Topping ball help, odd way of hitting it...

RKM25

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else have this issue, or have a remedy. (yes I am taking lessons, and have spoken to the pro about it, but nothing solid has come of it yet) so I thought I'd come to you guys and see what your thoughts might be.

Basically, if I line up the ball in the middle of my stance, with my club head next to it(pitching wedge)(same with most clubs) I will generally top the ball, with varying success.

But, if I have the ball in line with my left foot(right handed) and have my club centered at adress(as if the ball was in the correct place) but obviously looking at the ball when I take my swing, I hit it absolutely perfect 7 times out of 10. The reason for the few miss hits is generally not laying the ball on the correct place in regards to the front of my left foot.

Now I know this isn't normal, and I know it's generally a drill to help you get over the ball. But it's the only thing that seems to work!? Has anyone got any suggestions to What's going on?

My pro last lesson said I am now getting over to my left foot in my swing now which is good, but still I am. Topping...

Any help, thoughts appreciated. I know a video would help.

this one is hard without seeing your swing.... it could be a number of things. my guess is one of 2 things either you are flipping your release causing your thin topped shots. Or the second that i think is more likely the center/ bottom of your swing is in front of the ball causing you to hit the top of the ball. it would also make sense since you are hitting better contact on the ball being forward in your stance.

What has worked for me is find where your swing bottoms out for every club and put the ball 1/2 ball back in your stance from that point.

Topping (and fat shots too) are usually caused by early extension (standing up through the shot) causing loss of low-point control. You can try moving the ball back, especially if it is forward of your left arm pit. Check with your pro to see if you are casting the club (early release of wrist cock).

I would say to watch your divot to find where the bottom of your swing is if you think ball placement is the issue. Your divot should be in front of the ball. I've actually found that moving the ball back in my stance a bit has given me more consistent ball striking with my irons.

Thank you for the responses!

It seems most are suggesting to attempt to move the ball back from centre opposed to forward(which i have been doing). i will give this ago at the range tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Ill also try and get a video of the two variants i am talking about, then presumably upload them to Youtube!?

I initially did think it was me not having the bottom of my swing past the ball, which my pro said it was. But i sorted that out, but yet it still continues. Its just really odd how the ball can be so far away, and i strike it so much better! as i never get any height out of any of my shots unless i move the ball to my left leg.

Im hoping by moving the ball back it might work. ill also try and consciously keep my club handle in front of the ball, and not lift up to quickly.

It's also been suggested to me that i could not be going steep enough on my back swing.

Thank you again for the comments so far!

It seems most are suggesting to attempt to move the ball back from centre opposed to forward(which i have been doing). i will give this ago at the range tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Ill also try and get a video of the two variants i am talking about, then presumably upload them to Youtube!?

I initially did think it was me not having the bottom of my swing past the ball, which my pro said it was. But i sorted that out, but yet it still continues. Its just really odd how the ball can be so far away, and i strike it so much better! as i never get any height out of any of my shots unless i move the ball to my left leg.

Im hoping by moving the ball back it might work. ill also try and consciously keep my club handle in front of the ball, and not lift up to quickly.

It's also been suggested to me that i could not be going steep enough on my back swing.

So when the ball is more forward in your stance you are hitting it well, but when you move it back to center you are topping it?

If this is the case I would bet $$ it is one thing causing another...When the ball is back you never get turned behind the ball. This effectively already puts you too far in front of the ball and then the only thing you can do is flip. The center of your chest is way in front and you have zero secondary tilt.

When you move the ball forward it is much easier to turn behind the ball (your head and the center of your chest all already behind the ball). If you flipped from this position you would hit a foot behind the ball.

There are others that can explain it better but keeping your chest pointed down at the ball during impact will help, IMHO.

What type of ball and launch are you seeing when you move the ball forward in your stance? Are you feet square or staggered?

I have the same problem. My pro had me move the ball foreward. My problem is that I bend my left (foreward) elbow. I have to consciously lock the elbow at address. This keeps my swing shorter (which I like, because I tend to sway back) and I make good contact. Locking the elbow and keeping hands and wrists soft is tough. I guess that is why I ain't playing on the weekends on tv.

So when the ball is more forward in your stance you are hitting it well, but when you move it back to center you are topping it?

If this is the case I would bet $$ it is one thing causing another...When the ball is back you never get turned behind the ball. This effectively already puts you too far in front of the ball and then the only thing you can do is flip. The center of your chest is way in front and you have zero secondary tilt.

When you move the ball forward it is much easier to turn behind the ball (your head and the center of your chest all already behind the ball). If you flipped from this position you would hit a foot behind the ball.

Do you have a drill which I could try, to test if this is the case?

What type of ball and launch are you seeing when you move the ball forward in your stance? Are you feet square or staggered?

