Which iron causes you to get anxious?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Had this conversation with some of the fellas last weekend, and I have talked about it on the forum here and there. My answer seems to change based on the year and the iron set itself. I used to love to hit a 4 iron, back during my HS playing days, it was my choice off the tee, and that lasted until hybrids really became more evolved. Once that happened, the 4 iron became a club that would get me nervous, I'd swing faster, try to lift it, and we all know what that result ends up as. Maybe 5 years ago, that feeling carried over to the 5 iron, and nowadays it's the 6 iron. With the exception of the Bridgestone JGR HF1 irons, I get a 5 or 6 iron in hand and I might as well just get ready for another shot nowhere near the green. Not only do I shy away from it, I end up trying to hit a club longer and taking some off of it, even when I know the 6 iron is the correct club for that situation.

Now I know not everyone is a headcase like me, and some probably don't get this feeling at all. But if you do, which iron in your bag causes you to get anxious? Hell, it might not even be an iron, but a club in general. One in which you might end up hitting something extra or less because you get the feeling the result is not going to be a good one.

5 iron although my F9 5i is really consistent and long so far.

• Staff
5 iron although my F9 5i is really consistent and long so far.

I took some swings with that last weekend and was thinking "yeah I could play that." But my range feelings and on course feelings don't aways jive with each other.

Currently....all of them

Which ever one I have to hit out of a bunker with....

Used to be the 5i for me, but have been hitting it well on the range lately. Didn't get a yardage last time I played that would have called for the 5i, but curious to see how it performs the next time I pull it.

It’s the 5 iron for me. When I originally started playing many years ago my experienced golf buddies encouraged me to rely on the 5 iron when I was learning. And it became my most reliable iron as a result. Now that I am back to playing again I still expect to hit it well but it is a bit erratic. So standing over the ball with my 5 iron tends to make me anxious, because I have no idea how I will hit the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the situation.

The 4 iron I have is pretty flat faced so I was more comfortable with the larger 5 wood head.

My 5 iron I feel pretty comfortable with off the tee and okayish off the fairway.

My 6 iron I like a lot but I probably wont attack a pin from the rough with it. But I do like it as my play weird shots club.

It is the 5 iron for me. I can hit the 4 iron, which is a U85 and very forgiving, and the 6 iron well. I hit a lot of weak toe strikes with the 5. Usually straight, but weak.

Definitely used to be the 5iron. But lately it's been fine. It was always an enigma with some flushed shots 185 out but also some 20 yard toppers.

Just thinking to swing it like a 9iron has helped a lot.

5 iron is the one that gives me pause, it is a day to day basis with that iron

6 iron, even though its not my longest iron. I've had a lot of success with the 5, but I can't say the same about the 6, so I think I'm just lacking confidence at this point.

6 iron, even though its not my longest iron. I've had a lot of success with the 5, but I can't say the same about the 6, so I think I'm just lacking confidence at this point.

we just became best friends.

I rarely hit my 4 iron off the deck, but I love it off the tee when I only need 200 or so. So I'll say my 5 iron, mostly because that's about the club and distance where I'm thinking I want to get it squarely on the green.

yes?

5i gives me fits off the deck. and right now i'm kinda scared of my aw. just cannot get comfortable over the ball, and make really bad swings.

I'm in the same boat where I start having "doubts" when the six comes out of the bag. As I've aged its become worse. I did have some success with my Mizzy HMP 6 iron early on a whim I picked one of these up; https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/clubs/archive/2016-models/jgr-hybrid-forged.
The 7 iron specs match up perfectly with the HMP's 6 iron. These are almost like cheating. Early results have been promising.

For me it’s middle of the set 7 iron for sure and then 6 or 8 iron. I know what long and short irons will do for me but I am still new with gauging distance with the middle irons. I have a habit of just hitting a 4i or 5w half swing because I’m confident that it will cover the distance needed that most would use a 6-8 iron. Once I’m close enough to the pin I always grab my 9i and PW. Those are laser beams for me. Other wedges are for green side chipping or bunker shots.

Not really an iron but I hate my friggin wedges. No confidence at all. Hopefully my upcoming fitting remedies that.

I'm the same way with the 4i, I used to love hitting it, and it was really a weapon for me. Now I only hit it if I'm really needing a few more yards than my 5i will provide, and I am not worried about losing a stray shot.

5 iron, and this is why in my new set I went with 5 hybrid. I haven't gamed them yet, so hopefully this issue is rectified.

4I, it has a different shaft than the rest of my clubs and I just don't feel like I'm going to hit it solid. I should really just pull it out and get a 4H or something.

Unfortunately for me, my hesitation with vary based on my round. I was so inconsistent last season that I've done a complete overhaul of my swing (with lessons). However, sometimes I feel uncomfortable just addressing a putt. Usually, I have the most issue with confidence in my long irons.

-Bishop

Does a 60* wedge count?

Used to be 5i

After this weekend 8i or set GW

Back