Build a High Handicap Set Under $600

formula8

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is a real scenario and I'm looking for suggestions so I don't overlook anything. One of my best friends is looking to replace as much of his bag as possible for $600. He is currently playing some no name box set and typically shoots around 110 and maybe plays 10 rounds per year. I'm going to take him to PGATSS tomorrow and show him a bunch of options to get a feel for what he likes and then try to piece together something from the used market.

I'm guessing he swings about 90 mph and gets off the tee alright. Rest of the game is about what you would expect for his handicap. I honestly don't even think he needs 14 clubs in the bag. Just looking at bang for the buck here.

Off the top of my head I was thinking something along these lines:

Driver- XR16 / Fusion / Fly-Z / Wilson D300
5W - Similar to driver and cheap, probably lowest priority
4hy - Adams or match FW wood
5i - GW - Cobra F7 / Wilson C200
SW - set wedge or used ping glide

Cobra Bio Cell woods can be had cheap. Driver/3w/5w

Irons - I’d look at Srixon Z545’s
Wedges - Callaway MD3’s

Sounds like a pretty good start. Callaway Pre-owned would be a very good place to shop. Maybe you could find some old TM Speedblades for irons as those would be very forgiving.

F7 OL can be had pretty cheap I’d think, otherwise I’d think you’re on the right track, any of the D series W/S irons would be pretty good too.

F7 irons are great and I can’t recommend enough. It’s a set he can grow into as well. Provides more forgiveness with the hollow long irons and goes all the way down to a muscle back GW. Big thing is getting the right shaft for him. I was fitted for my ctaper lites and it made all the difference

Epic Driver
A used 5 wood he really likes
A 3 year old or older set of forgiving irons
A 54-56* wedge he feels comfortable with

Mizuno MX100 irons are a great low money high handicap set. They are older, but can be had really cheap.

Driver: Cobra Fly-Z. The thing is a ballspeed champ with a crazy amount of forgiveness. ($80-$100)
FW: Cobra F6 baffler. Ton of adjustability and has rails. ($100)
Irons: Any set of GI or SGI irons from 2017 or earlier. F7 irons I see for around $300-$350
Wedge: 1 Sandwedge. Find a good condition wedge from a prior generation or two. T7's can be had new for $70
Putter: Whatever he likes on the used rack that fits his budget. Likely and Odyssey with an insert.

F7 irons are great and I can’t recommend enough. It’s a set he can grow into as well. Provides more forgiveness with the hollow long irons and goes all the way down to a muscle back GW. Big thing is getting the right shaft for him. I was fitted for my ctaper lites and it made all the difference

I've hit them before and did enjoy them for a GI type set. I actually had a different friend buy the F7 OL last year based on my recommendation. Wasn't even on his radar before that.

I would look at the next deals at Callaway pre owned. Epic driver and fairway woods and big Bertha irons. These are up to 40% off during certain periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway XR Driver.
TaylorMade M2 fairway wood.
Cleveland Altitude Irons all the way down.
Cleveland ti2135 cero putter.

Thats a good bag

I gamed the C200 irons for a few years. Great clubs. Long and forgiving. I’ve tried the F7 irons briefly and really liked them. Probably a touch longer than the C200’s and just as forgiving. Both sets are really good.

AND change!

LEyg96f.png

xaMQ8KA.png

Well it is $700 but it’s all new decent clubs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Cobra-...NWDjAg&_pmc=true&_productid=18029118504&rt=nc

I’m pretty sure these are just rebranded previous years model from cobra. But you get everything you need with a nice bag and they are new. Just my preference I personally wouldn’t want some beat up value clubs. They probably work just fine but it will be in my head that they are old and used.
I got my dad the Fly-Z 13 piece set to get him some updated clubs with out having to drop a lot of money on clubs. He played quite a bit last year and is now looking at putting new shafts in the irons that fit him better this season.

Some pretty good suggestions so far. Keep them coming! I'm probably way more excited to help pick out clubs than my friend realizes. Nothing like club ho'ing vicariously through someone else.

Don’t sleep on the TEE fairways, but any of the Callaway XR line from driver to irons is good. Lots of good Cobra stuff out there also too, but if you can find some Srixon 545/565 irons for a song that would be my recommendation. That’s a set he would be happy with for a LONG time’

Don’t sleep on the TEE fairways, but any of the Callaway XR line from driver to irons is good. Lots of good Cobra stuff out there also too, but if you can find some Srixon 545/565 irons for a song that would be my recommendation. That’s a set he would be happy with for a LONG time’
This is pretty much my recommendation exactly. You can find some wedges and Odyssey putters for pretty cheap on CPO too. I bought a second set of MD4s (current line) for $75 a piece, so there has to be some other good finds there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

XR16 Driver

Nike Dymo2 4w

TM Speedblade Irons

CG15 wedges

Cleveland 2135 Elevado

Ping drivers G15 or newer
Tour Edge XCG-3 fw’s
Any Ping G series irons

Wedges and putters are pretty much a personal choice so I won’t recommend any.

X2 Hot driver, woods and hybrids
x2hot 5-pw
Cleveland 50,56,60
TM white smoke putter

Second choice substitute driver/woods with RBZ stage II
Irons with Burner 2.0
wedges and putter same

I see a few mentions of the Cobra F7's, how about the F6's??

XR16 Driver

Nike Dymo2 4w

TM Speedblade Irons

CG15 wedges

Cleveland 2135 Elevado

I'm still playing that driver so I was leaning that way and can let him try it. You also read my mind with the 2135 putters. That's a real sleeper pick with the 4W though, wouldn't have thought of that one.

Look at my sig, the whole set cost less than $400, I bought the irons and driver from the classifieds here. The Vsteel(amazing club) was 20 bucks at play it again.

Check Callaway Preowned they are having a huge sale on clearance items...they have a set of Apex 6-pw irons for less than $150.

Back