Help me analyze these numbers please, driver edition

Alan4014

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been gaming a g400 driver 10.5*, for about a year now, but I've never actually hit this one on simulator to get data. On the course I would say well hit shots fly pretty high, with an "average" amount of run out. Shaft is Mitsubishi diamana 72 stiff flex, the older flower band one, loft set at 10.5, playing at 44.5", D3+ swing weight. I was fit to this shaft several years ago at a demo day, and have just carried it over to the last several drivers I've had. Golf ball used was an older callaway chrome + mostly because I had a few in my bag, and I played 18 with it yesterday, and would say ball flight looked good on the course.

#s
257 carry
265 total
106 club speed
148 ball speed
1.39 smash factor
10.1 launch
3422 spin
45 yds high

Unlike the irons, I thought I had a decent idea what my numbers were based on numbers from other drivers I have hit on a simulator vs what I'm seeing on the course. I also kinda think I know where they should be. Based on the ball flight I'm seeing, I was expecting launch to be a little higher than where it should be maybe in the 14-15 range, and spin to be in the 2600-2800 range. So needless to say I was surprised to see the launch lower than expected, and the spin quite a bit higher than expected. I was also surprised to see the smash at 1.39, I thought it was closer to 1.44 last time I hit on a simulator, with other drivers. As stated, I normally see average (5-10% of carry) run out on the course, so 8 yards of run out seemed lower than what I typically see. Above numbers are an average of 15 shots, with obvious miss hits thrown out.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

These #s are perplexing. From the same simulator as the irons? Unless the 45 is supposed to be 25 yards for peak height...still, for 148 ball speed to carry 256 at 10.1* launch is a feat. Do you know your average AoA?

These #s are perplexing. From the same simulator as the irons? Unless the 45 is supposed to be 25 yards for peak height...still, for 148 ball speed to carry 256 at 10.1* launch is a feat. Do you know your average AoA?

Yes, same simulator. I'm starting to question the data.
265 total distance is in line with gps measured shots on course, but 257 carry is not, that's longer than normal. I would guess 20-25 yards of run is normal to get to 265.
45 height is yards, but I question that as well. I would guess my average height is 90-100 feet based on ball flight observation.
Don't know AoA but I would guess close to 0, only because I do get an occasional "flier" that I attribute to hitting it with a positive AoA

What carry numbers would you expect with 148 ball speed?

265 total distance is in line with gps measured shots on course, but 257 carry is not, that's longer than normal. I would guess 20-25 yards of run is normal to get to 265.
45 height is yards, but I question that as well. I would guess my average height is 90-100 feet based on ball flight observation.
Don't know AoA but I would guess close to 0, only because I do get an occasional "flier" that I attribute to hitting it with a positive AoA

I'd question it for sure. I only care about carry distance because total distance varies based on course conditions. At the end of the day, if it goes far and straight, it works.

There's no way that swing got that high and went that far. I think that simulator was stuck in the "sell clubs" setting.

Hmmm, O well. So much for that experiment. I guess I still don't know exactly where I'm at #s wise.
As I said in the OP, on course the driver flies fairly high and gets around normal roll out. 235-240 is probably average carry on course on well struck shots. I was expecting slightly higher than optimum spin and launch numbers, but I don't think 45 yards peak height (135 feet) is accurate. I'm also pretty surprised at the low smash factor. About the only number that was close to what I expected was swing speed. I was expecting 105, so 106 average w 15 shots was nice to see, if that's accurate.
Now I'm wanting to go somewhere else to see if any of these #s can be validated.

Help me analyze these numbers please, driver edition

I’ve got 146 ballspeed in my gc2 a couple of times and gotten 245 carry. So I’m assuming 148 should put you in the mid 250 carry range.

That peak height looks high for that LA.

I’ve got 146 ballspeed in my gc2 a couple of times and gotten 245 carry. So I’m assuming 148 should put you in the mid 250 carry range.

That peak height looks high for that LA.

To get that carry with that ball speed, you would need to hit it very high with very little spin. Or just be at a good elevation.

Something seems off here.

That low smash factor could be from misfits which seem likely due to the spin. The low launch angle indicates low strikes.

The part that is perplexing to me is the 245 yard carry. I hit my 5 wood around mid to low 150s ballspeed with that launch angle and spin and I dont see that much carry. I know my numbers fairly well and that seems off.

I would wonder if the sim was set to elevation maybe like 2000 ft or so in order to give some extra carry. The higher peak height seems to indicate that too.

I would say looking besides the carry number you likely hit down with the driver. Work on getting a positive AoA and hitting the middle of the face. 106 swing speed should be able to get quite a bit more distance and definitely higher ballspeed than 146.

Back