AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Leaving for Pinehurst today. Playing #1 Saturday morning, #4 Saturday afternoon, and #7 Sunday morning. 54 holes in roughly 30 hours. Can't wait! Especially excited to see #4 since the renovations and redesign. Did this same trip last year and played #5, #6, and #8. Had a great time, especially at #8, but I think this is a better combination of courses from start to finish.

That sounds like an absolute blast. I cant wait to read your thoughts on the trip.

If you have time I think golf Pride HQs is now at pinehurst.

Pinehurst is so close to here I have debated making the trip several times myself. I can't remember when the new Golf Pride facility is/was supposed to be up and running down there but if its already open make sure to visit that and give us some feedback on it.

Pinehurst is so close to here I have debated making the trip several times myself. I can't remember when the new Golf Pride facility is/was supposed to be up and running down there but if its already open make sure to visit that and give us some feedback on it.

Will do. The buddy I'm going with has family out there, so we usually go once a year and stay with them. Grew up going out there on random weekend trips and playing. Like a 2nd home to me. Legit get sad leaving every time and immediately look forward to the next trip. Just such an amazing place, both on and off the courses. Will definitely share some thoughts afterwards.

I think I saw that they planned on moving in back in Feb and opening things up throughout APril.

Went to Pinehurst last year and had an absolute blast and would not hesitate to do it again

Man I gotta go back to Pinehurst soon. Just feel like home when im there.

#1 is a great opening course.

I played 4 before its renovation, would be great to see it after.

And I was there before the par 3 course...that would be fun too!

The cradle is fun, unless your short game is bad like me, then you just have to enjoy the drink cart strategically positioned on it

The Cradle is FUN, but it's tougher than anyone ever gives it credit for. But next time you go, definitely play it!

The Cradle is FUN, but it's tougher than anyone ever gives it credit for. But next time you go, definitely play it!

You can count on it.

Pinehurst is a blast. I think we played #8, #2, and #3 when we went there. I've been itching to go back, it was absolutely incredible!

I'm headed there in a couple weeks for the Vokey/Titleist fitting event. Will play the Cradle and #4. I am so excited to give this a go! Enjoy your trip!

The cradle is fun, unless your short game is bad like me, then you just have to enjoy the drink cart strategically positioned on it

At least you set a record on the cradle. Rumor has it that it still stands and has not been broken yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made the trip down when I lived in Central Va back in 96, from Lynchburg area. LOVED IT ! I had a subcontractor that did work for us in Greensboro and I met him there. WE played two courses on a Friday, another Sat Morning and i drove back up.

We went in November.. Played 6, 8, 2, 4 and cradle. You are going to love 4.. It is tough, the greens were the toughest part to me, but its Pinehurst.... Have fun and take it all in, it an an awesome experience

Anyone ever play The Pit? It sits right next to PineHurst and closed now, but if they would build a Pinehurst 10????

I made the trip down when I lived in Central Va back in 96, from Lynchburg area. LOVED IT ! I had a subcontractor that did work for us in Greensboro and I met him there. WE played two courses on a Friday, another Sat Morning and i drove back up.

Nice! I live in Appomattox so just down the road from Lynchburg but grew up in Forest.

Nice! I live in Appomattox so just down the road from Lynchburg but grew up in Forest.

Forest, well small world. I lived in Lynchburg but was a member at Ivy Hill....live in the DFW area now. Left there in 2001

My last trip to Pinehurst we played #2, #8, #1 and #4, in that order. I don't think I'd ever tackle #2 again, but, it was a Bucket List course, so, that's taken care of. It is BRUTAL on mid to high cappers, mainly because of the upside down bowls they call greens. It was honestly very hard to keep a ball on the green on approach. On the very first hole my approach came up a little bit short and left a seemingly easy chip. My short game is my strength, but, when I chipped it to about half way to the hole it would not stop rolling and went off the back. Tried from there and it rolled off the front. The rest of the round didn't get any better. Pretty expensive with caddies and all, and, as I said I wouldn't do it again. My favorite was #8--a very fun course and good challenge. I thought #1 was just so-so, but #4 was really good. I've played #7 on an earlier trip and it was also very good.

A tip for those who haven't been to that area is that there are several very fine courses that aren't part of the resort that are outstanding and, of course, less expensive. The whole area is pretty nice to visit.

Forest, well small world. I lived in Lynchburg but was a member at Ivy Hill....live in the DFW area now. Left there in 2001

I lived on Coffee right off the end of Perrowville not 5 min from Ivy Hill. Ivy has to be the worst course in America if you have to walk. I am a member at Falling River and that and London are the best courses in the area. Poplar Grove is a nice course but WAY to expensive for this area. Still cool to have Sam Snead’s final design in the neighboring county though I guess.

I didn't walk in those days, I walk most times now. Loves playing at the Hills with the exception of each nine ending on a par 3. London Downs is a good track and playing up at Mariners Landing was good too.

Got back from this trip yesterday. Had a great time as always. Few thoughts:

Course #1 - #1 was #1, plain and simple. It's a fun course to play. If you're accurate off the tee, you'll score on this course. Always fun to play the original Pinehurst course (built in 1899)

Course #9 - we ended up playing #9 instead of #4 because of timing, and also #9 was about $40 cheaper. I had never played #9 previously, so wasn't sure what to expect. It's a Jack Nicklaus design, and isn't a links/sandhills style course like #1-5. But I found this course to be a GEM. I loved it. It really truly offered a little bit of everything - some length, some wide open, some very narrow, etc. And it was beautiful. It had some holes that were distinctly "Pinehurst" while others looked more like the picturesque championship "postcard" type holes (go on Pienhurst's website and check out some pics). It was very challenging without being brutally unforgiving if that makes sense. I absolutely loved playing here, and will certainly play it again in the future.

