Do you answer your phone when playing?

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Reaction score
Did a search and didn't see a topic for this and JB's post got me thinking about it. Do you answer your phone when on the course? I know a lot of guys that don't and I know some that do.

For me it is a must because of the business I am in. If I don't take the call, there is a good chance that before I finish my round and return the call they have already called another agent and I lose business. I try to make the conversations short but there are times I can be on the phone for an hour or more. Sometimes I am able to put it on speaker and continue my round but sometimes I am not. Now I will say I would not make any playing partners stop and wait on me for an hour that would be ridiculous but I play alone quite frequently because of my schedule flexibility.

I guess the second part of the question is if you answer your phone, do you feel like it sometimes impacts your play?

I definitely see it happen at times. Sometimes its the nature of the call that just causes me so much irritation that I lose focus and do stupid things when I try and play. Sometimes its just a matter of having to stop long enough that I lose my rhythm and have to work to get it back.

Unless it’s an emergency, no, I would not.

Only if it's my mother or my wife or my daughter's school. Anyone else, then it's probably not an emergency.

I do if its my wife since that usually means its an emergency.

Outside of that, nope going to voicemail

Only if I know it is an emergency. My wife knows not to call, if it's my mom I will as she is quite elderly.

Until I got arccos my phone was in my bag. If its important they'll leave a message and I might check it at the turn.

Now with it in my pocket, I do check my messages but try to avoid phone calls.

Nope really don't pull out my phone unless my rangefinder battery is dead and I have to use phone gps. Unless its a THP event and then all bets are off and phone is out and used like crazy. Its distracting and the golf course is where I go to get away from the phone.

Depends who it is, and once I know who it is I usually know if it needs to be answered or not.

Nope. My phones stays on mute 99.9% of the time so wouldn't even know if somebody was calling me.

Usually yes. I have a somewhat flexible work schedule, so that means every now and then getting to play during the week but also means having to attend urgent matters while on the course.

Some calls will take my mind off the game, but I’ve been getting better about not letting it affect me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on whose calling. But usually, yes. I've been pulled off of the course because of work related emergencies. It is what it is.

NOPE! Absolutely not, unless I know it's an emergency. It's always on silent anyway. I will look at it periodically & Mrs Nut knows to text me first.

And incidentally, I can't stand people that are on the phone that are in my group. A few seconds to say I'll call you back ... fine. But a few minutes or even a few holes ... let me play ahead because it's annoying and very distracting. Call me old school, whatever. But we survived doing "business" long before there were cell phones. So for people to say that the "need" to take this call, I myself call BS. You just choose to out of convenience.

I have to for business. One of the perks of what I do is flexibility, but I have to answer questions from customers or service techs all the time. I play alone a lot so it doesn’t interfere with others unless I am near a tee or green. I always take that into account and will call back if I would be disruptive.

Nope. My phones stays on mute 99.9% of the time so wouldn't even know if somebody was calling me.

Couldn't agree more with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it’s during the week then yes because it’s probably work and I have to. Sometimes if it’s my wife I’ll answer but it never fails, whenever that call finishes, I screw up the exact next full swing shot. I mean everytime. No matter what

Only so I can look like I’m important like LightningBolt44

NOPE! Absolutely not, unless I know it's an emergency. It's always on silent anyway. I will look at it periodically & Mrs Nut knows to text me first.

And incidentally, I can't stand people that are on the phone that are in my group. A few seconds to say I'll call you back ... fine. But a few minutes or even a few holes ... let me play ahead because it's annoying and very distracting. Call me old school, whatever. But we survived doing "business" long before there were cell phones. So for people to say that the "need" to take this call, I myself call BS. You just choose to out of convenience.

Brilliant answer. Most of what people consider an "emergency" is really just people not wanting to think for themselves and make decisions. I have always contended that cell phones have contributed to the dumbing down of the population.

I find it hard to hear the phone... since it's in the car. So it's a "no"

Each person's circumstance is different. I don't answer my phone, it is on mute or I don't even take it with me on the course. I joke with my partners that it is a 2 stroke penalty to answer your phone.

I answer for my wife and children and try to get off the phone as quickly as possible. I am a data guy at work, so I am done when I go home at night, thus there is no reason for work to call. If you're in sales though you have to answer the phone. It is what it is. I know people get frustrated when someone is on the phone in their group, but we all have to make money to take care of our family and afford this game if that means taking phone calls on the course from time to time so be it.

I don't but my family and parents usually know when I am golfing so they know that it's possible I won't get the message right away if I'm on the green or at my ball. I check periodically so if I see 3 missed calls or a slew of texts I know something is up. Knock on wood, I haven't had the situation come up yet.

Really depends on who's calling, I normally don't get work calls on my personal phone but if I do need to answer that, otherwise as long as the wife knows I'm playing and she's calling, it better be important so I'll answer, otherwise if I know who's calling I'll just send a quick text and see what's up.

Back