Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Yeah - I think the fitter was wrong, IMHO, but he is not a WS rep, just a guy who works at the store. He probably just does not know what the F/C/D letters mean.
And, while others mentioned poor dispersion, mine was pretty good, although not as good as the F5. But, given the increase in distance, I did not expect a tight dispersion (after the first shot).
I may find a 4 iron somewhere, see what that club does, maybe put that in my bag in place of a FW.

FYI: You can get a 4 iron at TGW with all sorts of shaft options. I purchased a 7 iron as a test club with the Rogue graphite shaft and my known specs.

I agree. Unless the W/S rep had multiple engagements that day, there really shouldn't be an excuse to not have your ass there doing fittings. The whole adage "when you want something done right, you do it yourself" and all ... reading some of these stories about lackadaisical W/S reps is pissing me off. I really do hope Mr. Vrska and the other W/S big-wings are still reading this thread.

I firmly believe any organization is only as good as the people who represent them.

Hopefully something positive will come out of this for W/S. It is difficult enough to come up with innovative products, then make a major advertising commitment only to be negatively impacted by some folks in the field.

Yes, there are a lot of tire kickers at these events but even my wife is on my case to buy new irons. So I'm going there to spend money. If all had gone well my shopping might have been close to a done deal. Now I feel as if I'm starting over from scratch even though I was doing some comparative shopping anyway. Now the field has broadened.

I'm not giving up after listening to Mr. Vrska's interview on THP Radio. Very enlightening.

I'm sorry to hear about your and potbunker's experiences. I too was planning on attending that Demo Days event at Carl's Golfland but with some great advice from potbunker I stopped by Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor. They weren't having any special events, just a typical Saturday. The employee that helped me suggested that I also try the F5s after I asked to hit the C200s. He asked me plenty of questions about my swing and had me try each head in two different shafts. I can't say enough good things about my experience at Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor. I will be making the 2 hour trip back down there when I do buy a new iron set.

I had a very similar experience with the clubs as far as your performance Asixa. I hit a 7 iron in the C200's with 2 different shafts, both of which went about 10 yards farther (160-170) than my typical 7 iron (150-155). Both shafts that I tried in the C200's produced hooks, like 20-25 yards hooks with a 7 iron. I don't even like my driver to move that far left to right, definitely not a mid iron. The F5's both produced my typical preferred draw, starting right and moving slightly left. I did however lose a little distance with the F5, I was getting 145-150.

The search continues...

I'm sorry to hear about your and potbunker's experiences. I too was planning on attending that Demo Days event at Carl's Golfland but with some great advice from potbunker I stopped by Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor. They weren't having any special events, just a typical Saturday. The employee that helped me suggested that I also try the F5s after I asked to hit the C200s. He asked me plenty of questions about my swing and had me try each head in two different shafts. I can't say enough good things about my experience at Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor. I will be making the 2 hour trip back down there when I do buy a new iron set.

I had a very similar experience with the clubs as far as your performance Asixa. I hit a 7 iron in the C200's with 2 different shafts, both of which went about 10 yards farther (160-170) than my typical 7 iron (150-155). Both shafts that I tried in the C200's produced hooks, like 20-25 yards hooks with a 7 iron. I don't even like my driver to move that far left to right, definitely not a mid iron. The F5's both produced my typical preferred draw, starting right and moving slightly left. I did however lose a little distance with the F5, I was getting 145-150.

The search continues...

As much as I love Carl's Golfland, I'm glad you had a great experience at the other quality store in the area.

Hooks could be as simple as the shaft or needing a flatter lie. Doubt a 1/4" would make that much difference but the C200 is slightly longer than the F5 with the same lie angle specs for both.

I agree. Unless the W/S rep had multiple engagements that day, there really shouldn't be an excuse to not have your ass there doing fittings. The whole adage "when you want something done right, you do it yourself" and all ... reading some of these stories about lackadaisical W/S reps is pissing me off. I really do hope Mr. Vrska and the other W/S big-wigs are still reading this thread.

I guess the rep's can't be bothered attitude would be fine if your summer job is promoting boxed sets at Wal-Mart. However, after following along with this thread as well as Mr. Vrska's podcast I expect more.

I tweeted them a link to it. They definitely need to hear stuff like this. One negative in an environment like this can affect the opinions of others by a couple orders of magnitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for doing that. I like what W/S is bringing to the table and it pisses me off that their own reps are either unwilling or incapable of doing the job they were hired to do. I hate to say it but maybe some of this deadwood needs to go.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Even with a new iron set on the way to me, I still have C200s on the mind. At some point, they will replace my C100s, so I keep some :wilsonstaff: irons in the rotation. Hope everyone continues posting their experiences with the clubs.

