Wolf Creek Mesquite round replay plus review

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was limited to only 1 round during my Vegas vacation due to weather/time restraints. But wow what a round. I've not played a bunch of nice courses (live in rural Canada) but compared to Highland Links, Muskoka Bay, Glen Abbey, and Kapalua Plantation just wow. Take away the constant view of frolicking whales at Plantation and Wolf Creek in Mesquite blew them all away. Not even close. I didn't have cell service to live update the round (2 weeks ago now) but I did make some notes and took copious pictures. So here goes! (Idk how many pictures I can put per post. Gonna try in 6 hole increments and see how it goes.

D2tUVotXcAAGYkG

So so I had planned on being at the course a solid hour early so that I could hit balls, putt, and get into it. I hadn’t played since October besides a bit of chipping and putting in my basement. Instead, we got distracted hiking in the Valley of Fire on our way. If ever return to Vegas (wasn’t a fan of the strip at all...neither wife nor I gamble, shop, smoke pot or are day drunks) we’ll spend a few days in Mesquite so can spend full days hiking the area. Spectacular. Then spend a few days near the zgrand Canyon so can hike right into it. so, I drove up, went in to pay and cart was ready for me to tee off on 1st tee with my group, who had already played once that day. We’re not good partners unfortunately. Talked endlessly while shooting, and always in a hurry to go forward despite always waiting. Ah well.

hole 1: 1 practice swing and a low draw just into the native area. Pulled it out (not allowed to hit from native areas) and hit a beautiful draw 8i around a tree to the fairway. Skulled my pitch left (a theme throughout the day), then hit a good downhill chip. But missed the 3 footer. Broke a ton late.

D2tT7EMWoAEqAua

Hole 2: took the guys’ advice that the visible fairway was very close and not the line. Glad I did. Hit a great drive right over the small bush on the top of the foreground hill. Baby draw, and was centre of the fairway. Hit my iron just on the front. Unfortunately a back pin. Chunked my 65 footer badly. Then lipped out my 35 footer for par.

D2tT77PWwAAN_eV
D2tT81bXcAA2YCS

Hole 3: way uphill. Chucked my iron shot (again, a theme for the day...my usual spring issue). I was about 30 yards short and 20ft below the green. Instead of waiting for me the guys in my group literally stood on the green next to the pin and waved me up. So I predictably shanked the next 2 shots, then made them putt out. Then chipped on with a nice shot that almost stopped at the hole, then rolled off the green and 20 yards off the green. I picked up.

D2tT98iWsAA7CUC

Hole 4: (note, lit a nice Cuban after my annoyance with last hole) hit my 3w to the left edge of the corner bunker. Good shot so wasn’t mad. Very windy this day and it pushed me a lot. Then somehow hit my gap wedge cleanly and it went way over the green up the hill. Hit a beautiful flop shot that landed in the rough, trickled barely on, then rolled 25ft by lol. Great putt but didn’t break even one inch so missed.

D2tT_IlXQAE3SXl
D2tT__cXcAAVz8t

5th hole: had no idea where to aim and guys no help. Hit a great drive but too far left. Hit a mulligan to the fairway (ftr if could hit from desert I would have been fine with 1st). Chunked my 2nd and 3rd. Left with a 60 footer for “birdie” on the par 5. Missed just short. Easy “par”.

D2tUA7OWkAEJKug

6th hole: (note, got a “stone” IPA at the bar here. Was good but not great. I’m lucky in that my local microbrewery makes an amazing ipa - Astrolabe by Whitewater Brewery) hit a great drive that went over the creek somehow. Beauty. Pulled my approach left (couldn’t see the green so could have been bad aim) into bunker. Hit out to 12ft which was good landing on downslope. Hit hard through the break but made 6ft bogey coming back. Note in picture the green is off the edge of the picture right.

D2tUB5NW0AAXFGb

Wolf Creek Mesquite round replay plus review

I love that course, I need to go back.

Meet you there @tenputt ?

