2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Gimme all the avocados and almonds please

Oh I do love avocados. At just the right consistency I eat them just by themselves. Plenty days I just sit an eat a whole avocado. A regular part of my diet especially since getting rid of most junk. Again, here is just another example of a goof food choice for a snack vs eating potato chips or some other garbage. Alot of times its simple and just about choices. Kind of like golf in a way. lol

Fats don't make you fat. Too many calories make you fat

This is something that I find so interesting. More specifically the hierarchy of energy sources and how the body processes them.

For example, when you drink alcohol you are giving your body essentially jet fuel to burn for energy. While it's using that you are storing that triple meat, triple cheese Whataburger and fries as fat (that was my staple after bar meal years ago).

Too many refined carbs and your body is processing them and storing what fat you consume.

Limit refined/net carbs to an extent and your body is forced to take stored body fat to use for energy to make ketones as a readily available energy source.

Sounds interesting. Don't believe I've ever had Quinoa nor sore what exactly it is. At first thought I was thinking like an oatmeal but perhaps more like a rice?

As for bananas which I always like.
Since my health conscious efforts as of late I have often for breakfast been eating plain(not the prepared flavored varieties) but plain old fashion oatmeal and I cant believe how sweat a banana can taste when in a bowl of plain oatmeal. Not that this is any new news at all (people been putting bananas in breakfasts for ever lol) but fwiw they are just that much sweater tasting and really sweetens the breakfast. Its quite yummy. Add some cinnamon and sometimes also blueberries and strawberries and its a nice breakfast. Not really any protein there but I'll get that in other breakfast days and of course via lunch or dinner. Plus I like to snack on nuts :)

Quinoa is a grain, I would equate it more to a rice or cous cous if you have ever had that. I love it, and it takes on whatever flavor you impart on it so it's great savory or sweet. Just make sure you rinse it WELL, I rinse it at least 3 times before cooking it.

We eat a lot of quinoa with various recipes since we started eating better. Usually makes a ton so we have lots of leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always make a huge batch and eat it throughout the week. It keeps well and can seriously go with anything.

Quinoa is a grain, I would equate it more to a rice or cous cous if you have ever had that. I love it, and it takes on whatever flavor you impart on it so it's great savory or sweet. Just make sure you rinse it WELL, I rinse it at least 3 times before cooking it.

I always make a huge batch and eat it throughout the week. It keeps well and can seriously go with anything.

Ok thanks, , that makes better sense now. I'd have to ask my wife if we actually have had it...lol
Its quite possible I just never knew.

Sounds interesting. Don't believe I've ever had Quinoa nor sore what exactly it is. At first thought I was thinking like an oatmeal but perhaps more like a rice?

As for bananas which I always like.
Since my health conscious efforts as of late I have often for breakfast been eating plain(not the prepared flavored varieties) but plain old fashion oatmeal and I cant believe how sweat a banana can taste when in a bowl of plain oatmeal. Not that this is any new news at all (people been putting bananas in breakfasts for ever lol) but fwiw they are just that much sweater tasting and really sweetens the breakfast. Its quite yummy. Add some cinnamon and sometimes also blueberries and strawberries and its a nice breakfast. Not really any protein there but I'll get that in other breakfast days and of course via lunch or dinner. Plus I like to snack on nuts :)

We eat a lot of quinoa with various recipes since we started eating better. Usually makes a ton so we have lots of leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, , that makes better sense now. I'd have to ask my wife if we actually have had it...lol
Its quite possible I just never knew.

It is most similar to cous cous, to me it's like tiny bubbles in my mouth. I really enjoy it and I like that you can pretty much morph it into anything you want. I made a fennel, sage and mushroom quinoa stuffing once that was truly fantastic. It's what got me hooked on quinoa in the first place. I need to make that again.

It is most similar to cous cous, to me it's like tiny bubbles in my mouth. I really enjoy it and I like that you can pretty much morph it into anything you want. I made a fennel, sage and mushroom quinoa stuffing once that was truly fantastic. It's what got me hooked on quinoa in the first place. I need to make that again.

I need that recipe. The Doc and I have been talking about trying Quinoa.

I need that recipe. The Doc and I have been talking about trying Quinoa.

Below is the recipe and the link. Just remember to WASH YOUR QUINOA, I say at least 3 times. I added some sage to this because I believe all stuffing needs sage.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/11/this-savory-quinoa-stuffing-is.html

Mushroom Fennel Quinoa Stuffing
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 7 • Size: 3/4 cup Points +: 3 pts • Smart Points: 3
Calories: 136 • Fat: 4 g • Carb: 21 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 5 g • Sugar: 1.5 g
Sodium: 113 mg

Ingredients:

• 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (vegetarians use veggie broth)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3/4 cup fennel, diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 1/2 cup carrots, diced
  • 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
  • salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Directions:

Cook rinsed quinoa in broth according to package directions.

