The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to the range Saturday. Hit about 200 balls. Worked hard on flighting my irons low. These irons just do not want to fly low. Resigned myself to having to take more club and swing smoother to get the effect I was looking for. I felt pretty comfortable by the end of the session but will keep working. Spent the last 50 balls simulating a round, that's my favorite range game.

Sunday I went to a local course with a really good practice facility and spent an hour hitting shots from 40 and in with different clubs. Then about 30 minutes putting. All in all a good productive weekend.

Meeting schedule screwed up my lunch break so only had 30 mins to hit the range. It was a little wet and drizzling but nothing that was going to hinder hitting balls.

hit 10 balls with 54* to a target about 55 yds away. 7/10 landed on the "green" within 6' of the pin. 2 a little lomg and 1 about 1' short.

hit 20 balls with my pw to work on a drill of playing a 60 yd pitch but hitting it as far as possible which is about 90-100yds! With goal of working on a drill arms extending instead of going around me and hooking the ball. Hit the 100yd sign once and kept most of the balls within a 5 yd radius of the sign.

Hit 15 shots with 7i to take the pw drill into my full swing and work on weight shift, getting arms in front of me instead of stuck on downswing. I was rushing thru this section a little bit but on the last 7 I slowed back down and started hitting the shot shape I was looking for. Then hit a few hybrids and saw similar results as with 7i.

last 10 balls were with driver and hit some pulls, pushes and a couple of good drives. This is one area I'm going to work on in my next lesson which will hopefully be later this week.

Meeting schedule screwed up my lunch break so only had 30 mins to hit the range. It was a little wet and drizzling but nothing that was going to hinder hitting balls.

hit 10 balls with 54* to a target about 55 yds away. 7/10 landed on the "green" within 6' of the pin. 2 a little lomg and 1 about 1' short.

hit 20 balls with my pw to work on a drill of playing a 60 yd pitch but hitting it as far as possible which is about 90-100yds! With goal of working on a drill arms extending instead of going around me and hooking the ball. Hit the 100yd sign once and kept most of the balls within a 5 yd radius of the sign.

Hit 15 shots with 7i to take the pw drill into my full swing and work on weight shift, getting arms in front of me instead of stuck on downswing. I was rushing thru this section a little bit but on the last 7 I slowed back down and started hitting the shot shape I was looking for. Then hit a few hybrids and saw similar results as with 7i.

last 10 balls were with driver and hit some pulls, pushes and a couple of good drives. This is one area I'm going to work on in my next lesson which will hopefully be later this week.

Sounds like you are getting that short game dialed in. Awesome.

Sounds like you are getting that short game dialed in. Awesome.

that's my goal again this year. The 55-60 yd shot is feeling confident. I wanted to split my time between iron swing work and 50-80 yds with my wedges but didn't have the time. Will be something that becomes focus in my lessons soon to.

Got to spend more time on my tempo! It's a little ragged right now!!

Hitting the range tonight. Gonna further lock in flighting balls, and hitting PW - LW different distances. I really like "seeing" those type shots, and was able to see some of the work there rewarded Saturday during the round - now I'm getting greedy haha. Probably will only hit a few full shots - just to stay in a groove. Don't want to over do it - which in the past I definitely have done! Time for a massage & a visit to the chiro later this week as well.

that's my goal again this year. The 55-60 yd shot is feeling confident. I wanted to split my time between iron swing work and 50-80 yds with my wedges but didn't have the time. Will be something that becomes focus in my lessons soon to.

Having that 60 yard shot in your bag is a gift. Some days I'm money, other days it's a struggle. I practice that shot a lot too. That's a shot I try and hit low if the conditions are right. You have a great work ethic dude, it's inspiring.

Played with T2GRN and EMART on Saturday and got caught up trying to hit the ball as hard and far as they do. That isn't going to happen. Went back Sunday to hit some balls and get my normal swing back. It seemed to work after a while. I'm too old to try that but I did. It wasn't pretty by the way!!!

I haven't had the pleasure to have them in my group yet, but I know I'll be a good 50, 60 yards behind them. Getting used to that though playing with my son. Just means my short game & putting will have to be spot on.

Having that 60 yard shot in your bag is a gift. Some days I'm money, other days it's a struggle. I practice that shot a lot too. That's a shot I try and hit low if the conditions are right. You have a great work ethic dude, it's inspiring.

the 60 yd shot is one I started working in two years ago and really started to get dialed in last year. The 60-70 yd range was a distance I was leaving myself with a lot based on poor course/hole mgmt and struggled with scoring from there.

Now that my course management and approach to holes has improved it's a distance that if need be I don't mind leaving myself with.

thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to be like you since I'm not long off the tee either.

the 60 yd shot is one I started working in two years ago and really started to get dialed in last year. The 60-70 yd range was a distance I was leaving myself with a lot based on poor course/hole mgmt and struggled with scoring from there.

Now that my course management and approach to holes has improved it's a distance that if need be I don't mind leaving myself with.

thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to be like you since I'm not long off the tee either.

