Coffee House vs Bar

M2Giles

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
So I'm right now drinking coffee in an amazing coffee house talking to a guy that used to own a bar. I love beer and had thought of owning a craft beer bar at some point in my life, but I love how relaxed coffee houses can be.

So as I sip on this fancy pour over coffee, I really cant decide in my mind which I would rather own.

I think I still lean a bar, but its tough.

I would say a good bar makes way more money than a coffee shop, but that’s just a guess. So as an owner, I’d think you would want to put your time and money into whichever one is more profitable.

I would lean to a third option, a cigar/whiskey bar, but that's me. Now given only those two options, I would probably enjoy a coffee house vs a traditional bar/craft beer haus

So I'm right now drinking coffee in an amazing coffee house talking to a guy that used to own a bar. I love beer and had thought of owning a craft beer bar at some point in my life, but I love how relaxed coffee houses can be.

So as I sip on this fancy pour over coffee, I really cant decide in my mind which I would rather own.

I think I still lean a bar, but its tough.
You can have a chill craft beer bar. A nice patio with some TVs and comfortable chairs/sofas and greenery. Port Orleans brewery here in New Orleans is very relaxing and they have killer beers. Abita brewery pub is also awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would lean to a third option, a cigar/whiskey bar, but that's me. Now given only those two options, I would probably enjoy a coffee house vs a traditional bar/craft beer haus
I love whiskey bars as well. Cigar lounges are dying due to smoking laws unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view)

If you ever come to Augusta my favorite place on broad street is Whiskey Bar Kitchen

I don't drink and I hate drunk people, so it would be coffee bar for me all the way. Plus, coffee bar would have the kind of hours I like to keep. Yes, I am 35 going on 80. I will add that I also love to bake, so owning a coffee bar would allow me to make baked goods to sell too.

Some of those craft beer bars are really unique and cool. That would be my choice. Now, make it a bar in a college town and I’d take coffee house every time.

I think coffee house. Better hours and less legal liability. I understand the place to make money in the bar industry is with hard liquor as compared to beer.

Bar seems cool, but every craft brew place I’ve been to is essentially the same. The food is good, but it’s always variations of the same foods, burgers, big salads, Mac & cheese, pork/bacon, etc.

Coffee house is great. Check out La Colombe’s flagship shop in Philly. It’s massive, awesome place to hang out. The CEO , Todd Carmichael is always in there and has sat with me on a few occasions to just shoot the breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once worked with a guy that’s daughter was in on the ground floor of Starbucks. He told me that he told her “don’t do it, no one will ever pay 5 bucks for coffee”

She’s a lot wealthier than (most) any of us.

And I agree with someone above, to make money as a bar, you gotta have the license that says you can sell hard liquor.

I got snowed in to my work town with our near blizzard this year. I hadn’t sat at a bar in nearly 20 years, but knowing I was stuck in town and the hotel I was at had a pub, I was like a pig with poop. I had 1 of everything that I’d wanted to try forever. The next morning was a little rough, but if all they had was beer I’d probably have not gone down to it. I’m at the age where I just don’t care to wake up 6 times in the night to pee. I might have an occasional beer or two, but no more than 2.

I don't drink and I hate drunk people, so it would be coffee bar for me all the way. Plus, coffee bar would have the kind of hours I like to keep. Yes, I am 35 going on 80. I will add that I also love to bake, so owning a coffee bar would allow me to make baked goods to sell too.

I am personally offended! haha

I once worked with a guy that’s daughter was in on the ground floor of Starbucks. He told me that he told her “don’t do it, no one will ever pay 5 bucks for coffee”

She’s a lot wealthier than (most) any of us.

Unfortunately, $5 a cup is on the cheaper end for some of these places!!

I mean why not both bar at night and coffee house in the morning thru lunch?

Coffee house would probably less hassle with gov’t and unruly patrons

I dunno

You could set up the coffee house next door to a very nice beer store and tell people they can consume in the coffee house. In PA a liquor license is very expensive and difficult to obtain.

And I agree with someone above, to make money as a bar, you gotta have the license that says you can sell hard liquor.

I got snowed in to my work town with our near blizzard this year. I hadn’t sat at a bar in nearly 20 years, but knowing I was stuck in town and the hotel I was at had a pub, I was like a pig with poop. I had 1 of everything that I’d wanted to try forever. The next morning was a little rough, but if all they had was beer I’d probably have not gone down to it. I’m at the age where I just don’t care to wake up 6 times in the night to pee. I might have an occasional beer or two, but no more than 2.
Much of that depends on the state. Some friends own a wine and craft beer bar in Arizona, and get around a lot of regulations by not offering hot food (he partners with different food trucks to create a sort of rotating menu.) As it was explained to me by my friend, you can sell beer, liquor, or food, but once you try to sell more than one, it starts getting expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey now, there’s no need to hate ... lol

I’ll keep that in mind when I get into a THP event though. But for clarification, do you treat buzzed the same as drunk?:)

Much of that depends on the state. Some friends own a wine and craft beer bar in Arizona, and get around a lot of regulations by not offering hot food (he partners with different food trucks to create a sort of rotating menu.) As it was explained to me by my friend, you can sell beer, liquor, or food, but once you try to sell more than one, it starts getting expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That’s certainly true. In Ohio there are only 1000(ish) retail hard liquor licenses. Just about anyone can get the beer and wine licenses, I got one with a minimum amount of fuss when I opened up a grocery store, but you’re limited to 42 proof. The 1000 hard liquor licenses are divided up by population density per county. Lots of the lower population counties only have one. As such these licenses are extremely valuable with many of them transferring from one owner to the next for in excess of 1 million dollars.

The killer part of that is there is almost zero margin in the sale of hard liquor here at retail. The gross profit is only 5% to individuals and 3% to bars (whom have to purchase from these agents). It’s more of a draw than it is a money maker. Especially in the counties with only 1-2. They’ll attract every drinker in their county to their store.

It always amazes me when I travel and see hard liquor in every gas station in that state. It’s not like that here for sure.

Back