2019 Odyssey Experience: Travel and Extra Rounds thread

CBaker

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well - 8 of us lucky SOB's will be heading down to Hammock beach golf club with the team from Odyssey to talk putters and soak up the sun. We can use this thread to plan any travel arrangements to make driving to the course in groups easier and plan any potential extra rounds as well.

I'm planning on taking Thursday off as well and potentially flying down a day early, and might be up to play an extra round either Thursday or Friday if anyone will be doing the same. To me, when looking between Orlando and Jacksonville, it actually looked easier to fly into Orlando and drive up, so that might be what I do. If anyone has made this trip before and can give better insight on that, let me know, I'm just going off what it looks like on google maps.

Also - if you're coming in Thursday, I'm very down to get some good food and cigars somewhere around town.

I'm planning on taking Thursday off as well and potentially flying down a day early, and might be up to play an extra round either Thursday or Friday if anyone will be doing the same. To me, when looking between Orlando and Jacksonville, it actually looked easier to fly into Orlando and drive up, so that might be what I do. If anyone has made this trip before and can give better insight on that, let me know, I'm just going off what it looks like on google maps.

Also - if you're coming in Thursday, I'm very down to get some good food and cigars somewhere around town.

Daytona is the easiest to fly into.
Second would be Jax
Third would be Orlando.

This is based on Distance and Traffic.

I was a fan of Jax I know @tpluff flew into Daytona

If any participants have any questions please feel free to reach out

Have fun, Hammock is a freaking kick @$$ venue

Well - 8 of us lucky SOB's will be heading down to Hammock beach golf club with the team from Odyssey to talk putters and soak up the sun. We can use this thread to plan any travel arrangements to make driving to the course in groups easier and plan any potential extra rounds as well.

Thanks for starting this thread!

So my plan right now is to Red Eye into Orlando Friday morning (or possibly Thursday night). So I would be down to play somewhere Friday afternoon. If others come into Orlando we could try to coordinate and only get 1 rental car. I am flying out Sunday night night about 6pm.

Thanks for starting this thread!

So my plan right now is to Red Eye into Orlando Friday morning (or possibly Thursday night). So I would be down to play somewhere Friday afternoon. If others come into Orlando we could try to coordinate and only get 1 rental car. I am flying out Sunday night night about 6pm.

We will have details on dinner for Friday coming up soon as well. Its going to begin at 6:30 I believe (dont quote me on that yet though).

I'm hoping to fly in Thursday night. Depending when we have to be at Hammock Beach, I would be down for Friday golf before the event officially kicks off. I need to look at airfare and will updated when I know more.

Daytona is the easiest to fly into.
Second would be Jax
Third would be Orlando.

This is based on Distance and Traffic.

I'll have to see about flights into Daytona from either Columbus or Cleveland. I don't expect to find many directs through Daytona, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

hammock is a little over an hour away from orlando. that's my birthday weekend, so i would 1,000% love to meet up with you guys to play golf and hang if you'll have me.

Looking like Orlando is the better option for me. Overall travel time would be less, as I can't get a direct flight into Daytona, and the flights are more expensive with that option anyway. I've flown into Orlando a bunch too, so I am familiar and comfortable with it.

Now to figure out if I'll come down Thursday or early Friday.

@McLovin - If I come in early to Orlando, we for sure need to catch back up over some food and wine at least, if I'm not able to get in early enough for Golf.

I have done Jax and Orlando. I would do Jax. Getting rental car in Orlando airport is a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now Canton/Akron to Jacksonville is looking like my option. Arriving at 9:34am Friday so would for sure have time to get a round in on Friday.

Need to look at Thursday night options as well though.

I have done Jax and Orlando. I would do Jax. Getting rental car in Orlando airport is a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea that's the decision now as it appears Daytona is out for me. Orlando I don't fully mind the rental car deal, but maybe I'm just used to it by now. Might come down to where others end up flying into and what gets arranged.

Hi guys i am down for golf on Friday as i plan to be there Thursday aft. I have to start looking now for flights from AZ! Will the Friday golf be in Orlando area? And Mclovin that would be awesome to meet up and cannot wait to be down there.

