wkndwarrior

Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
So, my twosome was paired up with another twosome of pretty darn good players, both upwards of 60. At the turn we were talking about hybrids and I asked one guy about the club he used on an earlier 186-yard Par 3. Get this, under his Callaway hybrid headcover, he pulled out a 23* Orlimar Trimetal w/ KBS Hybrid Shaft which he said was cut to 38.75" to match the specs of his set's 4i. What? His shot had the perfect trajectory, hit the green and just stopped, making a deep divot. I asked him if I had a shot on the back 9 where I needed my current 4H, could I use his club and he said "hell yeah".
Turns out I needed it on #11 and it was on. I was 194 away from the pin but you want to stay below the hole due to the incline of the green. I was looking for 185-190 which would be a full swing with my 4H. I took a few practice swings and the club truly felt awesome. End result, no divot on swing (my bad) and the ball flew straight as possible and stopped dead at 198. Luck? Maybe but my 4H is 39.5" and tends to travel a bit lower than his makeshift hybrid, and doubt I could hit mine 2 yards shy of 200 yards. Who knew? I'm far from being a "gear head" but this was totally enlightening. He told me, while the Trimetal is technically a wood, it's hosel is .370 and the head's small and shallow, "perfect for a hybrid and 20 years later, it's the same size as many modern-day hybrids."
I might be on the hunt for a 23* and 19* Orlimar Trimetal and some KBS hybrid shafts - lol. What a great game this is.

It's fun when it works!!

Back