Ben Hogan PTx Irons Review Thread

I might actually get a chance to swing these after ArmyGolf gets his set! If he lets me of course :angel:

I'm going to get a set of Hogan PTx irons...I'm still pinching myself!

I've been a Hogan fan forever, and when I say forever, it's been over 40yrs since I first swung a golf club. My grandfather taught me to play and the guy he always talked about was Ben Hogan. I've read the book, watch the videos over-and-over again. The spring of last year I committed to a month of swinging like Ben, just to get back to some basics. Yes, I'm a fan!

I am also excited to see the Hogan company back in the game with a solid set of irons. The PTx irons appear to offer the look and feel that I love, and to say I'm excited about receiving and gaming a set is an understatement!

I'm really interested in hearing everyone's thoughts about the PTx irons and how they work for their game. Additionally, I'm interested in if the results from the hands on fitting differs from the on-line fitting and if so how?

I might actually get a chance to swing these after ArmyGolf gets his set! If he lets me of course :angel:
What's mine is yours brother. The more feedback we can offer the better for everyone.

For those interested, the PTx irons were in this months issue of Golf magazine for their Club Test 2016 section. They listed the irons in the Game Improvement category, but the cons were that they aren't forgiving and have a small sweet spot.

I've heard a couple people compare them to the 2016 Titleist AP2's. But with the long irons being a hollow cavity back for more forgiveness it sounds like these might be somewhere between the Game Improvement and Players iron categories.

http://www.golf.com/equipment/ben-hogan-ptx-irons-review-clubtest-2016

That review gave me chills, just exactly what I am looking for. Sure if you miss it you pay, but the good ones will be great. Then to have a set Custom fit is just out of this world cool.

Every thought I read about these has me more and more excited to bag and review them. They sound EXACTLY like the perfect iron set for me and my game.

I'm a bit surprised they are in the GI category for that review. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a full GI iron was the goal when this iron was designed.

These sure do not look like G.I. irons to me and I have tried the TM M2 and Cobra F6 in the last 3 weeks on the Course which I think are firmly in that zone or maybe SGI. I have been searching for any info I can find on them and it all is positive so far. Paired up with the right flex, etc. should be deadly accurate sticks.

Great looking​irons, really looking to the reviews!

I'm a bit surprised they are in the GI category for that review. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a full GI iron was the goal when this iron was designed.

I'm with you. If anything they might lean more towards a cross between a GI and Players style iron. But the Hogan site lists them as a set for control, not anything designed to be exceptionally long. And the review seems to say the same thing.

And I'm getting more and more excited the more I hear/read about them. The demo day at my club was cancelled yesterday due to rain/flooding, so I didn't get to see what the Hogan tent would have had. Hopefully they reschedule soon for our club or elsewhere in my area.

Every thought I read about these has me more and more excited to bag and review them. They sound EXACTLY like the perfect iron set for me and my game.

What shafts did you go with?

I'm with the rest of you on these clubs. My last two sets of irons I guess are in that crossover category of GI/Players, but in my experience so far that crossover moniker can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. I'm definitely interested in how much forgiveness they pack into these irons and what type of forgiveness they offer.

Other random thoughts...I'm virtually certain I'll have a gap in my bag at the @50* slot (currently a set wedge) but it's pretty near impossible to fill it in advance of the event because we don't know what our custom configuration will be. I'm also really curious about the other end of the bag - I don't normally game my 4i; I played MPH4s at that end for a while, which also have a hollow face technology. It will be interesting to see how that tech works for Hogan and how constant feel is throughout the set given the different construction methods used.

I think when some get them. In hand they're going to find them much more players size/profile than they think.

JMO, of course.

I think when some get them. In hand they're going to find them much more players size/profile than they think.

JMO, of course.
They are not as small as some of the pictures make them look, but they are more compact than I would expect especially after hitting them. They are similar in size to my SLDR irons.

They are not as small as some of the pictures make them look, but they are more compact than I would expect especially after hitting them. They are similar in size to my SLDR irons.
I still believe they will surprise some, basing things off what is said in a magazine article can be tricky business.

As I said though, JMO.

I still believe they will surprise some, basing things off what is said in a magazine article can be tricky business.