Played a few years back...have never golfed anywhere with these kind of views before it was unreal.
Haven't made it back since in my other Vegas trips but maybe someday

7th hole: missed just right of fairway. Hit approach to very front edge of green. Hit long putt to 4ft, then missed the 4 footer :(. 3 putt bogey sucked. On 4ft putt ball moved at least 6 inches in the last 6 inches.

D2tUEYZWsAA2-wD

8th hole: been hitting my irons straight or chunky so aimed at the pin. And my normal baby draw reared it’s head and I put a ball in the water, then over on the desert hill. Easy up and down for 6.

D2tUFXhXgAE4G2U

9th: beauty low draw driver into the wind. Skulled my 50 yard pitch to back edge of green (front pin). 3 putts way downhill from 65ft.

D2tUGR4WkAEvQWL

Got a 60 Minute IPA at turn. Better than the earlier one, but nowhere near Astrolabe from home.

10:

Thinned my driver badly, but hit a good approach with my 64* wedge to 8ft but missed putt short.

D2tUHejW0AEcJAf

11th: like every par 3 this day, couldn’t hit an iron to save my life. Hit it dead straight where I aimed at right edge, then wind pushed into the desert hills. Dropped randomly, chipped downhill to 20ft and putt left handed for fun (putter is a cylinder on a stick and I’m ambidextrous). Just lipped out.

D2tUIcfW0AAjJYN

12th: great drive with a baby draw to the centre of the fairway. But......wrong line. Bounced down the hill and no rough to keep it out of the water. Guys drove right up to the green and I chunked another into the water. Then hit a nice 8i layup, spun a 60* backwards to 4ft and missed that putt just barely high as it didn’t turn at all.

D2tUJigX0AAxmlQ

D2tUKaKXgAA-aR4

A courses I really want to play and need to make happen.

13th: 3w into a heavy wind somehow went through the fairway. Chunked out of the bunker. Group again just yelling and driving around and paying me no attention. Shanked one and almost hit them lol. Oddly, the guys left after this hole so they could go back to their hotel for drinks. They really hadn’t been into the golf after the turn. Made me happy :). Chipped to 8ft but missed the putt as it again didn’t break at all.

D2tUL2uXgAAdhw7

14th: hit my driver great, which landed just right of the fairway but got a good bounce into the fairway. Came up short of green into a ridiculously deep bunker. Good shot out but bad pin position and I rolled out to 20ft. Missed putt just short.

D2tUM6ZXgAEZryh

15th: FINALLY HIT A GOOD IRON SHOT ON A PAR 3! just a tad long and rolled into the fringe. Hit a nice chip to tap in range.

D2tUNutXgAEni4k

16th: hit a bizarrely good 3 wood again. Hit hard and rolled all the way downhill and down wind into the green side bunker. Long bunker shot barely came up short and rolled back in. 2nd bunker shot went to 6ft. Missed the putt. Again, didn’t break for me.

D2tUO46WkAEvhO9

17th: joined with a family 6some (2 had already given up for the day though) so I could ensure I finish before dark. Which I did by about 10 minutes so probably needn’t have bothered. Another beauty 3w almost went through the fairway into the water. Chunked badly to fw bunker. Hit beauty PW to green. Long big swinger just barely missed. Tap in.

D2tUQJzXgAE6cSt

18th: was tired and hurrying and just chunked my way up the hole. Eventually finished with a great 50myard pitch and made the tap in putt.

D2tUR6iWsAANdRO

D2tUSzhX4AAhwlO

D2tUWd9WsAAh-_r

Great review and great pics oiler. Last time I played out there I did not score well. You could have taken my average score, added 20, and still be 10 strokes off my score.

Great review. What was the cost ?

Great review. What was the cost ?

145 for the first twilight round, which barely finished. 5 hour round is considered time par. Next time I’d pay the full price (200ish) in the morning, then pay the $50 for the replay.

