5 or 4 wood suggestions

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all. Looking for some suggestions in this area. The front runner so far is the ping g or g400. Low profile, low cg, very straight, not too light overall. One other unknown for me is turf interaction when you hit it a little heavy. Overall looking to get though turf and launch the ball high and straight. Any suggestions?

A lot of people like the cobra ranges with the rails. I think the g400 is a great choice though.

I like a deep profile face so I may not be much help here, for a low profile face though I think a lot of folks love Ping.

The criteria you seek are found in the Cobra F9. It is a forgiving head, adjustable as to loft and lie and the rails help a great deal with the turf interaction. It may not be as low profile as the Ping (although I haven’t compared directly, but it is not at all difficult to launch. There should be a lot of feed back coming in from the guys who just finished the Morgan Cup event.

I tried Cobra and for me it was dead on impact. Not great, not bad, just meh. Ping tend to balloon quite a bit for me which I've never really liked that real high ball flight out of my FWs. For me and my swing, the GBB Epic 3w and 5w will continue to have a home in my bag.

Based on what the OP said, sounds like Ping is the way to go for sure. Only way to tell though is to hit them all, don't zero in on one brand.

Karl...check out @LLIB's for sale post for his Srixon 5wood. I bought the 3W+ from him and I bomb that thing. Very easy to hit and straight. Good luck with your search!

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/113586-Srixon-F85-5-wood

Hi all. Looking for some suggestions in this area. The front runner so far is the ping g or g400. Low profile, low cg, very straight, not too light overall. One other unknown for me is turf interaction when you hit it a little heavy. Overall looking to get though turf and launch the ball high and straight. Any suggestions?

I probably have not hit enough of the newer stuff to be of any help. I play a TEE EX10 Beta 4W and I love it. I pretty much love everything about. I also like the Callaway Epic woods. I also liked the old Cobra F7 3-4W, but I haven't hit the newer ones.

Look at the Srixon 5 wood, its a beast!!!

Cobra FW’s is what I would check out. The F8-F9 would be good options. I know the Cobra F Max line is a good option too. They help get the ball up really easily.

My Driver is the G400 and I thought I'd love the G400 fairway. I didn't have a lot of success with turf interaction and looked elsewhere. I now am in a Rogue 4 wood that I love.

Thanks all. It's just one of those things where if I hit it a bit fat I need sole relief. Then if I adjust for that I will hit the odd one thin and that's where the low profile head helps. Another thing I'm avoiding is draw bias.

Cobra F9 lineup has you covered.

Only speaking of my experience (yeah, limited), I game TM Burner '08 3W and Cobra F8 5-6. Both launch easy and interact with turf quite well. TM a bit better than Cobra which is a bit of a surprise. And it's dirt cheap on 2nd hand market.

Karl...check out @LLIB's for sale post for his Srixon 5wood. I bought the 3W+ from him and I bomb that thing. Very easy to hit and straight. Good luck with your search!

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/113586-Srixon-F85-5-wood

I’ll make someone a helluva deal. It’s really easy to hit I just overestimated my swing when it comes to the shaft. It’s a little too much for me. But there is no draw bias and turf interaction is excellent. I’m a digger with a stupidly steep swing so I know first hand how it feels to hit a club a little heavy.

Since you are gaming a HeavenWood and no 3 wood, I'd suggest going with a 4 wood.

I already upgraded the F7 3w to the F9 standard and am in love. Combination of swing improvements/speed additions and the F9's face makes it better off the tee for me.

That being said, I'm a 3w/5w/7w player. Has anyone compared the higher lofted F9 fairways to previous models?

Cobra F9 lineup has you covered.

I will have to try the f8/f9. Do you know if the face is shallower than the g400. I used to have the bio cell which had a deeper face and dug into the turf at times.

I will have to try the f8/f9. Do you know if the face is shallower than the g400. I used to have the bio cell which had a deeper face and dug into the turf at times.

I can’t compare it to the G400 but I believe it is a bit shallower than the Bio Cell - also the bio cell did not have baffler rails - the F8 and F9 lineup both do and the rails are a huge help with turf interaction

I looked hard for a 4w and researched the topic extensively and did not limit myself to current models. I was wanting to go driver, 4w, and 4h. After one miss, I discovered the callaway xr16 based on many great reviews. I look for guys who said it was great in 2017 and still have it in the bag. I lucked into a new model with custom shaft. I am hitting it as far as my old 3w and better on turf. I have not hit many of the new model fw woods but I will say that the xr16 has a sweet spot so big that it is noticeable for me. I've also gotten the Rogue 4h and hit it well but have a tendency to overcook the draw with it.

The criteria you seek are found in the Cobra F9. It is a forgiving head, adjustable as to loft and lie and the rails help a great deal with the turf interaction. It may not be as low profile as the Ping (although I haven’t compared directly, but it is not at all difficult to launch. There should be a lot of feed back coming in from the guys who just finished the Morgan Cup event.

How close would the f8/f9 be to the ping g/g400 in forgiveness and straight flight down range? On the other hand how much would the pings dig compared to the cobras?

Callaway Pre-owned has a sale going on right now. You might want to check out the Epic and Rogue fairway woods.

Cobra F9 lineup. If you need help off the turf the rails got you covered.

I have both the f9 and f9 tour. Whichever headshape you like better is my recommendation.

For reference, my f9 tour 4-5 is probably my favorite club in the bag.

I just so happen to have a TEE EX10 Beta in the Marketplace, it checks all the boxes. It’s one I was going to recommend anyway, but also Srixon F85 and Callaway Rogue are both really good fairway woods.

The F9 would be more similar to the G400 than the Bio Cell in terms of head profile. I hit the G400 fairways. They are great clubs. I have not done a head to head and haven’t even hit the G400s since they first came out, so I don’t know which is longer (the F9 or the G400). However, I can assure you that the F9 is as easy to elevate as any other fairway wood out there. The rails really work for their intended purpose, which is to get the center of gravity down and to cut through the turf. Either is a great option, but I think anyone would be doing themselves a disservice not to at least look at the F9s.

I think I answered most of what you were asking in the post above.

Back