Help me analyze these #s please, iron edition

Alan4014

Reaction score
Handicap
A local golf shop has a simulator that you can pay to use so I thought I would go capture some data on my current clubs. Only problem is I'm not real sure what they should be. My observation is I generally hit my irons higher than most of the people I play with. I've been gaming g25 irons w stiff cfs shafts for four or five years now. Before them I had i20 irons with the same shafts. I would say I hit the g25s slightly higher, and straighter but they have less "action" on the greens, presumably from less spin as you would expect from a game improvement iron vs a players iron. Also, even though I hit them "high" I don't have any issues w ballooning, again I think an indication of "lower" spin.
On to the numbers. Not sure what software the simulator had, but I will admit these distance numbers look "jacked" to me. I don't hit my irons this far on the course. Which makes me wonder how accurate these numbers really are, but hey, they are better than nothing. A callaway chrome + golf ball was used, which is an older model ball, but I had a few in my bag and played 18 with them yesterday so I wanted to use them so I could compare the numbers to what I saw yesterday on the course.

7i
176 carry
186 total
83 club speed
113 ball speed
13.5 launch
4479 spin
23 yds high

9i
163 carry
169 total
81 club speed
106 ball speed
18.2 launch
4918 spin
28 yds high

W
153 carry
160 total
78 club speed
101 ball speed
19.2 launch
5118 spin
25 yds high

fwiw, I would say a stock wedge is my 115-120 club, 9i is 125-130 and 7i is 155 club. All numbers above are averages of 5-10 shots with each club, with obvious miss hits thrown out. Also my irons don't run out that far on the green, W and 9i are typically no more than a step or two from the pitch mark. And finally, unfortunately decent angle wasn't measured so I don't have that data.

So, please share your thoughts on the numbers above.

Yeah, I do think those numbers are accurate. Just going off of my last numbers from hitting on a Foresight+HMT, you're not getting good information.

Flightscope has a free tool that is fun, I am not sure it's entirely accurate however.

Those are some really low spin numbers for your irons.
I bet you struggle with hitting over the green sometimes.

Help me analyze these #s please, iron edition

I think those numbers are jacked af. I hit my 7i 175 and swing it around 90 mph. Spin looks really low too. A 190 yard 7i is right around tour speed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those are some really low spin numbers for your irons.
I bet you struggle with hitting over the green sometimes.

They are actually not crazy low spin for the modern tech forward golf club, but coupled with a very low peak height like above and it is leaving some performance on the table for sure.
With that said, im not sure how accurate those are.

They are actually not crazy low spin for the modern tech forward golf club, but coupled with a very low peak height like above and it is leaving some performance on the table for sure.

Yeah, you have a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that said, im not sure how accurate those are.

I expected them to be a little low, spin wise but not that low. As stated, I don't struggle to hold the greens. I'm wondering if the simulator is more set up for a driver, and giving inaccurate data on irons. Like I said, I don't hit them that far on the course.

I expected them to be a little low, spin wise but not that low. As stated, I don't struggle to hold the greens. I'm wondering if the simulator is more set up for a driver, and giving inaccurate data on irons. Like I said, I don't hit them that far on the course.

Could be any number of things.
Giving away a trip right now that comes with a fitting for THPers, that would certainly get you dialed in : )

A local golf shop has a simulator that you can pay to use so I thought I would go capture some data on my current clubs. Only problem is I'm not real sure what they should be. My observation is I generally hit my irons higher than most of the people I play with. I've been gaming g25 irons w stiff cfs shafts for four or five years now. Before them I had i20 irons with the same shafts. I would say I hit the g25s slightly higher, and straighter but they have less "action" on the greens, presumably from less spin as you would expect from a game improvement iron vs a players iron. Also, even though I hit them "high" I don't have any issues w ballooning, again I think an indication of "lower" spin.
On to the numbers. Not sure what software the simulator had, but I will admit these distance numbers look "jacked" to me. I don't hit my irons this far on the course. Which makes me wonder how accurate these numbers really are, but hey, they are better than nothing. A callaway chrome + golf ball was used, which is an older model ball, but I had a few in my bag and played 18 with them yesterday so I wanted to use them so I could compare the numbers to what I saw yesterday on the course.