Played a few years back...have never golfed anywhere with these kind of views before it was unreal.
Haven't made it back since in my other Vegas trips but maybe someday

Idk it looks great and I'm sure its a course where pics don't do it justice but I did love having the course on the strip/an uber away last year.

13th: 3w into a heavy wind somehow went through the fairway. Chunked out of the bunker. Group again just yelling and driving around and paying me no attention. Shanked one and almost hit them lol. Oddly, the guys left after this hole so they could go back to their hotel for drinks. They really hadn’t been into the golf after the turn. Made me happy :). Chipped to 8ft but missed the putt as it again didn’t break at all.

D2tUL2uXgAAdhw7

14th: hit my driver great, which landed just right of the fairway but got a good bounce into the fairway. Came up short of green into a ridiculously deep bunker. Good shot out but bad pin position and I rolled out to 20ft. Missed putt just short.

D2tUM6ZXgAEZryh

15th: FINALLY HIT A GOOD IRON SHOT ON A PAR 3! just a tad long and rolled into the fringe. Hit a nice chip to tap in range.

D2tUNutXgAEni4k

16th: hit a bizarrely good 3 wood again. Hit hard and rolled all the way downhill and down wind into the green side bunker. Long bunker shot barely came up short and rolled back in. 2nd bunker shot went to 6ft. Missed the putt. Again, didn’t break for me.

D2tUO46WkAEvhO9

17th: joined with a family 6some (2 had already given up for the day though) so I could ensure I finish before dark. Which I did by about 10 minutes so probably needn’t have bothered. Another beauty 3w almost went through the fairway into the water. Chunked badly to fw bunker. Hit beauty PW to green. Long big swinger just barely missed. Tap in.

D2tUQJzXgAE6cSt

18th: was tired and hurrying and just chunked my way up the hole. Eventually finished with a great 50myard pitch and made the tap in putt.

D2tUR6iWsAANdRO

D2tUSzhX4AAhwlO

D2tUWd9WsAAh-_r

Great recap and great pictures.... course looks amazing!

Great review and great pics oiler. Last time I played out there I did not score well. You could have taken my average score, added 20, and still be 10 strokes off my score.

Thanks! And I agree. I didn’t play badly but without playing it a few times in quick succession I would never dream of expecting to hit any score that would count for my cap. I did get in trouble a few times because I played the suggested forward “Masters” tees. My home course is 6800 yards and distance has never been an issue outside so wanted to play longer. If go back I will.

Idk it looks great and I'm sure its a course where pics don't do it justice but I did love having the course on the strip/an uber away last year.

I like to think the pictures here are rather nice ;), but I do agree they still don’t do it justice. Absolutely amazing.

What a beautiful track.

Cool write-up! I need to get up there.

Cool write-up! I need to get up there.

Can’t imagine a better track without playing a historic course. Interesting holes, great greens, well kept (some tee boxes a little rough but it was end of winter season). If I wanted to be extremely anal I would say being closer to the snow capped mountains would have been awesome. But I mean... that’s being insanely picky just for the sake of trying to find something to improve.

Man that course looks so awesome. I don't care if I drive out there myself... I WILL play Wolf Creek this year.

Nice review and photos. Thanks for sharing. I have played it a couple of times now. I broke 80 the first time, which is when I took this photo. It was a perfectly calm day. The second time, it ate my lunch. Very unique course for sure.

Attachments

• 5A543E22-EF52-47F1-A8A7-ABE3E1127B48.jpeg
    5A543E22-EF52-47F1-A8A7-ABE3E1127B48.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 0
Man that course looks so awesome. I don't care if I drive out there myself... I WILL play Wolf Creek this year.

If I lived close enough that I could drive there, play, and be home at a reasonable time I would play once a year for sure.

If I lived close enough that I could drive there, play, and be home at a reasonable time I would play once a year for sure.
It's about a 4 1/2- 5 hour drive for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The views and course look fantastic. Would love to play there some day. Thanks for sharing!

Back