The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a quick range session and a little putting practice in at lunch today.
The irons are getting more consistent.
I still need to straighten out the pulls/hooks with the fairways.
Also need to stop over reading the break on putts.

Had a quick 45 minute session at the range to continue working on the stuff from my last session. Ball striking is getting back to what I'm more used to from last year. Still have a tendency to get to quick in the transition. Hit 10 balls to a 60 yd target to work on making sure I turn thru the shot.

Thanks to the rain, hit up Top Golf for an hour before heading in to work. It had been several months since I had swung the sticks, so it was nice to get going again. For the first time in a quite a while, the irons seems to do what I wanted for the most part. First time to hit a hybrid, and really liked it. Need to get me one soon. :)

I had a meeting end early today and still had my clubs in the car from my lesson so I hit a local covered range since it was drizzling out (BTW @TeedUpThoughts the range in Warren is looking pretty good!). I wanted to see if I was still retaining the swing thoughts/drills I got yesterday. Thankfully, for the most part I was. I hit some stinkers, and my driver is still all over the place. Although, it's going a lot further before it veers all over the place!

I was hitting off of mats, and my impact sounded different than it normally does. After half a bucket, I realized that it sounded different because I was making ball first contact on nearly every shot. No more fat shot thuds into the mat before sliding into the ball. It was awesome! Things are still very much a work in progress though, it's almost a good thing that I can't get out to the course for another few weeks at the very least so I'll have more time at the range to work on ingraining things.

I had a meeting end early today and still had my clubs in the car from my lesson so I hit a local covered range since it was drizzling out (BTW @TeedUpThoughts the range in Warren is looking pretty good!). I wanted to see if I was still retaining the swing thoughts/drills I got yesterday. Thankfully, for the most part I was. I hit some stinkers, and my driver is still all over the place. Although, it's going a lot further before it veers all over the place!

I was hitting off of mats, and my impact sounded different than it normally does. After half a bucket, I realized that it sounded different because I was making ball first contact on nearly every shot. No more fat shot thuds into the mat before sliding into the ball. It was awesome! Things are still very much a work in progress though, it's almost a good thing that I can't get out to the course for another few weeks at the very least so I'll have more time at the range to work on ingraining things.

Sounds like things are progressing nicely. They've put some money into that place, I'm curious to see how it will be in the actual spring when the owner is back from FL. He said they are going to start having demo days and trackman fittings.

Fantastic practice session tonight. Rediscovered (at least for now) my iron game by just slowing everything down and focusing on the bare basics. Continued to see success with the woods and hybrids.
I am seeing some funny distance gaps between irons so I think it's high time I got them re-checked for loft and lie.

Guys I need a little help. I went to the range two days ago. First time I made a swing in a month and a half (a lifetime for me). I was trying to stay in balance throughout the large bucket, but I was still hitting it off the heel throughout the bag. The only club that I enjoyed good contact and distance on was the driver.

I used to be very consistent with my irons but this last session was very, very bad. Any drills to try to stop hitting it off the heel? There was a complete lack of compression and the ball flight was weak and drifting right. I think also the face was slightly open, but that is something I can probably work out on my own. My big concern is making solid contact first and foremost.

I'm going to hit a small bucket later and have a 12:00 tee time at a tough (for me at least) course playing with a couple of buddies who are longer than me. I usually make up the difference by making good contact.

Guys I need a little help. I went to the range two days ago. First time I made a swing in a month and a half (a lifetime for me). I was trying to stay in balance throughout the large bucket, but I was still hitting it off the heel throughout the bag. The only club that I enjoyed good contact and distance on was the driver.

I used to be very consistent with my irons but this last session was very, very bad. Any drills to try to stop hitting it off the heel? There was a complete lack of compression and the ball flight was weak and drifting right. I think also the face was slightly open, but that is something I can probably work out on my own. My big concern is making solid contact first and foremost.

I'm going to hit a small bucket later and have a 12:00 tee time at a tough (for me at least) course playing with a couple of buddies who are longer than me. I usually make up the difference by making good contact.
Forget about the last range session. See how it feels today. Check the basics, posture, grip, distance from the ball. But swing with a clear mind.

It's golf. My first sessions and round after a winter layoff were terrible. Just try to relax and forget this session and go at it again. There are several reasons that cause hitting off the heel. If it happens in your next range session or on the corse get a video and have Freddie take a look.

Thanks emart & T2GRN! I think that's what I needed to read... I don't like going in with a ton of swing thoughts, so just to get it out of my system and relax is exactly what I need to do. Enjoy your Friday rounds gentlemen.

Back to course today to practice the stronger grip in my left hand on short putts. Hope it works like the lesson I had earlier in the week!

