TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

Going for a driver fitting and have been deciding what manufacture's adapter to put on my raw Project X custom shaft. I think I'm going to go with a TaylorMade one because this driver really has me intrigued. Up until my BB 815 I had gamed 3 straight TM drivers and was always happy. TM seems to have finally gotten it right again with the M2. My only concern is that my miss lately has been on the heel which seems to be a no-no for this club. Regardless, the solid reviews has sold me on giving this some swings at my fitting.

Awesome, can't wait to hear what you end up with. This driver has really impressed me so far. I'll even admit I was pretty anti-TaylorMade for a while and this has really reopened that door for me...

Great reviews so far!
BFT killing it! Hopefully get on the course with you soon and see you bomb that thing!

Great reviews so far!
BFT killing it! Hopefully get on the course with you soon and see you bomb that thing!

I'd love that too. Hope to see you soon buddy!

Last edited:
This has ruined the sound of all other drivers for me.

Performance wise it leaves me very much wanting in some areas, but overachieves my expectations in others. Its a bit if an enigma for me still.

I know I'm not part of this forum review, but I need to sit down and post up my thoughts more completely. Its a step the right way for TM for sure.

So I played the second round of my tournament today. I hit this club really well again. I think I missed two fairways. Close to center face all day. Really solid contact. It rained pretty hard and my distance was still pretty solid.

I get a nice penetrating flight but I'm not happy with the launch I'm getting. Its just too low, almost low to mid low. I'm not carrying it very far. I'm getting some great roll out but I still feel like I'm not getting the most distance I can. When I try to add spine tilt it just puts my weight too much on my back foot and I can't shift my weight properly.

I boosted the loft when I got home so I'm gonna give 12.5 degrees a shot at the range in a few days. I'm confident that this change will get me closer to a consistent 240-250 range. I really need to improve my strength and flexibility if I'm gonn get much more than that on non downhill drives. My confidence on the tee is back so that's a great start.

Its because I haven't .

I agree with the others in here that say it's the best sounding driver, it's so good!
My THP playing partner today wasn't a fan of the sound...but hes obviously nuts.

I also think it's the best looking driver ever (with the M1).

Sound wise, I prefer the Vapor Pro, but this one definitely sounds good. Better than just about any recent TM offering, for sure.

Hoping to hear more from the testers on this one soon.
Can you guys describe your ball flight in detail compared to your driver you were playing previously?
What do you think about the distance compared to your driver?
How about forgiveness compared to your driver?

I know I am not an official tester, but I would like to add my thoughts to JB's questions.

My ballflight is certainly higher then my 816. That could be a number of factors such as shaft as well as weight placement as I would believe my M2 has a more rearward and lower CG then the 816 when both are played at 10.5* of loft.
Distance wise on great swings is on par, but my misses seem to be about 10-15 yards longer and have much less movement to the extreme right or left.
As for forgiveness, it is much more forgiving, especially on my high heel miss I am prone to.

I know I am not an official tester, but I would like to add my thoughts to JB's questions.

My ballflight is certainly higher then my 816. That could be a number of factors such as shaft as well as weight placement as I would believe my M2 has a more rearward and lower CG then the 816 when both are played at 10.5* of loft.
Distance wise on great swings is on par, but my misses seem to be about 10-15 yards longer and have much less movement to the extreme right or left.
As for forgiveness, it is much more forgiving, especially on my high heel miss I am prone to.

That last part says a lot about the forgiveness of the M2. I found the DBD to be pretty darn forgiving in terms of yardage loss

That last part says a lot about the forgiveness of the M2. I found the DBD to be pretty darn forgiving in terms of yardage loss

I will say it may have nothing to do with MOI and everything to do with spin profile.

I will say it may have nothing to do with MOI and everything to do with spin profile.

That could be true. Either way it sounds like you found a good fit for you. Now your back to making me feel short off the tee

That could be true. Either way it sounds like you found a good fit for you. Now your back to making me feel short off the tee

Please, nobody buts East Coast Fupresti in a corner.

Very solid feedback Fuppy, and kinda surprising on the mishits still giving you strong numbers.

You mentioned the spin profile on the head may have to do with that, is it more you're not getting typical mishit spin? Or is there just better ball speed retention than there was in some of their previous offerings?

Very solid feedback Fuppy, and kinda surprising on the mishits still giving you strong numbers.

