The 2016 Project X HandCrafted Experience - The Greatest Shaft Event Ever Created

If that question I'd open to everyone, would love to talk to them about what the pros ask for and the limitations of the materials used. I'd like to talk to them about how to make a shaft that you can feel load and unload through impact.

If it was for Mizunofan...no one here but us chickens.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I want something with mid spin and mid/high launch. Design wise I'm think something bright maybe some pink in there with blue or white. Maybe some twisting of the colors.

I want to learn what's truth and what's myth, get more knowledge on loft, launch, spin, how those can be impacted by shaft design

If you get in, what are your design thoughts? What type of shaft do you like performance wise. What are you looking forward to learn from the experts?

I am just starting to really become more interested in what the shaft does and meant to do, based on it's design and specs. I'll be honest when I say, I have always just been a person who assumed a certain shaft was what I should use. I have never been fitted, and that's my fault. If I get in, I would love to design a shaft that would really stand out and make my playing partners interested in how I obtained it. I really could use a shaft that gives me a little more kick in launching the ball. I tend to have a medium flight ball which isn't bad out here in the central valley of California. As most of our fairways are really hard and a lot of run out is usually good. I have issues if needing to carry a certain distance and not sure if I can get enough trajectory to clear where I am going. So I am really looking forward to trying to earn a spot in this event.

If you get in, what are your design thoughts? What type of shaft do you like performance wise. What are you looking forward to learn from the experts?

Meeting with experts in this field would help to clear up a lot of questions I have about shafts and how they perform with different swing speeds and tendencies. There's a lot of information out there but more importantly, there's a lot of misinformation out there. Getting to pick the brains of people that do this day in and day out for the best players in the world...that would be one heck of an honor!
With that being said, I would be looking for a shaft that's more penetrating, would tighten up my dispersion and have graphics and colors that bleed cool and confidence!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A stout tip section with a reactive mid section. Low spin with a little higher than low launch.

I am really interested in how they design shafts for the public that is stubborn and resistant to change.

Last edited:

Mid to high launch, optimal spin for my swing characteristics. If I were to get in, I'd love to learn how to apply what works best for me, why it works, and why anything different doesn't work. We here X spin is best, X Launch angles are best. But I'd love to learn why that is, and what are the real upper and lower thresholds based on my swing.

Low spin and mid launch for me. I'd like to see how all the pieces go together, how different pieces in different spots would have different reactions so the same swing. A lot of, "What would happen if we put this here, or this here, or used one of these..." Its a lot of curiosity as I don't know if I'm really nuanced enough to say I want a certain feeling at a certain point in the swing, but I know what I like or don't like when I feel it. I know what I want to see the ball do when I hit it half way decent.

Design wise, I think light and bright. I still dig all the shaft specs on the butt and tip of the LZ shafts with flex, weight, torque and such. The tour HZRDUS yellow, maybe the bright blue from the Graffalloy BiMatrix

I would make mine low/mid spin, mid launch and around 65g. Colors would be Navy Blue and Gold and I would decide on some personal touches during the process! My main goal would be to learn as much as possible about shafts including debunking any common shaft myths. Oh and of course I would be enjoying the hell out of San Diego!!!

Last edited:

design? id like to incorporate the way I sign my initials. I'd like to find a way to mix my family's favorite colors, purple for my wife, light blue for my oldest, orange for my youngest, maybe in bands or something. i would consider adding something wine related, maybe the good news bible translation of hosea 4:11 but written in hebrew. I love the dancing thp exclamations points in either the butt or the tip section. for color i like the idea of going bold, but I don't know for sure. paralysis by analysis.

for profile, mid spin, mid high launch. something that feels like I can get after, but that I don't have to aggressively load. I really like the profile of my current shaft. I need help with launch and help with spin.

I would ask a lot of questions about design decisions and how clubhead designs factor in. the economics of decisions from inception to market. what they wish they could do with zero cost restrictions. what they are doing to better educate consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This event is so intriguing to me, but I really feel like I would struggle with getting thoughts down on a preliminary shaft going into the event.