Course #7 - had never played this course previously, but heard it was tough... and it was. This was probably the most unforgiving course I have ever played. On top of that, there's constant elevation changes. The starter basically told us to add 400-500 yards to the yardage totals on the score card when deciding what tees to play. A lot of blind shots. But outside of that, it was still a tough course. Perhaps the most underrated aspect of what made it difficult is the slope in the fairways. Even if you hit the perfect tee shot, you rarely had a flat lie for your approach shot - a lot of shots above/below your feet and upslope/downslope. Glad I played it and glad I got to experience the challenge, but I'll probably stick with #6, #8, and #9 when playing away from the main resort.

Other -
**Played "Thistle Dhu" (the putting course) probably 4-6 rounds. It's crazy challenging, but in a really fun and enjoyable way. Always fun to play between or after rounds, especially with a drink in hand from the clubhouse.
**If anyone is ever in Pinehurst, I'd recommend grabbing lunch or dinner at Drum and Quill in the village. It's small inside, but fantastic food and drinks (get the BBQ Wonton Nachos as an appitizer... so good!) Live music every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday night. Great atmosphere, some TV's (which was great with March Madness going on), about a mile from the clubhouse, and it has a relatively low key "golf theme" inside. Great hole in the wall.

Last edited:
Got back from this trip yesterday. Had a great time as always. Few thoughts:

Course #1 - #1 was #1, plain and simple. It's a fun course to play. If you're accurate off the tee, you'll score on this course. Always fun to play the original Pinehurst course (built in 1899)

Course #9 - we ended up playing #9 instead of #4 because of timing, and also #9 was about $40 cheaper. I had never played #9 previously, so wasn't sure what to expect. It's a Jack Nicklaus design, and isn't a links/sandhills style course like #1-5. But I found this course to be a GEM. I loved it. It really truly offered a little bit of everything - some length, some wide open, some very narrow, etc. And it was beautiful. It had some holes that were distinctly "Pinehurst" while others looked more like the picturesque championship "postcard" type holes (go on Pienhurst's website and check out some pics). It was very challenging without being brutally unforgiving if that makes sense. I absolutely loved playing here, and will certainly play it again in the future.

Course #7 - had never played this course previously, but heard it was tough... and it was. This was probably the most unforgiving course I have ever played. On top of that, there's constant elevation changes. The starter basically told us to add 400-500 yards to the yardage totals on the score card when deciding what tees to play. A lot of blind shots. But outside of that, it was still a tough course. Perhaps the most underrated aspect of what made it difficult is the slope in the fairways. Even if you hit the perfect tee shot, you rarely had a flat lie for your approach shot - a lot of shots above/below your feet and upslope/downslope. Glad I played it and glad I got to experience the challenge, but I'll probably stick with #6, #8, and #9 when playing away from the main resort.

Other -
**Played "Thistle Dhu" (the putting course) probably 4-6 rounds. It's crazy challenging, but in a really fun and enjoyable way. Always fun to play between or after rounds, especially with a drink in hand from the clubhouse.
**If anyone is ever in Pinehurst, I'd recommend grabbing lunch or dinner at Drum and Quill in the village. It's small inside, but fantastic food and drinks (get the BBQ Wonton Nachos as an appitizer... so good!) Live music every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday night. Great atmosphere, some TV's (which was great with March Madness going on), about a mile from the clubhouse, and it has a relatively low key "golf theme" inside. Great hole in the wall.

Thanks for the reply! So damn jealous........that place is so fun. #1 is a great course to start the trip with in my opinion. Nothing crazy, you get some shots of #2 winding around it, its simple yet its still not overly easy. Its a good way to get used to Bermuda greens if one hasn't played them much in my opinion.

Thistle Du and The Cradle weren't there when I was there. And they have redone the restaurants and sports bar since also.

We ate at Squire's Pub one night in Aberdeen. That was really good.

My last trip to Pinehurst we played #2, #8, #1 and #4, in that order. I don't think I'd ever tackle #2 again, but, it was a Bucket List course, so, that's taken care of. It is BRUTAL on mid to high cappers, mainly because of the upside down bowls they call greens. It was honestly very hard to keep a ball on the green on approach. On the very first hole my approach came up a little bit short and left a seemingly easy chip. My short game is my strength, but, when I chipped it to about half way to the hole it would not stop rolling and went off the back. Tried from there and it rolled off the front. The rest of the round didn't get any better. Pretty expensive with caddies and all, and, as I said I wouldn't do it again. My favorite was #8--a very fun course and good challenge. I thought #1 was just so-so, but #4 was really good. I've played #7 on an earlier trip and it was also very good.

A tip for those who haven't been to that area is that there are several very fine courses that aren't part of the resort that are outstanding and, of course, less expensive. The whole area is pretty nice to visit.

Going in July. Can you recommend any courses in the area

Going in July. Can you recommend any courses in the area

Outside of Pinehurst #1-9, all of these are championship level courses and are worth looking into:

Foxfire (10 min from Pinehurst)
Tobacco Road (30 min from Pinehurst, in Sanford NC)
Pine Needles (5-10 min from Pinehurst)
Mid Pines (5-10 min from Pinehurst)
Dormie Club (in Pinehurst)
Mid South Club (in Pinehurst)

Back