Lie Angle or Swing Issue?

jeege

Average Lefty
Reaction score
Handicap
I went through a fitting a little over a month ago and was able to swing my new irons for the first time a couple of times this weekend. I hit them great during the fitting, but was having troubles this weekend. My swing does not feel any different but I was hitting everything consistently toward the heel of the club and occasionally hitting off the hosel. Trying to get some confidence back, I started hitting my wedges at the range as I kept my old gamers after the fitting. Even with the wedges, everything was being hit toward the heel and hosel.

Like I said, during the fitting I was hitting the irons and my gamer wedges really well (slight draw going toward target line) and have always made good contact with my wedges in the past. After being fit for the iron head and shaft, my fitter had me swing off of a lie board without hitting a ball and decided to bend the clubs 1.5° flat based off the tape results. He did the same thing for my wedges, bending them 1.5° flat but I didn't hit a ball with them and hadn't hit a ball with them until this weekend. We used a Trackman so dynamic lie angle was not taken into consideration.

So my question is, do I need to just keep hitting the clubs to get used to the new lie angle or should I have them bent back to standard as the standard was giving me good results during the fitting? Or does a flat lie angle not even cause hitting towards the heel of the club and I have a swing issue going on that I could possibly being unaware of?

I have a pretty steep attack angle if that changes anything. Now, I'm not the most consistent ball striker but was shooting between 87-93 when I was using my old clubs at standard lie angle and made good contact in the center more often than not.

Any help or information is appreciated!

Last edited:
I have no fitting knowledge but an interesting situation. Of interest, did the fitter bend them 1.5 flat as your old clubs were. Seems from a physical perspective, if the new clubs are truly 1.5 flatter than the old clubs, and you change nothing in the swing, you are going to hit toe first or the hand/eye thing ama bob is going to try and force you to do something to end up with the head more parallel to the ground. Are the shafts the same length?

I have no fitting knowledge but an interesting situation. Of interest, did the fitter bend them 1.5 flat as your old clubs were. Seems from a physical perspective, if the new clubs are truly 1.5 flatter than the old clubs, and you change nothing in the swing, you are going to hit toe first or the hand/eye thing ama bob is going to try and force you to do something to end up with the head more parallel to the ground. Are the shafts the same length?

My old clubs were standard length and lie as I bought them off the rack, so the new ones are flatter than the old clubs but both sets have the same shaft length. The new shafts are heavier/stiffer, so a big part of me is hoping I just need to get used to them and it'll work itself out lol

And like I said, I don't have the most consistent swing so I could be doing something different with my swing and not realizing it. But my setup and swing don't feel any different.

You might not notice that you are still standing the same distance away as your old clubs instead of a little further back since your Irons are now a little flatter. kinda like what you subconsciously already do when going up a club you stand a little further away from the ball.

You might not notice that you are still standing the same distance away as your old clubs instead of a little further back since your Irons are now a little flatter. kinda like what you subconsciously already do when going up a club you stand a little further away from the ball.

I had never even thought about that :banghead:

I just want to clarify, only because it was my first fitting and I don't know much about club building. So because the lie angle is flatter, it makes the length feel a little longer? So I just need to stand slightly farther away at address?

Thanks so much for that input M2!

Yeah just try standing a bit farther away and addressing the ball a little more towards the toe. We are trying to strike a fairly small object using another object without that big of room for error. By flattening your clubs you are moving strike more towards the heel.

It may sound simple, but it helps alot.

Yeah just try standing a bit farther away and addressing the ball a little more towards the toe. We are trying to strike a fairly small object using another object without that big of room for error. By flattening your clubs you are moving strike more towards the heel.

It may sound simple, but it helps alot.

Thanks a lot, my man! I really appreciate it!

And great job at the MC! It was a lot of fun following you and all the other guys out there.

Back