To those who had less than acceptable experiences with local reps (or lack of rep), I also hope W/S gets the message, and gets that straightened out. Right or wrong, one bad experience ends up getting more "legs" than an equivalent positive experience, so W/S needs to have their local reps on the ball.

I signed up for a time slot at the Edwinn Watts in KC. I even got an email from Wilson the day prior confirming my time, great communication and customer service.

When Igot there, a bit early, the rep was setting up so I gave him some space, but then I walked over and introduced myself, and told him if he wanted to start early I was available, he told me to just grab the club and start warming up, he asked about my THP 1/4 zip and we chatted about THP a bit. He gave me the C200 7 iron, KBS Tour 90 stiff and told me to swing away, first swing out of the gate after being in a car for 3 hours was this beauty!

Are you kidding me, 167 carry and 116 ball, that's crazy long for me and for what I'm seeing out of my XR Pros. We worked a bit on the lie board, length and kept hitting some awesome shots even on miss hits. He then gave me the 6 iron, I hit a few good ones, but this thin shot really stuck out to me:

It was off the lie board, so a bit inflated, but holy cow that's crazy carry distance and ball speed for a thin shot!

All in all I walked away super impressed, first glance you can really see the slots and they are a bit bigger/beefier than what I've had lately, but the performance speaks for themselves. Dave, the rep, had a ton of great info, technical knowledge and a bit of history about the USGA dragging their feet on approving, even talking about how his pros wanted them for the British last year and couldn't due to the non approval yet.

After a lot of tweaks with lie/length he fit me into the 3-GW set, allowing me to use the 3 and 4 off tees, with KBS Tour 90 stiff, standard length/grip and 2* flat.

I really need to figure out a way to make sure a set of these ends up in the bag this year for some long term testing, my current irons, have been a goal for me for a while, especially with the graphite shafts, but after talking with him about steel for me, he really believed, in this set steel was the way to go.

I may need to find a single c200 to test for a bit, especially head to head.

Went to the driving range today. First time out with the C200's...didn't have much time today, but wanted to post my initial thoughts.

I have to say it took me a few swings before I found that one that made me go 'wow'. The wind was nuts today so trying to get a good read on distances was pretty much impossible. I'm definitely hitting these better than my old Bio Cell's, so I'm relieved. Ball flight was definitely higher and mishits were more forgiving. You can definitely feel the difference in a good shot and bad shot with these. When I hit one pure, I had the same reaction a lot of others did. Felt like the ball was springing off the face and It just felt good.

I do know one thing for sure. That GW. Holy s***. That club seems like a pin seeker. I feel like I could put that one wherever I want.

Excited to get some more swings in with these when I have time and I'll post back with more thoughts.

First time on the range with C200

First time on the range with C200

Went to the driving range today. First time out with the C200's...didn't have much time today, but wanted to post my initial thoughts.

I have to say it took me a few swings before I found that one that made me go 'wow'. The wind was nuts today so trying to get a good read on distances was pretty much impossible. I'm definitely hitting these better than my old Bio Cell's, so I'm relieved. Ball flight was definitely higher and mishits were more forgiving. You can definitely feel the difference in a good shot and bad shot with these. When I hit one pure, I had the same reaction a lot of others did. Felt like the ball was springing off the face and It just felt good.

I do know one thing for sure. That GW. Holy s***. That club seems like a pin seeker. I feel like I could put that one wherever I want.

Excited to get some more swings in with these when I have time and I'll post back with more thoughts.

I can really relate to what Nappy has to say here....
Today is a beautiful day here in Pinehurst (mid 70s) and it would have been a sin not to at least get on the range. So I grabbed my C200 five iron with the Rogue graphite shaft and off I went.

Let me preface this by stating that I am not a good golfer...typically shoot a humdrum mid to high 80s. So these comments are coming from a high capper.

It was a bit breezy on the range...maybe about a 15 -20 mph headwind.
First 5 or 6 swings were my first swings so of the season and we won't even count those.....horrible swings.
But then I slowed things down, focused on head down and a good shoulder turn and wow! Like the others have said here, you know when you don't catch it flush. But it doesn't punish you badly. Not a harsh feel at all with some loss of distance. But when you catch it flush, these feel so-o-o-o good. I play the WS Duo 2 piece ball and the range balls seem like rocks in comparison. But today with a flush hit with these C200's, even the range balls felt really soft. I can't say that I can actually feel the face compress but they sure seem soft on a good hit.
The other comment I have, like the others here, is that they sure do launch high. For me personally, I love that. I'll give up 10 yards anytime to a high shot even with a mid iron.

