new fairway wood and hybrid

weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently gaming a Rogue 4 wood and a steelhead XR 4 hybrid. I am thinking I want to go to a 3 wood and 3 hybrid instead. I will be hitting as many as I can on the course before deciding but was hoping to hear feedback from others.
Fairway considerations.....Epic Flash, F9, EXS other??? I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend $400 on a F5
hybrid considerations......Rogue, F9, EXS Srixon H85 (I play z 585 irons)
Ping thoughts....my current gamer driver is the G400 Max and I love it but when I tried last years G400 series FW and hybrids I really didn't care for them.
I'm thinking the 3 hybrid will be more of a "launcher" type so distance, and easy to hit trumps green holding for this club. I will need a club to gap this and my 4 iron anyway (either a 4H or a utility)

12 handicap w/ medium SS hovering between regular and stiff flex. Steel irons are regular flex stepped 1 stiff and I can play regular flex in driver as long as it is a bit more stable regular flex......if this info helps

I am currently gaming a Rogue 4 wood and a steelhead XR 4 hybrid. I am thinking I want to go to a 3 wood and 3 hybrid instead. I will be hitting as many as I can on the course before deciding but was hoping to hear feedback from others.
Fairway considerations.....Epic Flash, F9, EXS other??? I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend $400 on a F5
hybrid considerations......Rogue, F9, EXS Srixon H85 (I play z 585 irons)
Ping thoughts....my current gamer driver is the G400 Max and I love it but when I tried last years G400 series FW and hybrids I really didn't care for them.
I'm thinking the 3 hybrid will be more of a "launcher" type so distance, and easy to hit trumps green holding for this club. I will need a club to gap this and my 4 iron anyway (either a 4H or a utility)

if you're considering the Srixon h85 I highly suggest trying the 3w f85 also.... I had the f85 3w and the h85 2h. both are excellent clubs that I thought would be in my bag a long long time. the m6 3w head to head was better for me (got custom fit for that so im sure that played a part). And I got rid of the 2hybrid for the Srixon u85 instead (I like an iron look more)

both the 3w and hybrid were easy to launch and were absolute ball speed monsters!!

and comps between the fairway woods I listed?

FWIW, I purchased G400 3FW and 5FW last year. I replaced them over the winter with a Rogue 3FW and Rogue 3X hybrid. I liked the Ping clubs but Rogue is more consistent and as long, or longer, than a G400. I also prefer hitting a hybrid over a FW.

Your swing speed sounds similar to mine. If you try the EXS, go with stiff flex. The regular flex was a touch too soft for me. The EXS hybrid was excellent IMO. The driver was great. The strong 3 fairway was OK, but I’m not the best at hitting 13 degree fairways off the deck. I did hit the 4-wood good, tho. I used the Tensei Blue in all, including the irons, which were awesome btw.

I hit both the hybrid and fairway exs. The hybrid was the 4 w the 70 gram regular flex shaft. Quite possibly the easiest hybrid I've ever hit. Distance was a couple yards less than than my rogue but way easier to elevate. This club in the 3 is now a serious ponder. Hit the 3 fairway in the 50 gram regular flex and hated it. That's just way too soft a shaft for me. I see they make a 60 gram regular flex also. That's probably what I need. Really couldn't get a idea on the fairway due to the shaft

You really just need to hit up a GolfGalaxy or PGA Superstore with an hour to spend and hit them all. I think with those clubs you kind of know exactly what you want and you just need to find it. Also, for long clubs your generally hitting in ideal circumstances so the mat surface is comparable. I think face depth and sole shape are huge factors in how a fairway wood or hybrid feel. Some people love flat soled shallow faced fairway woods and some people like a more v shape sole with a deeper oval face. For hybrids some like the head to be almost like a fairway wood and some like it to be almost like an iron. This part of the bag is almost like the wedges in how much the individual golfers preferences come into club selection.

Neither of those are options close to where I live. We have a locally owned golf store. It's pretty good, launch monitor, certified fitters etc. Demos of most major brands and are great about letting you demo them on course. They just don't have all the shaft etc

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer but your current config is pretty good. I'm playing a XR16 4wood and Rogue 4 hybrid and I think it meets my yardage gaps. the 4w is as long a my old 3w and easier to hit from fairway. My rogue 4h is 21 degrees and longer then my old 3h and about the same loft. If one does not seek 3 wedges past 48 degrees then other configs might be better.

FWIW, I purchased G400 3FW and 5FW last year. I replaced them over the winter with a Rogue 3FW and Rogue 3X hybrid. I liked the Ping clubs but Rogue is more consistent and as long, or longer, than a G400. I also prefer hitting a hybrid over a FW.

I too replaced G400's woods and G hybrids with Rogue's. Easier to hit and longer + cheaper @CPO.

Soon to post here for sale.

I too replaced G400's woods and G hybrids with Rogue's. Easier to hit and longer + cheaper @CPO.

Soon to post here for sale.

Great minds think alike...CPO for me too!

I was fitted with the Callaway Rogue fairway metal last year. Really love the jailbreak technology. Whatever you do, don't overlook the shaft. In these clubs, the shaft has as big an impact on performance as the head.

There is a ton of material on the F9s in their respective threads, given that they have been through the heat of battle with the two Morgan Cup teams. Both the 3 wood and the hybrid in the F9 line are very solid. One other option you might think about is the F9 Tour 4/5 wood. The head is not much bigger than the F9 hybrid and with its adjustability, you can go anywhere from 16 to 19 degrees. In a way, it is like a hybrid on steriods, when adjusted up to the 18/19 degree range.

There is a ton of material on the F9s in their respective threads, given that they have been through the heat of battle with the two Morgan Cup teams. Both the 3 wood and the hybrid in the F9 line are very solid. One other option you might think about is the F9 Tour 4/5 wood. The head is not much bigger than the F9 hybrid and with its adjustability, you can go anywhere from 16 to 19 degrees. In a way, it is like a hybrid on steriods, when adjusted up to the 18/19 degree range.
Agreed with this comment. The f9 tour fairway is solid in that 4-5 slot. Off the tee or into greens this thing is beastly.

For the 3 wood it really depends more on what you are looking for. If you had a 4 wood previously, were you going with the extra loft for help off the turf or for proper gapping with your driver?

I would highly recommend looking through the f9 threads for information about them. You'll see mostly positive comments, because I think for a lot of the Morgan Cuppers these turned out to be the favorite clubs in their bag.

Back