Went out today for a practice round. Driver was still good, and gained a bit of distance (maybe due to the weather, maybe due to better ball striking). Went 4/6 FIR (one of the wetter par 4s was closed in anticipation of an afternoon tourney today). Putting was spot on. No three putts, had four one putts, none of which were inside of 6 feet so that was nice. Not sure if switching from the NC GM2 Exchange to a Nike Method Core 3i had anything to do with it, but I think I'm off the CB train for now. 8i and shorter was what I could call "acceptable". Not overly enthused because my accuracy still sucks, but had a decent flight. My hybrids ... poor. Very, very poor. Topped almost every shot with them today (except for my second shot on the par 5 8th, and then the par 3 9th where I stuck my 6i 2 feet from the green with a dead straight tee shot). Overall, I was on pace to shoot a 46-48 (depending on if I par'd or double'd that one hole I skipped).

My lesson is on Tuesday, and it can't come soon enough. I think I'm good on driving at the moment (but I'd love to gain a bit more distance), and putting is alright as well. I can use some work on short game, but I may rely on my prior lesson notes and work that way for now ... so I'm going to go to him and ask him to spend time with me on iron/hybrid striking. I either top it, or hit way way behind. Not sure where my swing is breaking down (am I swaying again?) so I'm going to focus on that. I need to be able to capitalize on my good drives with a great second shot, and right now I'm not doing that and it's showing in my scores.

Just had first range session of the year and it was UGLY. I have never hit so many off the hosel in my life! Yikes.

Got out for a little range time today.
Hit PW and 7i primarily. Still working on the new swing thoughts, getting my chest to the target after my arms get thru the ball. It is coming along with the shorter irons, the mid and longer irons still have some work to do. Lots of hozel rockets, due to standing too close to the ball.
62* Callaway PM grind got a bit of a work out. Man, this wedge can put some spin on the ball!! Lots of two hop and stop shots!!
The a few 3/4 swings (prob 50-60 yds), with good results. I cannot wait to get this club into the bunker!!
Finished up with a few 56* chip shots.

Had a great practice session today. Over an hour on the range and an hour around the practice green. Really tried to concentrate on what I wanted out of each shot. Short and long irons were very crisp and generally on target. Holed out several chips. Felt really good out there.

Great day striking the ball, can't wait for tomorrow!

Got out yesterday for a bit after work and went to the putting green first for about 30 minutes and worked on short putts and lag putting. Went to the range afterwards and worked on getting off the tee with the Mini and driver and full swings with the irons. Finished up my session with a good amount of time with my wedges. Focused on controlled swings with the wedges and was happy with the results.

Had some batting cage time booked for my son today, afterwards we went to a range I used to go to with my dad when I was his age. Apparently they haven't changed out their balls since then, but it was good to just focus on solid contact. Didn't hit driver at all, just worked my way up and down the irons. Still hitting a few stinkers every now and again, but they're worm burners that go straight and not weak fades. I have to work on my weight shift too, along with my arms not tensing up it's still my big issue that robs me of distance.

Had a good time watching a guy a few stations away just hit beautiful iron shots, smacking his 9i blade as far as I was hitting my 6i with far better trajectory. Envious. So, so envious.

Got to get back to the range this week. Yesterday show some good signs, but also showed some areas that need some attention in the swing.

First two times this year at the range this weekend. Been swinging a club, indoors, 300 swings a week this winter. Felt pretty good.

I'm a lefty and was hitting left with all clubs. Decided to open the club face, slightly. Really straightened it out.

Can't wait to get on grass, even it it isn't growing yet

Played with T2GRN and EMART on Saturday and got caught up trying to hit the ball as hard and far as they do. That isn't going to happen. Went back Sunday to hit some balls and get my normal swing back. It seemed to work after a while. I'm too old to try that but I did. It wasn't pretty by the way!!!

Rain today so I will be heading to the range to work on a few things. Want to be more consistent with my iron game.

Played with T2GRN and EMART on Saturday and got caught up trying to hit the ball as hard and far as they do. That isn't going to happen. Went back Sunday to hit some balls and get my normal swing back. It seemed to work after a while. I'm too old to try that but I did. It wasn't pretty by the way!!!

I wondered if that was happening. Hence why I asked if you were going after it on a couple tee balls

I wondered if that was happening. Hence why I asked if you were going after it on a couple tee balls

Yeah, I should know better but you two made me feel bad.........that SuperWallmart that you were building between your ball and mine was discouraging!! It's all good, I typically don't make the same mistake twice except for golf!!

Yeah, I should know better but you two made me feel bad.........that SuperWallmart that you were building between your ball and mine was discouraging!! It's all good, I typically don't make the same mistake twice except for golf!!

Ok, maybe there was a gap between our tee balls, however that gap was not there on the score card. Which is where it counts. Play your game dude. Play your game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back