Put some old friends in play yesterday

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Going thru the clubs in the garage last week and saw a box with the irons I hit till a few years ago, TM burner 2.0 with steel 85 gm TM regular shafts. Unboxed them and got the grips changed to GP tour velvet 360's. Went to the range the following day and gave them a go. Felt great with a high launch. Played yesterday and was very happy with the results. Distance was within 3 to 5 yds of the D7 irons I've been playing a couple months. What I really liked was the high ball flight of the 5 thru PW.
Last 2 sets of irons were Cleveland Launcher 5 thru PW with C Kua 6A senior shifts and the WS D7 irons with Recoil 460 A flex se or shafts.

The ball flight of both previous irons was lower than the steel regular shafts of the Burner 2.0 shafts. Going to stay with the Burner 2.0 irons for a while and enjoy the high ball flight and hit, hop & stop action on the greens.

Not going back near as far as you, but I have the Mizuno JPX 900 Forged irons in the bag for today's round. Will be the first time hitting them in about 10 months.

Put some old friends in play yesterday

I didn’t go all in on a full set time shift- I am waiting for Hogan to release the 18* Hi Iron to fill in below my Black 4I to use off the tee when I need it. But- I went through my collection and remembered my Hogan Ft. Worth Edge set. Actually, the 3 Iron from that set. I haven’t used them since 2014, but were re-gripped towards the end of the season. I brought it to the range along with a bargain bin 2 iron, and the 3I from my gigagolf set from 2017. I couldn’t believe the size of the GG 3 iron compared to the Hogan’s. Looked like a shovel down there. Couldn’t hit it consistently at all. The 2 iron played like a bargain bin 2 iron. No clue where it was going and I think the sweet spot was the size of a ball dimple. Stinging hands with everything.
But the Hogan Edge 3I? It was like an old friend. Felt pure once I dialed in the flight I wanted. Piercing bullet with a bit of draw when I wanted, and a soft high fade when I wanted. Even though the grip is fairly new, it is a tour wrap and feels different. I’m going to put a Lamkin that matches the Blacks on it and put it into play. Hopefully tomorrow, when the weather looks pretty good to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to venture a guess as to why the Burner 2.0 irons go higher than both Cleveland and D7 irons. Don't think it's the steel shaft so much as the 2.0 iron design. Lots of mass & the flange create the high launch and similar distances as the 2 previous irons.

I play with a different setup virtually every time I Golf. I can golf again tomorrow after being sidelined for a couple weeks (from swinging) due to a minor operation. I have a 4-6i set of Epic irons thanks to someone here. The first and only time I hit them, 4i go FAR. Crazy far considering it was 38* and the ball plugged. I have no idea if the gapping will work but right now I plan to have the 4-6 Epics then 6- GW with my Vapor Speeds. I think it’ll gap right based on Epic 4i distance. Which leaves only 1 non-set wedge, which I’ll probably either use a 52* or a 54* depending on the course. My previous biggest gap was from 3+w to 4i and it was 50-60 yards. Early returns on the Epic 4i have it within 20-25 yards of the 3+w. I can hit every wedge shot with a 52 or 54* so that doesn’t really concern me. It’ll be nice if the Epic 4i works off the tee and fits in the middle of the 50-60 yard gap I have. I’ve tried lots of things for that slot and the few things that go the right distance, are things I can’t consistently hit. 2 hybrid. Driving irons. Etc.

A 5w wouldn’t be a bad choice for me if wind blowing wasn’t a thing. I can’t flight them low enough to have any wind fighting ability at all. Early return on the Epic 4i have been crazy good.

Upon further consideration... I did some internet searching for some specs on that Hogan 3 Iron. As it turns out, it's only 21* as best I can figure. So not really a fill in below the 22* 4 Iron of The Blacks. However- between the time I posted that and now (actually, about 3 hours ago) Hogan released the 18* Ft. Worth Hi Iron.

It's on it's way...

I was in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago, and found a set I had given my brother years ago...Powerbilt TPS 6.0 (Circa 1999). Took them out for a round, and was reminded how forgiving they are. Played as well with them as anything else...

Bottom Line-I will no longer need to drag my clubs to AZ when I visit.

I think I paid $200.00 (new) when I bought them.

Look at my signature...

I'm still playing the Burner 2.0's I bought back in 2011.
I have tried a lot of irons since then, but I have yet to find anything to push them out of the bag.
"Hello friends"....

Look at my signature...

I'm still playing the Burner 2.0's I bought back in 2011.
I have tried a lot of irons since then, but I have yet to find anything to push them out of the bag.
"Hello friends"....

Played yesterday and today with the 2.0's. Man do I LOVE the height these iron go, and only slightly less distance than the Cleveland CBX irons or the Wilson Staff D7 irons previously played, more distance in the air than both sets too. What I also like is playing steel 85 gram regular shafts. This ole fogey stoggie don't need no stinkin graphite senior shafts.

Most Well Pleased with the Burner 2.0 irons, can't wait till Thursday and Friday for more golf.

5 Ronds with the TM Burner 2.0 irons and loving em more & more.

Since I took them out of the bag in 2015 I've probably spent $4,000.00 on various latest trick of the week sets of irons. Smacking my for head with palm of right hand:banghead::confused2::dohanim::dohanim::dohanim:

Well, at least I have Cleveland CBX irons & Wilson Staff D7 irons as spares.

Back