Changing course conditions - Tips on adapting

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
I like playing in the early am, especially when it comes to putting as the greens tend to run a bit slower (and hence a bit more forgiving). It's easier to play a course when you know its going to play consistently. So if you find yourself in an all day, multiple round event (say Regional Rivalry, or the Granddaddy) how do it prep for the course conditions changing from the morning conditions to the afternoon and mid-day conditions?

Or does it just not matter?

I think if you're playing that much in one day you just adapt normally with the changing conditions, I think we naturally adapt.

Doesn't matter much to me. Just go out and play.

The thing about changing conditions is that it's not like someone flipped a switch. The changes are gradual and if you are paying attention you should be able to adjust as necessary.

Well with the Grandaddy...it was pretty much the same from start to finish as the course is The Hideaway and 99.9% perfection.

With that said, I've played plenty of courses where that's not the case and they change from a morning round to afternoon round. You just have to understand it's going to happen and if you're paying attention, you'll notice as you go along. Greens will firm up, ball starts rolling more/faster.

Doesn't really matter. Just adjust as I go along.

Adjust as I go. This morning the first green we played was soaked, and had melting ice on it. Last green was dry and much faster. Changing conditions don't bother me too much. Granted, it's never fun to putt through water and ice.

If there is dew on the grass I visualize everything one foot farther. Severely up hill, two feet.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I just learn to adapt - the drier the green gets, the wind picking up, my starting to feel fatigue, it's part of the game. That's why I prefer playing in the afternoon - the more tired I get, the cooler it gets.

But since sometimes I can't choose when I play, I just try to be observant.

If I'm playing in a foursome I pay attention when I'm on the green. How other players' shots behave in or around the green give me hints to my own shots.

I try to pay attention to the temp, as it rises the greens should get faster.

Back