150 Yards....How Close To the Pin?

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
I was reading another site & found some interesting stats based upon handicap. Below is the avg distance to the pin from 150 yards & % of 3-putting.

The article then notes that to improve scoring a golfer needs to:

1) Know what your true carry distances are. The article that 99% of golfers overestimate there carry distance. I think it is easy to base your carry distance off optimal shot vs avg shot.
2) Understand conditions like how (1) wind, (2) elevation, (3) temperature, etc affect distance
3) Work/practice to hit the center of the club face
4) Understand face to path relationship

I think I am getting better at #s 1 & 2.....#3 & 4 are still a work in progress.

Any thoughts?

TomStickneyAverageDistanceChart1.png

Let’s examine three-putting trends for 80, 90, and 100 shooters based on findings:

• 80 Shooters have about a 25 percent chance of three-putting when the ball is 43 feet from the hole.
  • 90 Shooters have about a 25 percent chance of three-putting when the ball is 32 feet from the hole.
  • 100 Shooters have about a 25 percent chance of three-putting when the ball is 26 feet from the hole.

I was complaining to my instructor last year that I was always too far from the pin inside 150 yards - averaged 26 feet according to Arccos. He then pulled up similar statistics and I felt much better about my approach shots. He once again reminded me that the TV broadcasts always show the close shots the pros make and hardly ever show the boring middle of the green shots that leaves them 30 feet for birdie.

I need to get an Arccos to start tracking this kind of stuff. My miss from 150 is going long. Thinking I need to club up to reach, then fly the green...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always find these stats interesting and helpful. As my game has improved and I hit more GIR, I have a lot of long, sometimes crazy putts. What I want to do next is think more about where I want to be on the green and where the best places are to be if I miss. I have not translated this from range to play yet, but I am working on distances in a little different way. I want to change my thinking to how far do I want to hit a club versus how far do I hit a club. I realize these are closely related. As an example, I work on a 150 marker on the range. 9i full strike (I also try to work this one with draw and fade with so-so success). Choked easy 8i. Choked, knock-down 7i. Sometimes I even swing for the home run with the PW. With more options I think I will progressively get the ball closer to pin (or better position to get up and down) and give my putting some needed help. Whether I can consistently pull it off is to be seen.

BTW, most interesting stat there is handicap-categorized chance of three putting from a specific distance.

I always play my clubs based on carry rather than distance. Still need help on hitting center of the club face. I'm getting better with my 150 shots but don't have Arccos to help me with the stats on what my avg distance is on the green to the cup. My Cure putter helped cut down those 3 putts. Good info.

From 150 - I'm happy to hit the green - which would kind of fit for the stats.

I started measuring the distances of my putts this season. It was eye opening because of this very thing. My first putts were definitely longer than I thought...stuff like thinking I got it close would end up being like 15-20 feet (odds of making putts from that distance is low)

[*]100 Shooters have about a 25 percent chance of three-putting when the ball is 26 feet from the hole.
[/LIST]

Ha! I'd love to only 3 putt 25% of the time from that distance. I'd estimate it's more like 75% of the time for me.

Id say Im normally in the 30-40 ft range and Im a 90s shooter. Today was more like 75+ though ha ha. No idea what I was doing wrong but my irons were not pure at all.

Pin? I can barely hit the green anymore from over 75 yards. LOL 125 owns me.

That's some info to see. I was going to guess myself to be around 35 to 45 feet, plus or minus 5 feet or so on average...and based on these stats, that's probably about right.

Seems like these stats are always skewed (the amateur ones, not the pros) Not saying they aren't real for the sample size they did but that's just not enough in my opinion. Their are so many different types of scorers that stats like these just don't mean much to me. That being said, I'd say I am around 30 feet on avg from pin (when I hit the green)

I disagree w the putting numbers from that article.

I read somewhere else some stats about PGA pro putting distances. At 8 feet, a pro make rate is 50% (one putt). At 33 feet, a pro will 2 putt 50% of the time.

So saying that a 90's (amateur) golfer will three putt 25% of the time from 32 feet is contradicting the PGA info, and one of the two statements is likely incorrect.

Keep stats for yourself - if you can 3 putt 25% of the time from 32 feet, I will be surprised. I know that I can't.

I don't have it broken down by distance but I 3 putt about 3-3.5% of the time, used to be lower but I suck lately.

Don't have proximity but game golf has me at 60% of the time within 45 feet from 125-150 and 48% of the time within 45 feet from 150-175. I found some of my putting data from last year before game golf. I have 55 rounds. 32 feet is too exact for a good sample size but will count up 3 putts from 30-40 feet. I was playing way more then so it should be decent.

Last edited:
If I hit the green from 150 I'm happy. I usually get a nGIR.

I read somewhere else some stats about PGA pro putting distances. At 8 feet, a pro make rate is 50% (one putt). At 33 feet, a pro will 2 putt 50% of the time.

I think the stat is at 33 feet a pros average is 2 putts.. So they are just as likely to 1 putt it as 3 putt it..that is the way I understood it.. At 8' the pro average is 1.5 strokes.. Ernie Els is excluded from these stats.. Pros 2 putt from 33' way more than 50% of the time..

So saying that a 90's (amateur) golfer will three putt 25% of the time from 32 feet is contradicting the PGA info, and one of the two statements is likely incorrect.

Keep stats for yourself - if you can 3 putt 25% of the time from 32 feet, I will be surprised. I know that I can't.

Pros putt on very different greens with considerably more pressure than the typical amateur. They also 1 putt more often from longer range than amateurs too. Also, those numbers themselves are based on the average player for the handicap range, but not all are "average" in every aspect of the game. Some work harder on putting than on irons, and as such are likely to show better putting stats for a given distance than the next player in the same handicap bucket.

The problem with statistics is that they can mislead as quickly as they can lead. A lot depends on how the data is organized. Very few players will actually fall into the middle of any statistical bucket. I know, because I've most always been a statistical freak.

I spent more than 20 years shooting 10%-15% of my rounds in the 70's, but never had a course handicap lower than 11 on my home course, and never had a very good iron game. My short game and putting kept me in the low to mid 80's, and on any given day I could pull out a 74 or 75. I 3-putted maybe once or twice in every 3 or 4 rounds. Statistics just don't tell the whole story.

If I can get it to within 30 feet I am more than happy

There are days and then there are other days! Which one to describe... doesn't really matter! First goal be on the green as close to the hole as possible that day! Second goal... don't three putt!

There are days and then there are other days! Which one to describe... doesn't really matter! First goal be on the green as close to the hole as possible that day! Second goal... don't three putt!

Nailed it..

I'm right there with you. Hit something towards the green and hope for the best.

I'm right there with you. Hit something towards the green and hope for the best.
I'm with you guys. According to my stats I'm only getting a GIR 25% of the time anyways.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I am happy when I'm on the green from 150.

150 Yards....How Close To the Pin?

I am happy when I'm on the green from 150.

Right there with you. Even when I am it always seems to be at the furthest point from the hole. You'd think I'd end up close every now and then just out of dumb luck, but it never seems to happen.

Back