Should my driver lie angle be the same as my irons?

ShanksaloT

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
13 WHS
Hey guys and gals,

Last May I was fit into a set of irons and wedges at 2* upright. Typical ball flight is straight or with a small cut/fade.

I was recently fit into a Taylormade M1 10.5* adjusted to 12* - yesterday I was cleaning my driver and took it out of its hosel and noticed it wasn't adjusted to the "upright" setting as stated on the sleeve.

Now my miss with my driver flight is very high as it is but typically it will trail off to the right side of the fairway (a slice is my miss).

My question is - should my driver lie angle also be 2* upright? As per the fitting chart included with the wrench if adjusted to the "upright" setting it would sit at a 60* lie angle and at my current setting it is at 57.25*

Am I looking to much into this? Will a .75* increase in lie angle straighten the ball flight out more?

Thanks for all your input in advance!

-Ryan :act-up:

I'd say the best thing to do would be just test it to see if it works for you. I play my M1 in the upright setting and my ball flight will be anywhere from fading a couple yards at most to a hook at worst, essentially the right side isn't in play for me.

I think at .75º it will make a slight difference but I doubt it won't dramatically change ball flight.

I'd say the best thing to do would be just test it to see if it works for you. I play my M1 in the upright setting and my ball flight will be anywhere from fading a couple yards at most to a hook at worst, essentially the right side isn't in play for me.

Thanks for the reply - so essentially you are playing the club at 10.5* and 2* upright, correct?

Thanks for the reply - so essentially you are playing the club at 10.5* and 2* upright, correct?

According to the tuning guide 56º is the standard, so at 10.5º upright is 60º so that would be 4º upright. I play my irons at standard but the website shows those range from 61º to 64º. My hybrid is 58.5º and I draw it, my fairway is 57º and it is the most likely club of mine to leak right. I may try that in upright to see if that changes at all.

It's very rare for me to see a left to right flight with my driver. If I hook it it has more to do with a poor swing, coming over the top with a closed face, than the lie angle. At 60º it might be a touch too upright for me , but at 56º it was more of a problem being too flat if that makes sense.

This is an interesting video to watch on how extreme lie angle changes can effect ball flight. At .75º you should see near as big a difference.

[video=youtube;6pK-e43fXZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pK-e43fXZs[/video]

According to the tuning guide 56º is the standard, so at 10.5º upright is 60º so that would be 4º upright. I play my irons at standard but the website shows those range from 61º to 64º. My hybrid is 58.5º and I draw it, my fairway is 57º and it is the most likely club of mine to leak right. I may try that in upright to see if that changes at all.

It's very rare for me to see a left to right flight with my driver. If I hook it it has more to do with a poor swing, coming over the top with a closed face, than the lie angle. At 60º it might be a touch too upright for me , but at 56º it was more of a problem being too flat if that makes sense.

This is an interesting video to watch on how extreme lie angle changes can effect ball flight. At .75º you should see near as big a difference.

[video=youtube;6pK-e43fXZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pK-e43fXZs[/video]

Very interesting - I am going to play it at "upright" (60*) and at 10.5*

AS for the other 2 weights in the "T-Track" - how are you playing those? I play the front one about 2 notches towards the heel and the back weight 1 notch closer to the face.

Very interesting - I am going to play it at "upright" (60*) and at 10.5*

AS for the other 2 weights in the "T-Track" - how are you playing those? I play the front one about 2 notches towards the heel and the back weight 1 notch closer to the face.

If you are looking to keep a higher loft in upright it will still increase the lie angle, just not as much. For example 12º upright would have a lie angle of 58.5º. Only way I think you would be able to tell what works best is testing it.

I have the front weight in the center, and the back weight all the way back. I actually haven't tried moving either weights, I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I knew that getting fitted was important but that video really has me convinced to get off my duff and down to the golf shop. Thanks!

If you are looking to keep a higher loft in upright it will still increase the lie angle, just not as much. For example 12º upright would have a lie angle of 58.5º. Only way I think you would be able to tell what works best is testing it.

I have the front weight in the center, and the back weight all the way back. I actually haven't tried moving either weights, I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I think the back sliding weight will help get the ball in the air for me as right now it is close to the front....

Excited to test this out this weekend.

It won't fix a slice and it won't fix bad shots but I hope you are able to find the setting that works best for you. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I think the general consensus among teaching pros is that lie angle is much less important in the driver than in other clubs because it's not interacting with the turf.

It's primarily going to affect how you set up to the ball assuming you ground the club the same every time. If you were fit for the driver at 12* and upright, you are probably fine and should look at swing/grip/set up adjustments to correct that excessive fade miss.

And in all fairness I place a lot of weight on having the correct club/shaft/grip, this is just one of those cases where the specific adjustment in question will mean little difference if any.

I think the general consensus among teaching pros is that lie angle is much less important in the driver than in other clubs because it's not interacting with the turf.

It's primarily going to affect how you set up to the ball assuming you ground the club the same every time. If you were fit for the driver at 12* and upright, you are probably fine and should look at swing/grip/set up adjustments to correct that excessive fade miss.

And in all fairness I place a lot of weight on having the correct club/shaft/grip, this is just one of those cases where the specific adjustment in question will mean little difference if any.

Thanks!

This exactly. The less loft the club has the less the lie angle matters as well. A driver missed left or right is much more likely to be caused by swing path or an open/shut face at impact. Lie angle is fairly negligible in comparison.

Back