While the quinoa is cooking, in a large heavy sauté pan add olive oil to the pan, then the onion, sauté one minute. Add the fennel, celery, and carrots, salt and pepper to taste; cook about 12-15 minutes over medium heat, until vegetables are soft.

Add the mushrooms to the pan, more salt and pepper if needed and cook, stirring 5 minutes, then cook covered for 2 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their juice and are cooked through. Add the cooked quinoa to the pan and mix well.

Makes 5 1/4 cups.

Should have known it would be on SkinnyTaste, that site is freaking FANTASTIC!

Thanks for quinoa info ... I have learned so much from this thread ... first it was Chia (which I use a lot,) and now quinoa ... I can't wait to try it. The first things I thought was, a replacement for rice, in my beloved rice and beans ...

Limit refined/net carbs to an extent and your body is forced to take stored body fat to use for energy to make ketones as a readily available energy source.

Ketones don't work that way, unfortunately. Only your brain, heart, and a few other disparate organs can burn ketones directly, but they don't (other than the brain).
There's more, but in 99% of people the brain is the only organ burning ketones. The other organs run on glucose or fatty acids.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ketones don't work that way, unfortunately. Only your brain, heart, and a few other disparate organs can burn ketones directly, but they don't (other than the brain).
There's more, but in 99% of people the brain is the only organ burning ketones. The other organs run on glucose or fatty acids.

Most cells in the body can use both glucose and ketone bodies for fuel, and during ketosis, free fatty acids and glucose synthesis (gluconeogenesis) fuel the remainder.

Most cells in the body can use both glucose and ketone bodies for fuel, and during ketosis, free fatty acids and glucose synthesis (gluconeogenesis) fuel the remainder.
Right, but they never do. The body only makes enough ketones for the brain. The rest of the body uses glucose and fatty acids for fuel.

I have added to my workout routine a super long walk with Arrow after I get home from the gym. He needs to get his puppy energy out and it's more cardio for me. According to my watch it's about an extra 2000 steps. It's a win-win for everyone.

Got my new fitbit scale ... could not set it up via my mac ... had to use my phone to set it up ... but excited to get my weight track via wi-fi. Can't figure out how to get a "guest" to weigh in for my wife (she does not have a fitbit)

The fitbit surge is next ... hopefully within 2 weeks.

Got my new fitbit scale ... could not set it up via my mac ... had to use my phone to set it up ... but excited to get my weight track via wi-fi. Can't figure out how to get a "guest" to weigh in for my wife (she does not have a fitbit)

The fitbit surge is next ... hopefully within 2 weeks.
Does it show your name instead? If yes, try assigning all the weight measurements that aren't you to guest in your phone and see if that works.

Wonderful breakfast. Diet cream soda, 40 grams of unflavored whey protein, 1 cup of half and half. Lots of protein. Not a lot of carbs or calories.

Wonderful breakfast. Diet cream soda, 40 grams of unflavored whey protein, 1 cup of half and half. Lots of protein. Not a lot of carbs or calories.
315 calories in 1 cup of half and half...

Weighed in this morning and like what I'm seeing. Have two more runs schedule tomorrow and Monday morning. Going to be my lowest in 10 years.

315 calories in 1 cup of half and half...
As you say that. I may have been putting too much half and half in. 2 tbsp is all that is necessary. I was only eye balling my pour it may have very well have been more or less than a cup, but my shake was delicious. Good thing I can tell myself that I'm not afraid of calories.

Does it show your name instead? If yes, try assigning all the weight measurements that aren't you to guest in your phone and see if that works.

Thanks for the reply ... after a bit of RTFM, I discovered the scale figures it out because of our different weights. ( think it says 8 pound difference)

Good news is, she now wants her own fitbit! Glad to see her interested.

Just a quick update it's been almost 3 weeks now and the scale says 15 lbs is gone so far so happy but got to keep going

Thanks for the reply ... after a bit of RTFM, I discovered the scale figures it out because of our different weights. ( think it says 8 pound difference)

Good news is, she now wants her own fitbit! Glad to see her interested.
Good to hear! If the extra numbers make her happy! :act-up:

97d05a704352665b5dc86052b24fc1a9.jpg

Making this tonight for Lee and I

Grilled Mediterranean Chicken with Quinoa salad thanks to skinny taste website.

Just a quick update it's been almost 3 weeks now and the scale says 15 lbs is gone so far so happy but got to keep going
Nice job, keep it going

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back