High, which is what I would expect with a pitching wedge. Goes perfectly into the circle in the driving range which I'm aiming for.

I thint squared, feet parallel with each other. Feet perpendicular to the ball, I hope I've got the right words there...

I have the same problem. My pro had me move the ball foreward. My problem is that I bend my left (foreward) elbow. I have to consciously lock the elbow at address. This keeps my swing shorter (which I like, because I tend to sway back) and I make good contact. Locking the elbow and keeping hands and wrists soft is tough. I guess that is why I ain't playing on the weekends on tv.

I will add this to the list of things to try at the range! Did locking your arms in place, help you to move the ball back to correct place?

High, which is what I would expect with a pitching wedge. Goes perfectly into the circle in the driving range which I'm aiming for.

I thint squared, feet parallel with each other. Feet perpendicular to the ball, I hope I've got the right words there...

No slice, no hook but a straight ball?

No slice, no hook but a straight ball?

Generally yes. Usual swing mistakes apply here and there though. But I can't always do it this way, as it's stupid to be reaching so far everytime, I'm nearly of balance once I hit, as I've moved so far

I've been giving this some thought and I think we are dealing with 'overcrowding'. More than likely when you setup with the ball in the middle of your stance, you aren't making a good move off the ball. The key would be to get your chest over your right leg on the back swing or at least get the left shoulder behind the ball.

If you shoulder staying in front of the ball when you you start the down swing you're already in front of the ball. The natural reaction for the body is to stand tall and this may be causing your topped shots. By moving the ball forward you are creating a false turn, by traditional standards. But if it works I see no issue playing the ball like this. But as your skill level increases this will be a detriment to your game. I would ask your pro to work on a full turn behind the ball with out over swinging. Hope this helps.

I will add this to the list of things to try at the range! Did locking your arms in place, help you to move the ball back to correct place?
I still have the ball just foreward of center. Before, I would hit one fat, top one then hit a good one. You could throw a shank in every once in awhile. Keeping the left elbow straight maximizes the chance that the head will return to where it was. Shortening (bending the elbow) minimizes the chance. Works for me. I might lose a little distance (compared to Internet golfers. Lol), but the ball does seem to have a lot more consistency a lot more direction control. It kind of forces me to turn back and through better. I'll take a few yards shorter, but straighter and airborne any day

Last edited:
I still have the ball just foreward of center. Before, I would hit one fat, top one then hit a good one. You could throw a shank in every once in awhile. Keeping the left elbow straight maximizes the chance that the head will return to where it was. Shortening (bending the elbow) minimizes the chance. Works for me. I might lose a little distance (compared to Internet golfers. Lol), but the ball does seem to have a lot more consistency a lot more direction control. It kind of forces me to turn back and through better. I'll take a few yards shorter, but straighter and airborne any day

Just a drive by suggestion, you may want to have your pro check to see if you are clearing/rotating your left hip during the downswing.

Do you have a drill which I could try, to test if this is the case?

A face on video would be the best.

It is more difficult for some people to turn 'behind' the ball more that others for various reasons, flexibility, bad hip, etc. If you do have trouble turning, try closing your stance a little.

A face on video would be the best.

It is more difficult for some people to turn 'behind' the ball more that others for various reasons, flexibility, bad hip, etc. If you do have trouble turning, try closing your stance a little.

I will try and get a video this weekend. Although the Mrs isnt working this weekend, so might not have a chance. Could you clarify what you mean by closing my stance more?

I've been giving this some thought and I think we are dealing with 'overcrowding'. More than likely when you setup with the ball in the middle of your stance, you aren't making a good move off the ball. The key would be to get your chest over your right leg on the back swing or at least get the left shoulder behind the ball.

If you shoulder staying in front of the ball when you you start the down swing you're already in front of the ball. The natural reaction for the body is to stand tall and this may be causing your topped shots. By moving the ball forward you are creating a false turn, by traditional standards. But if it works I see no issue playing the ball like this. But as your skill level increases this will be a detriment to your game. I would ask your pro to work on a full turn behind the ball with out over swinging. Hope this helps.
This is an awesome answer.

I will try and get a video this weekend. Although the Mrs isnt working this weekend, so might not have a chance. Could you clarify what you mean by closing my stance more?
Feet, hips and shoulders aimed slightly right of your target (for a right hand player).

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I did take this into consideration when I went to the range. But found I was getting behind the ball, or atleast very close to. I tried fixing my. Body in position as well, and doing a short swing, as if I was a pendulum, and even that was quite unpredictable. I think the key to with this is a video. I have a couple on my phone from the other day, when I quickly popped in for the purpose of this. I will up load the videos tomorrow, and see your thoughts.

Once again, cheers guys!

Back