7i
176 carry
186 total
83 club speed
113 ball speed
13.5 launch
4479 spin
23 yds high

9i
163 carry
169 total
81 club speed
106 ball speed
18.2 launch
4918 spin
28 yds high

W
153 carry
160 total
78 club speed
101 ball speed
19.2 launch
5118 spin
25 yds high

fwiw, I would say a stock wedge is my 115-120 club, 9i is 125-130 and 7i is 155 club. All numbers above are averages of 5-10 shots with each club, with obvious miss hits thrown out. Also my irons don't run out that far on the green, W and 9i are typically no more than a step or two from the pitch mark. And finally, unfortunately decent angle wasn't measured so I don't have that data.

So, please share your thoughts on the numbers above.

assuming the numbers are "accurate" everything mostly checks out, except for the distances.

is this more of what you see on course?

93Y91Vq.png

I’m hitting my irons off a mat with the gc2, comparable to yours. Generally mats reduce spin. We’re those numbers off grass?

You might have some mat effect for low spin but something feels really off here. I swing my irons hard and those are distances I expect to see but you have super low peak heights and lower ballspeeds.

Low spin will help the ball go farther but 174 yard carry is pretty long for that ballspeed and launch angle.

assuming the numbers are "accurate" everything mostly checks out, except for the distances.

is this more of what you see on course?

93Y91Vq.png

My normal stock swing is 5-10 yards shorter than that graph.

I’m hitting my irons off a mat with the gc2, comparable to yours. Generally mats reduce spin. We’re those numbers off grass?

Shots were off a mat, and I'm glad you said that. I've never got what I felt were accurate numbers off a mat compared to what the ball does on the course w grass.

You might have some mat effect for low spin but something feels really off here. I swing my irons hard and those are distances I expect to see but you have super low peak heights and lower ballspeeds.

Low spin will help the ball go farther but 174 yard carry is pretty long for that ballspeed and launch angle.

I agree, I don't hit my irons that far.

If I try to rationalize these I think the low spin and lower than observed height could be the mat effect.

How much less spin do you see off mats?

I think the keyword may be “golf shop simulator”. It’s not unheard of them setting them to give 15-20% more distance, some can certainly be set that way.

Then the sales pitch is “look how far you’re hitting these clubs we’re trying to sell you”. Some casual golfer with dated equipment might fall for it. I’m not saying that this was what went on but it is possible. Or they were playing around with it and just forgot to set it back. Or it’s just a horrible sim, lol.

I carried a PW 194 yards with my first swing on one that I practice on quite a bit. I hit the ball far but that’s WELL beyond my ability. Went to the lady working there and asked her what was going on when I replicated it with shot 2. She came over and adjusted some setting and all was back to normal. This is an indoor golf place with 5 bays. She had it set up for someone that asked to have it set that way. Why? No clue. Maybe a “hold my beer and watch this” type thing?

The distances are jacked and this is a common complaint with simulators. As SmiterOfPv1x stated, some of these even have settings to purposely manipulate the distances. Feeding egos by jacking distances in a simulator could even be viewed as a 'feature' by those who sell and buy them. Bottom line: A simulator is NOT a professional launch monitor. The two product categories have very different objectives and purposes.

The distances are jacked and this is a common complaint with simulators. As SmiterOfPv1x stated, some of these even have settings to purposely manipulate the distances. Feeding egos by jacking distances in a simulator could even be viewed as a 'feature' by those who sell and buy them. Bottom line: A simulator is NOT a professional launch monitor. The two product categories have very different objectives and purposes.

Curious. How do you “jack” distances on a gc2 or quad? Most of those are found in golf stores. I have a gc2 at home and have no idea how I would do this. Most sims run the foresight software. Is there a way to jack the software?

Curious. How do you “jack” distances on a gc2 or quad? Most of those are found in golf stores. I have a gc2 at home and have no idea how I would do this. Most sims run the foresight software. Is there a way to jack the software?

You cannot alter the GC2 or GCQuad. There are sim softwares you can manipulate, but the hardware is rock solid.

You cannot alter the GC2 or GCQuad. There are sim softwares you can manipulate, but the hardware is rock solid.

That’s what I thought.
And I’ve always checked the LM compared to the results on the screen. Always bang on.
The only sim software that I’m aware you can manipulate is TGC.

So how are any golf store numbers jacked? Different LM? And what store wouldn’t use at a professional LM?

That’s what I thought.
And I’ve always checked the LM compared to the results on the screen. Always bang on.

So how are any golf store numbers jacked? Different LM? And what store wouldn’t use at a professional LM?

Technically you can alter TrackMan in a few ways with “normalization”. You can also change the sea level/wind on just about every software.

That’s what I thought.

TGC (wanted to autocorrect to THC, lol) may be the same as AboutGolf but this was on an AboutGolf Sim.

Back