here's what the brillant minds in my county did to single walk-ups

Gonna have to fall on the courses side of this one. It makes sense for the course to fill every possible slot. They had a very odd policy that stopped them from doing that. That policy seemed to benefit you and some others, but also hurt others who were unable to book tee times that were not already taken. Now you feel entitled to that old policy, even though the new one is much more common across clubs around the country.

Seems like making a tee time could solve this issue.

Seems like making a tee time could solve this issue.

Been discussed in the thread. The OP said that is not an option because he does not usually know until spur of the moment that he can play.

He can't call in when he finds out or go on golf now and grab one, I rarely make a tee time more than 5 hours ahead of time. Guess it depends on the course but our local muni run courses are on golf now and I can can make a tee time in the middle of the night with out a problem for the next morning.

I hear what you guys are saying and sure I am probably a bit bias because I am one of whom it affects negatively. One of my problems with this is that its not like there is anywhere near a significant amount of empty spots within those open tee times. There would never be an entire empty 4some and at worse we are talking about the rare occasions there may be 3 instead of 4 players and even rarer still 2. Its just not something that happens often enough and certainly when we talk of an entire unused time its even far less still. It has never been an real inefficient system during prime times and that's even according to those working the pro shop checkins. . The experienced long tenured workers at the course are not in agreement with this new decision because they know to well how many singles come out on a constant basis and don't feel there is any "real" problem with unused tee slots remaining empty.

And as for the quality of life issues "hacker" mentions as well as I have. The income from golf does support other avenues of the municipality as mentioned. Its already been helping the non golfing populations and these things are also for my own good raising a family here. That's all very understandable and perfectly fine and dandy. But it also has to offer that quality to the golfer as well. And allowing a system to function in such a way that has better accommodated the needs of walk-ons is a way of extending some life quality to the golfer as well. He's entitled to some too. And in this case it comes at the very tiniest expense. It basically comes only at the expense that "maybe" there might occasionally be an unused tee slot here and there where as a 2 or 3some might play instead of a 4some. Its petty when ya think of it imo.

I could understand if the problem were much larger and very many tee slots were not filled and if the golf was not brining in the money to support other municipal parks system avenues. But its just not the case. Again, it imo is just an over zealous power thing where someone is trying to be more important than they need to be. The one thing its not is a practical decision when you know the past was working very well and efficiently for many different reasons. It didn't need to be fixed and not in this way imo.

Last edited:
Back