I only hit the 5 iron and as many others have stated here, the higher lofted clubs are awesome pin seekers.

Last year I played the D200 and I much prefer these C200's. the D200 is a great iron but they seemed a bit heavy and a bit harsh with mishits. Personally, the C200's are not any longer than the D200's but definitely feel softer and are somewhat more forgiving. The C200's have found a place in my bag for the upcoming season for sure.

One last thing, like so many others have said here, you don't notice the "urethane holes" after a few swings.

If you haven't hit these, you owe it to yourself to give them a try. Different strokes for different folks but these seem like the real deal to me.

I feel the need to chime in here after reading other golfers take on their experience during demo day. First my experience.....during the hours declared as "test time" there were only 2 half hour demos scheduled. that left like 8-10 open time slots. i was there purely for the F5, not the c200. The golfers warehouse did have a complete set of both the c200 and f5. the gentleman administering the demo stated he was a part time wilson rep. that day was the first time he had heard of or seen the f5. the only club that the shaft could be altered on was a c200 7 iron. the rep was as helpful as he could be, offering comment and suggestion. I left the gw a bit underwhelmed, mostly because me swinging was poor at best and I had imagined more. more choice/option. after i digested my experience i rationalized that my experience was probably just as w/s had planned it. not that they planned what happened but simply to give the opportunity to hit a somewhat difficult to demo line. nothing more. i think many folks were underwhelmed, as i was, because they had a greater expectation than w/s had planned to deliver. this wasn't a demo day with wilson staff employees or tour van, it wasn't a fitting for a new set of clubs. it was kind of like a speed date with the c200.

Great write up and data Icey. Having just played a round with you recently those are some serious numbers. Even though this was on a monitor, how did you feel about line / off line performance? Kind of hard to tell scale from the monitor screen shots.

I wish I could hit my 5-iron as far as you hit the 7 dude!

JM

Great write up and data Icey. Having just played a round with you recently those are some serious numbers. Even though this was on a monitor, how did you feel about line / off line performance? Kind of hard to tell scale from the monitor screen shots.

I wish I could hit my 5-iron as far as you hit the 7 dude!

JM
Honestly I was really surprised by the C200s, at first glance they are a bit larger than what I've been playing, and the visible tech certainly stands out, but after 1 swing you can see the performance in the #s! I don't know if I felt it after a few swings, but after a while you find yourself feeling for that solid contact, because even on miss hits these things go!

I was most surprised by the KBS shaft he fit me into, I've been on a graphite stint as of late, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the last time I did an iron fitting was back with the TM CBs and they fit me into stock KBS as well!

I really find this disappointing. W/S is doing so many things right to screw up the point of sale is terrible. I had a similar situation. I had gone onto their site to see where they had the new Duo U. It indicated there would be two ball packs to try at a Golf Smith some what near me. I drive a half hour to find no two ball packs and no new balls either. I am very pro Wilson but I also believe in getting stuff done correctly. The market is WAY too competitive to have screw ups.

I have a soft spot for Wilson Staff irons, as my dad had a great set of the blades from the early 80's, and I spent a lot of my teenage years learning the game on these and other blades.

These days, face technology is where it's at, and Wilson has a compelling story here. These have a great, high tech look. The holy grail for me is an iron that promises and delivers consistent ball speeds in a generous area surrounding the sweet spot - and Wilson is drawing my attention. A 'hot' face is nice, but never at the expense of consistent speeds, otherwise it's a shotgun when the tool you need is a sniper rifle.

Looking forward to hitting these in the spring!!

I tweeted them a link to it. They definitely need to hear stuff like this. One negative in an environment like this can affect the opinions of others by a couple orders of magnitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they respond to your tweet?

W/S was at demo days again today and the same guy was there as the first time I went to specifically try the C200. My assumption, he is the local Michigan rep. Very disappointing so it is down to Callaway and Mizuno.

I'm in Illinois so I'm right in Wilson's wheel house. At the demo day last year at Golf Shack in Rockford they had tons of clubs -- multiple club heads for their various lines and basic shaft options (standard steel/graphite in flex ranges).

It appears their infrastructure in the rest of the country lags behind.