Delta is my best option flying out of Memphis. Flying into JAX on Friday morning, the earliest arrival is 10:40 am. Orlando is 10:29. Daytona Beach is 11:02.

I'm up for Friday afternoon golf wherever.

Hi guys i am down for golf on Friday as i plan to be there Thursday aft. I have to start looking now for flights from AZ! Will the Friday golf be in Orlando area? And Mclovin that would be awesome to meet up and cannot wait to be down there.

I would think we would be better off trying to golf closer to the resort. dinner at 6:30 or so, would like to get a shower in before we meet up for dinner.

And I would guess traffic from Orlando is going to get worse as people get off work.

Alright, my planned itinerary is as follows:

5/17/19 6:48 AM - Land at Orlando
5/17/19 7:20 AM - get clubs
5/17/19 7:45 AM - Get my mid size rental car from Enterprise
5/17/19 - 8:15 AM - get some Chic-Fil-A for breakfast
5/17/19 - 8:45 AM to 5:30 pm - play golf, eat some lunch and make my way to Hammock Beach
5/17/19 5:30 pm to 6:25 PM - check into the resort, get cleaned up and head to dinner
5/17/19 6:30 pm to 5/19/19 4:00 PM - THP controls this time
5/19/19 4:15 PM - head back to Orlando for my Sunday night flight.

So I am pretty wide open, figure there will be 8-12 hours of sleep somewhere in there but that is not guaranteed.

I would think we would be better off trying to golf closer to the resort. dinner at 6:30 or so, would like to get a shower in before we meet up for dinner.

And I would guess traffic from Orlando is going to get worse as people get off work.

OK i am looking now Orlando has way more flight options i can just stay around there somewhere!

OK i am looking now Orlando has way more flight options i can just stay around there somewhere!

yeah, I wanted to fly into Daytona, but Orlando has so many more options from the West Coast.

I'm hoping to borrow a hard case from one of my buddies but, just in case, what travel case do y'all use or recommend?

And if someone else gets in earlier and rents a car and has room for me, my clubs and my ego I would love to split costs.

I'm hoping to borrow a hard case from one of my buddies but, just in case, what travel case do y'all use or recommend?

Good question i have to get a travel bag also!

Alright, my planned itinerary is as follows:

5/17/19 6:48 AM - Land at Orlando
5/17/19 7:20 AM - get clubs
5/17/19 7:45 AM - Get my mid size rental car from Enterprise
5/17/19 - 8:15 AM - get some Chic-Fil-A for breakfast
5/17/19 - 8:45 AM to 5:30 pm - play golf, eat some lunch and make my way to Hammock Beach
5/17/19 5:30 pm to 6:25 PM - check into the resort, get cleaned up and head to dinner
5/17/19 6:30 pm to 5/19/19 4:00 PM - THP controls this time
5/19/19 4:15 PM - head back to Orlando for my Sunday night flight.

So I am pretty wide open, figure there will be 8-12 hours of sleep somewhere in there but that is not guaranteed.

you talking about playing golf near orlando, then driving to hammock? cuz ain't no way you're getting from oia to palm coast in 30 minutes.

if you want to play around the airport, eagle creek is close in proximity, 15-20 minutes accounting for traffic.

you talking about playing golf near orlando, then driving to hammock? cuz ain't no way you're getting from oia to palm coast in 30 minutes.

if you want to play around the airport, eagle creek is close in proximity, 15-20 minutes accounting for traffic.

not leaving at 5:30, would like to arrive at Hammock by 5:30, which means leaving orlando no later than 3:30, but ideally I would probably play at Hammock or somewhere closer but am leaving options open.

I will look into flying on Thursday as well and open to play on Friday. When should we look at departure? Sunday night or Monday?

Flights for me are far cheaper to Orlando, then Jacksonville, then Daytona. Of course, the drive from Orlando or Jacksonville is about an hour longer than Daytona.

As for renting a vehicle, I am very familiar with Orlando. Been there more times then I want to admit. I don't know the airports in Jacksonville or Daytona.

Last edited:
Back