Which iron causes you to get anxious?

4I for sure. Sometimes 5I, which I'll rotate a hybrid in for depending on how I'm feeling. Trying to stick with the 5I in the bag though. I miss being able to hit 4I off the tee but feel like my current 4H gives me a good chance for a solid shot.

Great call. Fairway wood off the deck is definitely the anxiety club.

Ugh. I can hit a 5W off the deck with minimal trepidation, but man hand me a 3W and I'm praying I don't top the crap out of the ball.

I am good thru 5 but the 4 is behaving badly and the 3 is being a dick. I am pondering a 5h to replace the 3i.

I am good thru 5 but the 4 is behaving badly and the 3 is being a dick. I am pondering a 5h to replace the 3i.
5h would likely be 25* of loft or more. Unless you have a really old set the I would assume a 3 or 4 hybrid would be a better replacement for the 3 iron for gapping.

When I'm away from golf for a while, 5-iron will get rusty on me and take a bit to iron out. But once sorted, it's a club I'll look for any excuse to use, off the tee especially.

But in general, my iron swing is last to come around so the symptoms are just worst with the one that has the lowest loft.

Like with the majority, my 5i has me thinking all of the time. My 6i has no issue or my hybrid, but I get a 5i in m hand it's like me asking myself OK what do I do next!

Anything above 9 iron currently. Getting that sorted though.

9 iron. I can hit even 4 iron pretty decently, but 9 just feels so wrong in so many ways. Too short for me to get proper stance, very numb regarding weight of the head, heavy. I just does not feel fluid when swinging.

5 iron, so I pulled it for a 25* hybrid. I also just bought a Callaway X Forged UT 30* to replace my set 6 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully, I am in that happy place where I don't hesitate to pull any club and look forward to executing with any club in the bag. Whew! Took many years to get there.

Usually, the 3 iron. Definitely a 50/50 club for me!

3 wood off the deck is my nemesis. I have no anxiety with any iron. (but don't always hit it long enough) Can't hit a hybrid accurately at all. Don't even carry one any more.

Its funny how different everyone is. People talk about having confidence with hybrids or fairways off the deck. That's incomprehensible to me. I might as well take a penalty shot before I even swing at a ball on the turf with a wood shaped club. An iron? Pffft, easy peasy.

For me it's whatever iron happens to be the longest one in my bag. For some reason I'm a mental midget that way and my brain/body refuses to swing the 5i the same as the 7i.

I don’t know what’s been going on lately, but when I’ve got my 9i or PW in hand things can get wonky...long and mid irons and wedges, great! It’s so weird! I went out to my net in the backyard this evening and hit like 50 balls with my PW and it felt much better. Hopefully my next round is much better with those scoring clubs.

Longest iron for sure, but 4 and 5 and pretty equally scary for me .. but then there's that once in a while iron caught totally flush and it takes off making me keep them on the bag again

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 wood off the fairway. But that’s not an iron. Ha ha.

Last edited:
56 out of the sand. Then again, anything out of the sand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irons dont bother me, its the woods i eff up with and get all screwy.

for sure some type of wedge when I am forced to hit a high trajectory shot but at less then full swing. Gets worse if I'm 60 yards out on a long par 5 laying 2 and thinking I need to get it close to give myself a birdie look

I used to love my 5 iron but now can't hit it and forget about the 6i. They are both out of the bag with Rogue Hybrids replacing them and I am a much happier golfer.

Its actually really stupid for me. I have 2 sets I play, one is a 5-PW and the other is a 3-PW. If I am going to hit one pure, its most likely to be the 5i with either set for some strange reason. That is followed by the 7i-PW with some really pure strikes in there. But for some stupid reason, I can not hit a 6i to save my life. Don't know what it is because when I first started playing I hit a 6i really well. I think its just some bad shots have led to 0 confidence with it and now its just in my head. Kinda dumb though because I am more likely to hit a great show with a 3i then I am a 6i.

Iron off the tee, whenever I try to play it safe it usually messes with my head.

I wouldn't say that I get anxious when I swing it, but it is always in the back of my head the struggle with ball flight I have with my 7i as of late. Which, usually when I go to swing it and try to play for the strong left bias, it goes straight.

Now, nobody get all ruffled by my next comment, it isn't meant as anything more than an observation.

I find the posts on this thread kind of shocking. In the sense that, as a high-capper, I wouldn't think a single digit player would be anything but completely comfortable with pretty much any of their sticks. Now, I know we're all humans, and can feel antsy about anything. It still is a bit of a revelation for me to hear.

Now, nobody get all ruffled by my next comment, it isn't meant as anything more than an observation.

I find the posts on this thread kind of shocking. In the sense that, as a high-capper, I wouldn't think a single digit player would be anything but completely comfortable with pretty much any of their sticks. Now, I know we're all humans, and can feel antsy about anything. It still is a bit of a revelation for me to hear.
I think the one thing that really shocked me to read was to read how much Jason Day really struggles with his 3 wood. It's like you are one of the best players in the world and to hear him talk about his uncomfortablility with it really made me appreciate this game we play. At every level of the game we have strengths and weaknesses.

Back