All over the place!

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
These are the days that drive me nuts. 85 with 3 birds and an eagle. If I’m not in the fairway it’s because I smothered a honking duck hook 100 yards out and 40 yards off line. Once I get back into play or take my medicine with a drop, The Hogan Blacks come alive and pepper the pin- even in the 25-30mph breeze.
The one specific thing I worked on at the range all winter was stopping that smother hook. And it was essentially gone and became a tolerable power draw that would find left edge or at least be playable. But get out for the first time with positive thoughts after a good range session? 1st tee, Mr. Quacker shows up and cost a 6.
Oh, well... back at it next time. <vent mode off>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tension and tempo are the causes when I duck hook. I'm gripping too tight and my temp is messed up and fast.

Tension and tempo are the causes when I duck hook. I'm gripping too tight and my temp is messed up and fast.

+1
AA.jpg

I agree. I used to never see the left side of a course. It was either straight or a fade. Bad miss was a block or slice. That swing was not tempo dependent, at least to the same level.

Changed my swing last year to mainly play a draw and benefit from the ability to fight wind a little better as I grow older and am bleeding speed. I can still block it (rarely a slice but right is still in play), but my bad miss is an ugly hook. If I get too fast it is likely to happen. I have to consciously focus on swing plane and being in rhythm now. Too fast in the backswing or transition and it’s a guaranteed hook. I can’t keep the plane when I get too fast and come back OTT. Couple that with a closed face from being too far ahead, dead.

So my swing change has merited one thing, an ability to find the entire course. It really is quite nice seeing the left side of the course. Trees and flowers and stuff that I never even knew existed are now just a quick swing away. Lemons/lemonade. Etc.

Golf is hard.

Sounds like you fought hard and shot an 85 despite not having your best.
I’d crack a beer and pat yourself on the back.

What I didn’t mention was that 2 of the birds and the eagle were on the back nine. So potentially 4 under (35) on that side. Not- a 41 because of all the 5,6,7’s on the other 6 holes. Maybe deserves a beer out of sympathy, but no pat on the back.

What I didn’t mention was that 2 of the birds and the eagle were on the back nine. So potentially 4 under (35) on that side. Not- a 41 because of all the 5,6,7’s on the other 6 holes. Maybe deserves a beer out of sympathy, but no pat on the back.

You’ll have to buy me a beer too then. Last round, short par 5 into the wind (15-20mph). Playing it as a 3 shot hole, I hit (and blasted) a 4i off the tee. Was still roughly 250 so told dad I was going to lay up. Blasted another 4i to the front right (full disclosure, probably carried it 220 but was right enough to take advantage of a hill). On in two on a 500ish yard par 5 into the wind with 2 4i’s. Lovely!

4 putted from 130 ft to the back left hole location. There literally wasn’t enough green right for me to keep it on the green let alone get to the hole with the way the green slopes and the speed it was running. If I was a pro I’d have chipped my eagle putt but I won’t do that on a green unless I’m in a tournament.

Shot an 89 with over 40 putts and I chipped in 2x. I’m about done with that course though. The greens are rediclous and we’re designed in the mid 90’s when they probably ran about an 8. Now they have them running about a 12 and it’s just pure dumba** luck when you make a putt. The last three times I’ve played there I’ve had over 40 putts. I’m not a great or even good putter, but that is just rediculous when I average 31-32 putts. Beautiful course, stupid dumb tricked up greens make it not even fun. I should have been mid 70’s on the day. High 70’s at worst. I struck the ball great. Made a couple putts and chipped in 2x. I never chip in 2x. I didn’t count my putts other than to know I had over 40 in 16 holes (including 2 that werent putts because they were from the fringe after I putted off of the stupid green).

Back