What do I look for in a shaft? A swing that is easy to swing, and that allows for my worst days to still end up with decent results. Really without knowing anything about shafts, how certain attributes would affect flight/results, I feel like this could be an awesome opportunity to gain huge amounts of knowledge!

I'd go for a shaft in the 70g range, softer tip section. Torque higher than 3.3. Definitely not low spin but preferably something mid spin with higher launch. Firm butt section. And I'm definitely thinking green/white/blue for paint

So, just hypothetically, but if someone were to get into the event and wanted to use the THP exclamation point/ball in the hole logo as half the X in Project X, would that be an issue?

Man the way I'm getting along with the hzrdus yellow I'd be very curious to see what tweaks could bring better performance! Needless to say I'm interested!

The craziest thing about the event was telling Don what we liked/disliked about the tester shaft and he'd make adjustments to the formula and if I recall about a quarter of a million calculations took place for each alteration to move the shaft to where we wanted it. The info and Don's insight will make you a believer in finding the right shaft and Project X is making what I consider to be the best shafts available right now. Thanks to last year's event I learned I like a low spin, high launch shaft with about 3.7-4.0 degrees of torque.

And one thing to add.
I strongly recommend the people here and interested in this listen to the THP Radio Show with Don from Project X.

The test shafts will be a perfect baseline for you. Play it as much as you can and then go see Don with your feedback. For me I needed something that launched higher than the baseline and something easier for me to load. Don did his calcs and added in a LZ.

As far as design goes, anything you can think of! Truly the sky is the limit.

20150925_181925_zpsa7fka3xq.jpg

The 2016 Project X HandCrafted Experience - The Greatest Shaft Event Ever Cre...

The 2016 Project X HandCrafted Experience - The Greatest Shaft Event Ever Cre...

I'd be foolish to start speaking shaft characteristics, so I'll leave that to the experts. Ok, that was a lie, I really liked the profile of the shaft I recently broke, which was low launch/low spin, around 70g, and had a torque of 3.4--I know really nothing about any of those numbers and learning more about them would fascinate me.

From a design aspect, I'd love some combination of white and green with some sort of alternating THP "!" and shamrocks/4 leaf clovers. And my Hail Mary thought would be to incorporate my Irish family crest in as well.

Last edited:
I'd be foolish to start speaking shaft characteristics, so I'll leave that to the experts. Ok, that was a lie, I really liked the profile of the shaft I recently broke, which was low launch/low spin, around 70g, and had a torque of 3.4--I know really nothing about any of those numbers and learning more about them would fascinate me.

From a design aspect, I'd love some combination of white and green with some sort of alternating THP "!" and shamrocks/4 lead clovers. And my Hail Mary thought would be to incorporate my Irish family crest in as well.

Not a bad idea...

You have no idea how good Don is at taking your feedback w the test shaft, your desire for ball flight and your feel preferences and turning out a perfect shaft.
No idea.
And custom paint & design?
Really, no idea at all.

Not a bad idea...

I've been jealous of your shaft since the day you designed it--with the exception of your team choices of course………

It would involve some combination of my family, my school and THP.

I've been jealous of your shaft since the day you designed it--with the exception of your team choices of course………

I thought you were a Yankees fan, so I got half of them right :D...

The shamrocks do look awesome though. O'Neil is so good with graphics that if you can imagine it, he can create it. Add that to Don's incredible ability to create the specs exactly to your swing and you have the perfect golf shaft!

The test shafts will be a perfect baseline for you. Play it as much as you can and then go see Don with your feedback. For me I needed something that launched higher than the baseline and something easier for me to load. Don did his calcs and added in a LZ.

As far as design goes, anything you can think of! Truly the sky is the limit.

20150925_181925_zpsa7fka3xq.jpg
That thing looks truly spectacular in person, such amazing details!

I was here today for a spring training game
63070a8ac2bb1b2278ed055c8af1db22.jpg

I kept texting don so we could meet up and I could win some brownie points by buying him some beers. 555-I-LUV-JTR. I guess he was just really focused on the game because he never responded. maybe next time

Back