Taylormade RBZ 3(or 5) wood Vs Callaway 816 3(or 5) Wood

thecolonel

Reaction score
Handicap
I appreciate these clubs are 5+ years apart but wondering if anyone had the RBZ and then went to the Callaway some time later?

Any feedback appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I appreciate these clubs are 5+ years apart but wondering if anyone had the RBZ and then went to the Callaway some time later?

Any feedback appreciated

Thanks

Exactly what I did. I had a rbz stage 2 3-wood I couldn't hit for anything. Then I won some store credit for Callaway and from suggestions from people on here I went with a rogue 4 wood with hzrdus yellow and cut down 1/2" I think

Turned out my issue with the rbz was too low launch, lower loft made it harder to get in the air, and the shaft was too long..

Love my 4w, I get the same distance as I did the rbz (maybe 5-10 less for off the deck), but I can launch it and not slice the crap out of it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Exactly what I did. I had a rbz stage 2 3-wood I couldn't hit for anything. Then I won some store credit for Callaway and from suggestions from people on here I went with a rogue 4 wood with hzrdus yellow and cut down 1/2" I think

Turned out my issue with the rbz was too low launch, lower loft made it harder to get in the air, and the shaft was too long..

Love my 4w, I get the same distance as I did the rbz (maybe 5-10 less for off the deck), but I can launch it and not slice the crap out of it

Ah, I was meaning the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 as opposed to the Rogue....

Unless you're telling me theyre the same club?? I wouldn't know...

I had the RBZ 3 wood and switched to the 816 3 wood and had it in the bag for a few years.

I loved the sound of the RBZ and the thing was a distance monster for sure. Probably the best fairway released at that time and I had no desire to take it out of the bag. But when I was fit into the 816 (3 and 5 wood) I dont think I have had more fun with a club than I had with that 3 wood. Crazy long off the tee and didnt lose much yardage off the deck either. There were times when I was struggling with the driver and I would have the 816 as my crutch. The 816 was recently replaced by the Rogue for a couple reasons, forgiveness being one but thats not to say the 816 was unforgiving. Its just a testament to jailbreak

Ah, I was meaning the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 as opposed to the Rogue....

Unless you're telling me theyre the same club?? I wouldn't know...

No they are not the same club, I honestly just did not see that in the title and thought you were inquiring about the switch to Callaway in general. The rogue has the jailbreak teck, 816 was before that I believe.

Probably can't go wrong with the 816, but I really like my rogue .. I'm sure stores still have them to demo if you look around

No they are not the same club, I honestly just did not see that in the title and thought you were inquiring about the switch to Callaway in general. The rogue has the jailbreak teck, 816 was before that I believe.

Probably can't go wrong with the 816, but I really like my rogue .. I'm sure stores still have them to demo if you look around

Thanks for clarifying!

I still haven’t found anything to knock my 816 3wd out of the bag. I can get the loft down to 13* which is big for me since I send everything to the moon or even higher. Nice wind fighting bullets, IF I do my job.

The RBZ 3 wood is deep faced and exceptional from the tee (at that time). It was the infamous Taylormade club that prompted the "+17 yards" ad campaign that everyone who hated TM phooey'd. It turned out not to be just hype; it was 17 yards longer then their previous 3 woods and they had one proudly on display at TM headquarters in Carlsbad. It was much more difficult to use from the fairway and something addressed in the Stage 2, supposedly. The RBZ I believe was the biggest hit ever for TM, so the follow up Stage 2 seemed to come up a bit flat.

The Big Bertha Alpha 816 is the opposite from the RBZ 3 from the fairway. The compact Warbird sole just cuts through the turf and makes it very easy to elevate. The face is hot and long, and by this time, everyone had caught up to TM when it came to distance. Two things to note on this fairway wood. Although it may not appear to be a Warbird sole, it actually is. Secondly, although this club was marketed by Callaway as a players fairway wood, it turned out that the 4 wood had the highest MOI and was the most forgiving fairway wood the 2015 Callaway lineup.

I bag the 4 or 5 depending on what course I'm playing. If you want a long tee club, the RBZ is a cheap and long choice, otherwise the Alpha 816 is far superior in every way.

I had both of them, still have the 816 which is my favorite fairway wood ever.

I had and loved the RBZ 3 wood when I had it, and later went to the 816. At the time the 816 came out, it was the best FW I had ever tried for me. I still use the 816 5 wood, but the newer Callaway 3 woods have been great for me as well. I have a 3 wood from the lines XR16 pro, 816, epic, and Rogue.

Back