Dave

I'm in Illinois so I'm right in Wilson's wheel house. At the demo day last year at Golf Shack in Rockford they had tons of clubs -- multiple club heads for their various lines and basic shaft options (standard steel/graphite in flex ranges).

It appears their infrastructure in the rest of the country lags behind.

Dave

Dave, you are fortunate and you had people wanting to sell their product. I even considered making a trip to Chicago for a fitting.

He had the fitting cart both times at my demo days. Not what others had such as Ping, TM and Callaway, and that was to be expected.

But as stated earlier (by two of us), it wasn't so much the lack of options, but rather the W/S reps lack of interest in discussing fitting options, not asking questions about my demo and game, and in general ho hum demeanor. I even told him I came there specifically to try the C200 based upon what I had read. That prompted no response, appreciation or admiration for his own product.

Very odd and honestly a first for me.

Steve

Last edited:
Did they respond to your tweet?

W/S was at demo days again today and the same guy was there as the first time I went to specifically try the C200. My assumption, he is the local Michigan rep. Very disappointing so it is down to Callaway and Mizuno.

I got nothing. Dunno if they saw it or not, either way they're dropping the ball.

First 18 holes with the C200

First 18 holes with the C200

I got nothing. Dunno if they saw it or not, either way they're dropping the ball.

It's really disappointing to read that so many of you are having so much difficulty testing or getting fitted with WS irons. I don't know if this will help any of you, but here in the Pinehurst area there is a WS demo day next week on March 18 at Knollwood golf course. Maybe there are few of you close enough to this area to consider a trip.

I purchased the C200 irons about 3 weeks ago and was able to get in my first 18 holes with them this past week. I am VERY impressed. It's the beginning of the golf season for me so the swing is certainly a bit rusty. What has impressed me most with the C200's is that even miss-hits are really impressive. The course I played was in tough shape with the Bermuda fairways pretty much brown with no over seeding. Every fairway lie was really tight and I hit quite a few thin shots. I got very decent results with almost every thin shot. Very little dispersion with a manageable loss in distance. There were a couple shots from the rough with a better lie and the flush shots were wonderful. Great high launch on almost every shot. Even my playing partner who struggles mightily with his irons was impressed on how they feel.

Let me close by saying that I am biased with WS irons. I've hit them all my golfing life back to the old goose necks.
Unfortunately the Wilson woods like the D200 do not get along with me. I tried. Went back to SLDR.

BUT, the WS C200's are incredible irons.
I really hope that many of you that are having difficulty getting access to them are able to get your hands on them eventually. Don't give up.
Good luck...it's worth the effort.

For anyone in the NoVA area you can hit these at Golfdom in Tysons.

Hit these yesterday during my fitting. Couldn't find a combo that worked for me but I can see what all the praise is about. These things launch the ball super easy. I was hitting moon balls with the 7I but the distance was still there. Went a different way but I'd recommend these for anyone to at least try when looking for new irons. My fitter said that he thinks these irons are gonna be the surprise of the year.

First round under my belt on Friday at The Oaks in Cottage Grove, WI. I've played this course a couple times last year so I felt pretty comfortable knowing what clubs to hit and what distances I should expect. I honestly struggled with my long irons on the front nine. I'm not sure if I was just unable to get the feel of the clubs, but I suspect some of it had to do with the inconsistency of the turf we were hitting off of. It's March in Wisconsin and we're trudging through soggy fairways. I had a couple licks with my 5 iron that felt solid and pure, but the one time I needed the four iron and the few times I hit my 6 iron I was left scratching my head a little. I'm sure a lot of this the winter rust from not swinging a club for so long.

The short irons however...I've never felt more comfortable with clubs 8-GW. That GW is still a thing of beauty. On the very first hole I had 95 left to the pin and I stuck it within 5 feet. It just felt so pure, I can't even explain it. First time I've ever started off with a birdie for the year. My playing partner was also admiring these clubs all day. He was a Taylormade homer and loved the look of them. I let him hit a few and he was really impressed.

I think the more I get to play these, the more I'm going to fall in love with them. I hope everyone looking for new irons gets the chance to give these a swing. I know I pestered Nevada Bob's in Madison for a few weeks asking when they'd get these in and I still don't think they have them. I'm not sure if that's on Wilson or someone else. Last they told me they expected them in mid to late Feb and I still don't think they've got them in yet.

Nice first thoughts, Nappy. Definitely would like to hear how you progress with the long/mid irons as you get to spend more time with them.

Thanks for the update guys!!

Back