearing this. I can't wait to get out on the course and see how I get along with the driver paired with the hashimoto

18 planned tomorrow. I can't wait to get this one in play. Paired with the Hashimoto it's a beast for me.

Back