As I said though, JMO.
I found them incredibly easy to hit, was actually surprised by how well I hit them. They are fun irons.

Similar in size to SLDR irons is a little larger than I would have guessed, but I remember being quite fond of those.

I found them incredibly easy to hit, was actually surprised by how well I hit them. They are fun irons.
I don't doubt that at all, the FTW's were also fun to hit and easier than most anticipated.

Still not what my point was, but it is what it is, and that's ok.

I don't doubt that at all, the FTW's were also fun to hit and easier than most anticipated.

Still not what my point was, but it is what it is, and that's ok.
Sorry dude, I must have missed your point?

Were you saying they are smaller than what most think?

Hogan's site says they have all the individual lofts to customize sets but they also characterize the clubs as being configured into one of four flight characteristics

4i5i6i7i8i9iPW
Low20242832364044
Mid-low21252933374145
Current i25 gamers24273033374146
Mid-high22263034384246
High23273135394448

Obviously, Hogan rejects the iron numbering - I've included it for ease of comparison to my i25s.

Some of us may have a hard time swallowing their line about jacked lofts. But it is interesting to see their point about clumped lofts at the long irons, wider gaps at the top end inconsistent gapping in a set. I've always assumed my poor ball striking was the cause of tighter gaps with my long irons. It will be interesting to see if that is different with the Hogans.

It will also be interesting to see if participants end up with a preconceived configuration of clubs or if they are truly uniquely fit.

Last edited:
Hogan's site says they have all the individual lofts to customize sets but they also characterize the clubs as being configured into one of four flight characteristics

4i5i6i7i8i9iPW
Low20242832364044
Mid-low21252933374145
Current i25 gamers24273033374146
Mid-high22263034384246
High23273135394448

Obviously, Hogan rejects the iron numbering - I've included it for ease of comparison to my i25s.

Some of us may have a hard time swallowing their line about jacked lofts. But it is interesting to see their point about clumped lofts at the long irons, wider gaps at the top end inconsistent gapping in a set. I've always assumed my poor ball striking was the cause of tighter gaps with my long irons. It will be interesting to see if that is different with the Hogans.

Pit will also be interesting to see if participants end up with a preconceived configuration of clubs or if they are truly uniquely fit.

I've always disliked the move to tighter lofts at the top of the set, but it has always just made it easier for me to make the switch to hybrids instead.

It's interesting that you mentioned the SLDR irons. That's exactly the iron model I had in mind when reading about them. I was also fond of them and was actually fit for them. I didn't end up with them because the TM lab fit me with them and KBS Tour X shafts, but TM doesn't stock the Tour X in .370 to fit the heads. So at that time I ended up with the 14 CB's and KBS Tour X.

Current Bag Setup...

Driver, 14* 3 wood, 20* Hybrid, 4i 23*, 5i 26*, 6i 29*, 7i 33*, 8i 37*, 9i 41.5*, PW 46*, 50*, 55*, 59*

After lots of thought, I'm thinking this will get me some more versatility at both ends of my bag.

Driver, 3 wood, 5 or 7 wood, 21* or 22* hybrid, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*, 49*, 53*, 57*

Depending on course I can drop a club at the top of the bag and add a 61* when needed, but I can hit most of the delicate or high shots I need around a green with a 57.

Going through the Hogan Fit gave me an interesting recommended setup. They had me put a 62* wedge at the bottom of the bag to add one more club inside the "scoring zone". Not sure that I feel a 62 is necessary but I do understand the concept and what they are driving at with that setup. It hinges on how many approach shots you hit from inside 160 yards; the higher the number the more clubs you should have on that half of your bag.

For me the answer to that question completely depends on which course I play, so it will vary.

Going through the Hogan Fit gave me an interesting recommended setup. They had me put a 62* wedge at the bottom of the bag to add one more club inside the "scoring zone". Not sure that I feel a 62 is necessary but I do understand the concept and what they are driving at with that setup. It hinges on how many approach shots you hit from inside 160 yards; the higher the number the more clubs you should have on that half of your bag.

For me the answer to that question completely depends on which course I play, so it will vary.

I always carry a 62 or 64 because several of the courses I play have multiple elevated greens with pretty quick speeds - not sure I would otherwise though.

Back