Rick Shiels - Groove Sharpener Test

-CRW-

Reaction score

+600 rpm added to a 7i and wedge, with no loss of distance. Interesting and proves the tools do/can work as advertised.

It would be interesting to see the sharpened clubs compared to brand new clubs of the same make/model to see if the sharpener brought them back to new condition or less/more spin than they originally had.

Also, it would have been nice to see him measure the depths of the grooves before and after sharpening to see if the groove depth changed or just the actual sharpness of the edge of the grooves. Though, I'm leaning towards the groove edge being sharpened as the primary culprit to the change due to the added wear he reported seeing on the new golf ball.

I daren't imagine what effect that would have playing into the wind, he'd 100% see a bigger drop off there.

Balloons here , there and everywhere

I watched this a few days ago. Like he said, not sure it is worth doing it at the risk the grooves are deemed illegal. Although I will never participate in a tournament that would check equipment that closely, I still like to have my equipment within the rules of the game.

I watched this last night, quite interesting. He was killing those grooves.

I daren't imagine what effect that would have playing into the wind, he'd 100% see a bigger drop off there.

Balloons here , there and everywhere

Not even close. The tour average for spin on a 7 iron is just over 7k (7097). He didn't even reach that after the sharpening.

He even said he "really went at the grooves" with 10 minutes on each club. That would certainly make the possibility of making the grooves illegal a given.

But to clean up some shaky edges on the face, I can't see a problem giving a few swipes with the tool.

It's interesting data ... But even Rick said he wasn't sure what difference it would actually make on the course.

One of those interesting but pointless videos.

Yes it makes a difference but ...
A) you don't know what effect it has.
B) you potentially make clubs illegal.

I do give Rick credit though for calling those out.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

Yep very interesting. If nothing else it makes me believe that it makes sense that I’ve been replacing my wedges every 1-2 for the last couple decades and maybe I can justify getting new irons every couple years!:banana:

Yep very interesting. If nothing else it makes me believe that it makes sense that I’ve been replacing my wedges every 1-2 for the last couple decades and maybe I can justify getting new irons every couple years!:banana:
That was my argument too :). I took my old wedges into a shop and they laughed at me.

They were like , let me guess, your having trouble with spin :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I’ve considered buying a sharpener to sharpen my wedges after 6 months of use. And then replace the clubs annually. I pretty much do the replacement part already just because.

I read that wedges should be replaced after ever 75 rounds. I play about 200 rounds a year, plus a lot of short game practice. I can't replace my wedges that often. I also read that some pros replace their wedges every few weeks. Makes me wonder what the point is in purchasing premium balls since most of us don't have grooves "sharp" enough to take advantage of a urethane covered ball.

I've used a groove sharpener on an old wedge to see what would happen. The grooves on the wedge were crushed and closed up. The groove sharpener opened them up and made it play like new again.The downside is that once you sharpen, then you have to do so again more often.

I need the groove dulling tool. I spin the heck out of everything. My irons basically spin the same number they are x1000, ex 8i 8,000.

Where I’d like the help is with less than 3/4 swings. If I could get hop and stop from 30 yards, that’d be a game changer. I can get that but with balls that’ll spin off the course with driver.

Looking over this post it’s pretty apparent as always that golf is a game that just can’t be conquered. Mastered, sure. By pro’s and high level Am’s. Conquered? Not by anyone. I read once where the Swiss golfers always had a goal of 54. That’s hitting every green in regulation and making every putt. Be nice to see someone do that someday. Won’t ever happen because golf cannot be conquered. That would be conquering it. Until someone does that, it can’t be conquered.

Back