You mentioned the spin profile on the head may have to do with that, is it more you're not getting typical mishit spin? Or is there just better ball speed retention than there was in some of their previous offerings?

I need to get on a monitor. I was always under the belief I was a high spin player and have been chasing a lower RPM and something JB said in a thread the other day made me start thinking about spin and my particular tee game and maybe lower spin isnt helping, it's hurting. All I know is, this combo right now is staying in play much more often then my 816 combo.

Compared to my previous R15 the M2 shares the same fade bias, which I love!
Launch with M2 at 13* with HZRDUS is the same as my R15/Speeder 661 combo at 14*, but spin is down about 6-700 rpm.

I am finding a ton of forgiveness to the toe side and even on the heel side as long as it's high on the face. Mid heel and low heel are the only two places you don't want to miss with this head. Compared to R15 though, it's improved in every way. Better ball speed retention from everywhere, better launch, lower spin, and much improved look.

I need to get on a monitor. I was always under the belief I was a high spin player and have been chasing a lower RPM and something JB said in a thread the other day made me start thinking about spin and my particular tee game and maybe lower spin isnt helping, it's hurting. All I know is, this combo right now is staying in play much more often then my 816 combo.

If you can find it in better positions than the 816, that's tough to beat. Definitely a driver I look forward to trying in a month

I hit the range today to try this driver at the higher 12.5 degree setting because my ball flight was too low hurting my carry distance. I started out with some low hooks but once I adjusted my club face to counteract the slightly closed face I started getting a nice high draw flight. I also started focusing on my wrist hinge because I haven't been doing it properly. Once I did that I was carrying the the ball a good 20-30 yards longer than I was. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I was hitting into a nice breeze too. It was hard to tell my roll out on the range, but I'm playing 18 tomorrow so I'll get a better idea of my total gains then. I think I'm finally getting this club dialed in.

I'll write up some more thoughts later about this club, but for now I will just leave this here.

e6bebe66a8f5933ceef12ab19cdae111.jpg

05578d39007b5c776212c1e3991f8651.jpg

Mine must be a knock off, it's 50 yards short of yours

Mine must be a knock off, it's 50 yards short of yours

It was downhill, down wind and with a draw. It was like running into Olivia Wilde and her telling you she digs overweight short guys in middle management.

In reply to JBs questions comparing the M2 to my previous driver, here are my thoughts;

Compared to the CG Black, the M2 is quite a touch lower to start. It was a much more penetrating ball flight. Cranking it up to 12.5* has certainly helped, and is allowing me to get a bit more air under my drives.

Comparing forgiveness is not even close. My previous driver was forgiving laterally and horizontally off the face. There wasnt much of a "miss" on the face. With the M2, my heel misses are well documented. Overly penalizing and the fact that I even have a heel miss now still baffles me, as it only appears with this driver.

Distance is comparable. I will have this on the course this weekend, and with upping the loft and getting a better ball flight, the M2 might be a touch longer.

Removed the small screw and installed the 10g screw. Small screw feels like it can't be much more than 1g.
Hopefully this gets the swing weight closer to where I like it without altering spin numbers.
2a1f254caa0fbcb791ccb82ed11f61df.jpg

So I had an odd round today. I played really well, shooting +3 74 on a 6200 yard course. This was with 3 penalty shots, 1 OB and 2 were lost in the desert as a result of bad drives that I cant blame on the club. I had 31% FIR bit had 67% GIR so while 31% sounds bad, I was generally just hitting from rough and recovered well. Otherwise, its just amazing the confidence I have right now on the tee box and as a result my last 3 rounds with the M2 full time were 72, 77 and 74. This thing is just stupid fun to hit.

And by the way, in the last three rounds I have 6 300+ yard drives which is definitely on the high end of my talents.

Uuyw3Vc.png

eCaPIcA.png

Removed the small screw and installed the 10g screw. Small screw feels like it can't be much more than 1g.
Hopefully this gets the swing weight closer to where I like it without altering spin numbers.

Yeah, got mine in too.
Ripped off the lead tape and the 8 gram weight got me where I needed to be.

I'm interested in hearing how it performs. I'm so afraid of messing with mine at this point.

I'm interested in hearing how it performs.
I'm so afraid of messing with mine at this point.

Nothing too it.
Just apply a little heat to the screw and replace with different one.
My SW without the additional weight is only around C5 , I like D1 or 2.

Back