150 yard percentage

weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
Please post what you think your percentage of hitting and holding a green is from 150 yards out along with your handicap. I ask this because 150 yards is the distance from which I feel I should hit the green a fair amount but the reality is I'm probably around 35%. I am a 12 handicap and would actually consider my iron game to be stronger than my driver game so I'm curious what others are at. I think most people (myself included) vastly over estimate their GIR. The average GIR for my hdcp is like 5 or 6 and I originally thought I hit "way more" than that but after keeping track I certainly don't!

From 150 yards out I will be hitting either a PW, 9 iron, or 8 iron depending on the situation.

I like to think I hit greens 50% of the time, but I think a more honest answer is probably 40% I guess it's kinda strange to think about since I know I pin hunt far too much so I'm not sure what I would if I was just trying to get it on the green.

That's the beauty of cobra connect and other shot tracking tools, you will find out quickly if what you imagine your game to be matches up with reality.

According to arccos I play to 11.5 with an approach handicap of an 9.9.

Last edited:
I don't track this stat but if I had to guess maybe 40-50%. 7i is my 155 club. Playing at 14.3 currently.

I would think in the 40-50% range, 145-160 is my happy range so I'm not sure there is any distance that I get on more often from.

After thinking about it more I bet it's more like 25%. I'm bad at golf.

Last edited:
My distance is about the dame as yours is The...Dude......my 7 iron is 155 so I'm at a small 7 or big 8 from that range normally.

I would like to hope it's above 40%.

so I wonder what I actually do "well" for my hdcp...lol. I see a few guys who's handicap is similar or a tad higher than mine who are higher percentage than me. Considering I feel like driving the ball is my biggest weakness and I also feel like my putting is sub standard! I guess I must chip well!

I'm about a 22 handicap. 150 yards is an 8 iron for me. If I had to estimate, I'd say I'm on the green about 25-35% of the time

That is pretty much a 7I for me and per Arccos I hit the green with my 7I 27.5% of the time. I am about a 12 handicap, and my full swing is the weakest part of my game so I am not all that surprised by that stat.

Probably about 20%, but that number should be going up this year, I've practiced 150 a ton this spring.

Not sure, but I imagine that it's lower than I really think.

I have a golf course in my front yard.....I really should go out and do the 150 drill. Hit balls from 150 w/ the goal of making "par" either vial hitting the green or getting up and down either by a good chip or putt. That's just not as fun as whacking the driver or actually playing a round

I'm a 16 or so right now. 150 is between an easy 8 or big 9 for me. I'd like to think I hit the green 30% of the time from there but know I most likely don't. It's not a distance I try to lay up to.

That is pretty much a 7I for me and per Arccos I hit the green with my 7I 27.5% of the time. I am about a 12 handicap, and my full swing is the weakest part of my game so I am not all that surprised by that stat.

If you're a 27 from there then I am probably a 15%

This is why I'm excited for my arccos data this year.

17.5 hdcp here and trending up after my last round (98). I would guess I am 25% from that range, but really curious to know how close I am to that number.

150 is a 9 iron or some kind of punch 8 depending on a variety of factors.

My guess is 70% if I am at the middle of the green, but usually I play to a side of a green so 60%.

I'm a 6 hndcp.

Here are some stats across the dozen or so rounds I played in 2018, before an MCL torn on dirt bike in mid August ended my season early. I’m a 6 cap:

780892287dd5175c060ca4c0524df39f.jpg

f7ec062dc248b1668bc4a72632d77fe7.jpg

And a couple good references for comparative performance benchmarking:

cc0714e01b56e9552f4ec2881e1d65eb.gif

From 2016 (above)
https://mygolfspy.com/2016-report-overall-golfer-performance-by-handicap/
From 2014:
https://mygolfspy.com/study-overall-golfer-performance-by-handicap/

I am fairly confident from 150 and in and I will hit around 50% of the time. I'm a 5. According to Grint I hit 46.1% of GIR

Here are some stats across the dozen or so rounds I played in 2018, before an MCL torn on dirt bike in mid August ended my season early. I’m a 6 cap:

From 2016 (above)
From 2014:
This makes more sense. Really why I need to track my shots. Match what I think of my game to reality.

From 2016 (above)
[FONT=&]
[/FONT]
From 2014:

Never used something like this before. I was thinking of a 150 under "normal circumstances" but this includes from all shots on the golf course. From rough, under a tree or from a fairway bunker would lower the stats for any period of time.

But I mean the question was from 150 yards out. I mean we could filter that to say from the fairway.

Last year was the first time I bothered to track any stats on my game other than plain score. I've found it super interesting across all areas of the game to compare my stats to the aggregate Grint stats in the above articles.

I now have data driven goals for this season and those are to increase FIR% and GIR% to firmly within the 0-5 bracket, taking my handicap below 5 with it. My putting and scrambling numbers are already there. I made great inroads on the FIR% and somewhat GIR% during the last 4 weeks of my season last year, was close to target. I need to keep up the FIR% through smart golf and sound swing, and polish average GIR from 7 per round to 9. No small amount of work but I'm on it.

I hand enter scores in Grint post round and its a bit of work but the post round review and thought processing is good for strategy, time well spent. I'm pondering other apps like Arrcos or ____ to add to the repertoire.

from 150, i make the green 100% of the time. it might take me a few shots though

I'm a 15 handicap, I'd hit about a 8-9 iron and probably hit it around 40% of the time.

Back