Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Nice Fitz! Be sure to update us!

I'll be honest, these are the most complete irons I have ever played/tested/reviewed.

I agree. I think my favorite set of clubs ever up until December 2015 were the SpeedBlades. And after spending as much time with the CF16 as I have, there's absolutely no way I would ever go away from this set. Long irons are not only forgiving, but the feel and ball flight is just addicting

I agree. I think my favorite set of clubs ever up until December 2015 were the SpeedBlades. And after spending as much time with the CF16 as I have, there's absolutely no way I would ever go away from this set. Long irons are not only forgiving, but the feel and ball flight is just addicting
I still look back and chuckle because we both tried pretty hard to make the pros work, but these are just something else and leave you wanting literally nothing. Love it.

They long and mid irons are so solid. Love having them in the bag. Only wish the short irons performed the same way.

They long and mid irons are so solid. Love having them in the bag. Only wish the short irons performed the same way.
I know I've read it earlier, but admittedly I'm lazy and don't want to go back and reread. What was your gripe with the short irons.

Its definitely still an interesting conversation to me, mainly though because the 9, PW, AW are my favorites in the set.

I just added the AW to my set. I cannot wait to get it.

For those who have had both, how did you find the CF16s compared to the Srixon Z545?

I know I've read it earlier, but admittedly I'm lazy and don't want to go back and reread. What was your gripe with the short irons.

The distances don't match the mid and long irons. It almost feels like I get floaters with the short irons.

For those who have had both, how did you find the CF16s compared to the Srixon Z545?

These are going to look longer heel to toe at address, but both sets hide their size well.

Performance wise, IMO, these outlcass the 545's. They're better off the toe believe it or not (the 545 are damn good on that miss) and on misses low there might only be one or two sets out there that can even sniff these.

Both are excellent sets, but these are just something else.

Thanks Jman. Do you mean the CF16s are longer heel to toe?

These irons just keep on performing. When hit on the screws I know I can get 180 out of my 6i and that's massive for me.

Where these shine are on mishits and forgiveness. I've gotten away with more mishits and don't see my yardage suffering like you would think.

I know it's subjective, but the sound when you hit one well with these are addicting.

I just want to say that Callaway Customer Service is top notch. I bubbled up my concerns with quality control on custom orders, in my case it involved me having my set re bent to spec, (causing this small blemish on a 3 of my irons)

4465267e6e7a01f53777e5789ebd0096.jpg

46d53346a04cde2a22229db91ada69c8.jpg

0bcdf6c87d747402401fad97ac281e40.jpg

They offered to send me a brand new set, (I declined because it's small and doesn't affect performance), my intent was to bring this to their attention because in today's culture fittings and custom orders are becoming common place even for the weekend hackers. If you are going to offer (as an example) 28 shafts upgrades at no charge on your drivers, you need to get good at QC and custom orders.

They are sending me a couple dozen CS balls for my troubles, and promised to make these QC concerns visible.

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out to play 9 holes after work (the first time out this year, and 2nd time out post grandaddy) and these clubs were effing rock stars for my rusty swing. There is something special about having complete confidence in your clubs, and these clubs give that in spades. My tee game wasn't exactly on point, but these things bailed me out plenty. I am finding that they are about a club longer than I was seeing from my old set, and was hitting the back of several greens, which is something I'll gladly take. When I would be offline, it wouldn't be by much, and even shots out toward the toe and high on the face felt and looked like solid shots with minimal distance lost. All this performance in such a sweet little package, and I don't see these clubs leaving the bag any time soon; I truly don't know how you could improve on them.

I was one of the guys who got the set A wedge (and I also got a set sand wedge), and I'm glad I did. They bled very well into the scoring irons, and I love them for full swings, but they're versatile enough to use for touch shots around the green.

I can't really talk about spin, as I was playing a pinnacle gold for most of the round (didn't want to lose any CS the first round of the year), but I wasn't having any trouble holding greens, when I'd actually hit them.

Overall, I love these clubs, and I'm so excited to play them this season, and probably many seasons to come.

Got out to play 9 holes after work (the first time out this year, and 2nd time out post grandaddy) and these clubs were effing rock stars for my rusty swing. There is something special about having complete confidence in your clubs, and these clubs give that in spades. My tee game wasn't exactly on point, but these things bailed me out plenty. I am finding that they are about a club longer than I was seeing from my old set, and was hitting the back of several greens, which is something I'll gladly take. When I would be offline, it wouldn't be by much, and even shots out toward the toe and high on the face felt and looked like solid shots with minimal distance lost. All this performance in such a sweet little package, and I don't see these clubs leaving the bag any time soon; I truly don't know how you could improve on them.

I was one of the guys who got the set A wedge (and I also got a set sand wedge), and I'm glad I did. They bled very well into the scoring irons, and I love them for full swings, but they're versatile enough to use for touch shots around the green.

