In between clubs, what's your play?

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
We'll use middle of green pin as example from 155-160 yards depending on your club gapping. Do you try to hit normal club hard or club up and choke down/adjust swing length/ play a cut to take yardage off, etc. Most effective for me and I use that term loosely is I'll take longer club and fade one in. If I try to hit something hard things can get out of sorts. How do you adjust when in between clubs THP?

I try to go with the full shot at most times, so I would pick the lower club and try to put a little extra in it.

I've found that taking the longer club and choking down an inch or so will allow me to hit the distance I want, without changing anything else.

I try to hit my normal club a little harder. For me I see better results hitting something harder rather than taking an extra club and trying to take some off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I favor the "partial" shot. I find I have better control with a smooth longer club in most situations, but wind, slopes, shot shapes, all come into it. I.e. if it is a draw or downwind I'm more likely to crank up the shorter club.

I'm not very good at hitting percentages of a club so I say club down and crush it

Middle of the green from 155, that’s an easy 7i without having to feel like I need to jump on one.

I’ve definitely faced this predicament quite a bit and more often than not, when I pick the longer club/easier swing, I get the better result.

Swinging harder or maxing out a club leads to more chunky, thin, or poor shots. Not always but it’s the lower percentage play for me.

Take out the longer club, choke down and swing easy. Swinging harder never works out for me. If I could hit a longer shot with consistency then it would just be my standard yardage. Haha

Club up and take a bit off of it. Easier than over swinging on a lesser club.

What's the carry to the front? Carry to back? Is their a hazard? Bunkers? How is the green slopped? Uphill? Any wind? The yardage to the middle of the green is only one part of the story.

In general, I will take more club and try to do something with that. Very rarely am I ever trying to add a little extra to anything.

I usually take more club and grip down. I'm not always smart enough to do that.

I choke up when in between clubs. Mentally it is just easier for me.

Take more club and swing smooth and easy. The likelihood of me catching it flush and flying the green is very slim. And if I do I’m happy I actually made solid contact.

Depend on what is a worse miss, long/left vs short/right.

I know it's in the middle of the green but there still a better place on the green to miss.

If long and left is more trouble then I will go with the shorter club swung hard

If short and right is the bad play then I will go with the longer club swung softer.

What/where is the miss?

Far too often I take the shorter club and try and swing harder when I should club up.

What/where is the miss?

This has become a HUGE part of my golf. Safer long or short?

I also fade it in to take the chance of "puring" it long out of it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

Depends on how I'm hitting that day but I normally club up and take a little off of it. I find I am more accurate and consistent clubbing up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The Brooks Koepka method! If the trouble is long, hit the short club. If the trouble is short, hit the long club. Super simple!

In between clubs I'm going to club up 95% of the time and choke down a bit to take a few yards off. I never used to be that way but probably changed in the last 2-3 years.

Choke down on the longer club these days. I’ve kind of lost the art of 3 yardages with one club. Fade distance, straight, and draw distance.

I choke down on a longer club and not try and do anything stupid.

held off follow through/knock down, or choke down on the club itself. In my experience, nothing ever good happens from trying to hit a club harder than normal.

It depends. I tend to do both with no rhyme or reason. Today I took less club and tried to nuke them, which usually left me longer putts. I should've taken more club and choked down.

At other times I took more club and did 3/4 shots with good success.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Back