I can't really talk about spin, as I was playing a pinnacle gold for most of the round (didn't want to lose any CS the first round of the year), but I wasn't having any trouble holding greens, when I'd actually hit them.

Overall, I love these clubs, and I'm so excited to play them this season, and probably many seasons to come.

Ahhh so your the one. I thought someone got the set sand wedge. Did you try the MD3 before the set sand wedge? Just curious what led you to your choice

Ahhh so your the one. I thought someone got the set sand wedge. Did you try the MD3 before the set sand wedge? Just curious what led you to your choice
I didn't try the md3, but in talking with the fitter I use my 55* wedge for full swings, so we agreed the set wedge would be a bit more forgiving. It is a little chunkier than most would like for a wedge but I feel like it still works great for bump and run shots around the green and is great on full swings, which is perfect for me.

Can't fight it any longer. About to pull the trigger and order some of these bad boys. The numbers I keep seeing on the sim just make too much sense. Not to mention the feel.

Can't fight it any longer. About to pull the trigger and order some of these bad boys. The numbers I keep seeing on the sim just make too much sense. Not to mention the feel.

Do it and add recoils! :)

I was worried about the transition from 7i to 8i after my first few rounds, but after my last couple rounds, I'm feeling much more confident that gapping is going to be good. I have been playing 7i for 160 or so, and I am finally hitting the 8i 150ish and 9i worked for 140ish in the last round or two for me. I'm not sure yet if I am hitting the PW 130 and the AW 120, but I'll know soon.

I was getting really good weight shift to my left side while hitting my irons during my last round and pretty solid ball striking. These feel so dang good and the ball just flies. I hit a solid 8i to a back pin...wondered if I should hit smooth 7i but was feeling pretty confident that a solid 8i would get there and roll a bit...carried at least 150 and rolled off the back. Big grin on my face.

Finally had the chance to hit a long iron on a par 3. It was another back pin, playing about 190 or so with hurting wind factored in. I pulled 4i and unfortunately took a crappy looking and feeling mess of a swing, topped it and expected it to be about 50 yards short. Somehow, the ball ended up in the rough right in front of the left part of the green! Broken record time: the forgiveness on these is crazy crazy crazy good. I really wanted to hit a good 4i, so I quickly teed up another ball to give this par 3 another try, and this time I hit a great, high, pretty straight shot towards the flag. This second attempt ended up about 15 feet right of the hole. Felt and looked awesome.

I'm really starting to admire these irons and can't wait to play again! :D

JDax - appreciate the info. These awesome Callaway support stories always make me smile that I chose a brand that backs its products so completely. #CustomerServiceDoneRight

Have had these in the bag for 2 rounds, the first round was a bit of a disaster that had nothing to do with the clubs, just the operator. I blanked the memory of that round out. The 2nd round was a much better representation of what I can expect from the clubs. What continually struck we was the explosiveness and ball flight, well struck shots are just a blast to watch in the air. The shots hold their line and when paired with the right ball can cheat the wind effectively. The turf interaction is solid, the club doesn't get hung up though I will admit I'm struggling on full shots with the AW off some still dormant lies. With that club I've resorted to chipping and pitching until the conditions become more favorable. Will get them back out on the course on Thursday and looking forward to getting more comfortable with them.

Thought my bag was set for this year, but this thread has got me considering testing these against my current gamers -- Taylormade PSI irons. Specs are almost exactly the same. Slightly more offset with the Apex, but that short blade and satin finish has me wondering........

The Apex are pretty pricey, any deals I should know about before pulling the trigger?

thx
LB

Last edited:

JDax - appreciate the info. These awesome Callaway support stories always make me smile that I chose a brand that backs its products so completely. #CustomerServiceDoneRight

No problem, just trying to give everyone that made a custom order a heads up to get them checked. I would hate for QC issues, like what happened to me to hurt anyone's enjoyment of these great irons.

I have only played 2 rounds:

Before having them checked, I played horrible and shot a 98 (with 12/14 FIR). Something felt off with the irons, e1iterate was playing with me, and recommended that I have the specs checked. This round was a total comedy of errors, the only holes that I played decent were the ones I had a hybrid in or wedge. I called my teacher in told him to take us to Defcon 1. I was a total head case.

Next round (post fixing them to my fitting spec), shot best round of the year so far (87). Panic subsided.

Some of my friends think I was foolish not to take the fresh set, but I think the small nicks give my set character. Like this is my set of Apex's, there are many like these, but this set is mine...

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thought my bag was set for this year, but this thread has got me considering testing these against my current gamers -- Taylormade PSI irons. Specs are almost exactly the same. Slightly more offset with the Apex, but that short blade and satin finish has me wondering........

The Apex are pretty pricey, any deals I should know about before pulling the trigger?

thx
LB

Well the trade in value on the PSI irons is decent, you could also sell the PSI's. Also, you could wait for some of these bad boys end up on Callaway Pre-Owned.

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back