Length is over rated:wink:. Just kidding, just kidding.

Got to the range this morning to work on a few things from yesterday's round. I think I have found part of my problem. I either need to change out my grips or they really need a good cleaning. I am just having issues with grip pressure. I feel I need to grip the clubs way more than usual, or they will slip out. I think I will get then cleaned up tonight.

I hit a small bucket today. Really focusing on my irons. Hit it ok just need to keep on working on my takeaway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple times Saturday I know the shot I needed to play, and chose a different shot. I wasn't confident enough to attempt it. Case in point was on 18. Played it safe with the first ball. Dropped the second ball and stick it close. I've just got to keep working on it and build the confidence.

I haven't had the pleasure to have them in my group yet, but I know I'll be a good 50, 60 yards behind them. Getting used to that though playing with my son. Just means my short game & putting will have to be spot on.

Soon dude, we will get it going.

A couple times Saturday I know the shot I needed to play, and chose a different shot. I wasn't confident enough to attempt it. Case in point was on 18. Played it safe with the first ball. Dropped the second ball and stick it close. I've just got to keep working on it and build the confidence.

The second ball was perfectly executed.

Didn't seem to be a confidence issue to me. It seemed like you were in practice mode, trying different things! Just a thought!

Didn't seem to be a confidence issue to me. It seemed like you were in practice mode, trying different things! Just a thought!

I have been working on that one hop and stop kind of shot on the range. The lack of confidence came from not trusting it. Story of my game sometimes. Trusting it.

Knee's feeling better so I hit a few balls yesterday. Full swings felt good, I just have to remember not to rush the downswing. I spent half the time hitting 3/4 and 1/2 swings with the wedges, I'm starting to get a good feel for those shots.

Gearing up for a new season after a long layoff and going to focus on full iron swings and then maybe full wood swings. I've noticed that trying partial swings too early can mess up my full swing. Anyone else notice that?

I just had what was possibly the best range session of my life. 100 balls with zero poor swings, zero big misses, and it was a freaking ton of fun. If they weren't turning out the lights I would have stayed all night lol. Played a few rounds mentally around a local track that I'm playing a tournament at next weekend and got in a real groove. I know it was an out of body experience when I nutted every 5 iron I hit...that's just not me.

Some folks here can attest to the fact that I am terrible on the range. My problem in the range is lack of focus and just hitting ball after ball without intent.

I would suggest that you develop a practice plan. This would start off with block drills such as one arm swings. These help you with feels and techniques. Then random practice. This would be hitting different distances or targets never the same club. And then play some games such as 3 balls on the chipping green and then putting them out trying to save par. Then move to a new spot. Do this for 6 locations using par for total score. Spend 10 to 20 percent on the block practice and games and 60 to 80 percent on the random practice.

Hit the "grass" section of a local range today (I call it "grass" because it's green, technically it grows, but aside from that...) and broke out my new-to-me Speedblades to continue to work on what I got at my last lesson. Backswing turn into right thigh, downswing starts with left hip, relaxed forearms and wrists to allow the clubhead to release.

I hit some OK shots bouncing around the bag, bad shots were thin but straight which I'll take over a wipey fade. Usually I really try and focus on keeping my left arm straight throughout the swing, which does add some tension. So after maybe 20 balls or so I decided to not think about that, just focus on a full turn in the backswing, and let my arms do whatever to stay relaxed.

I proceeded to hit some of the highest, farthest 6 irons I've ever hit in my life. Grabbed the driver - dead straight. 230 yards. Great trajectory. 5 balls in a row before I pushed one. I noticed starting the downswing with my hip & weight shift felt so much easier by not forcing that straight left arm and the tension that introduced.

After the driver I went back to alternating irons, still hit some thin but I was seeing far more consistent height and distance. Don't know how much of that was the irons & how much of that was staying relaxed and not forcing that straight lead arm on the backswing, but it worked for the bucket. Hopefully I can get back out tomorrow in between the 3 meetings I have and try it out some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 9 then hit the range. Driver was great, hit all fairways with it.

Long Irons and hybrids are still my downfall right now. Went to the range and tweaked my grip a bit and it helped. I'll keep practicing till I'm back to making solid contact.

Been lucky enough to get out a LOT this week, and I have never been this happy about my game this early in the year before.

My irons and wedges are SO much better since my lesson with my new pro, major focus on not sucking the club back inside and also turning to get my left shoulder over my right toe (or feel like it to make sure I shift the weight back), from there its a hip bump and swinging to right field with a MUCH more deliberate tempo overall. The results are stellar, I've added distance with my irons, and I can actually hit draws AND fades now. The last 3-4 days I have hit some just filthy shots at flagsticks.

Not, its still a process as I revert form time to time, I usually know immediately on the way back that "that felt way too comfortable" which tells me I'm back inside and wrong. Also, I'm battling trusting this sequence/move with the driver and fairways and really feel like I'm just holding on for dear life to keep it in play at times knowing I can recover with my irons if I let me. Its mostly tempo related with the long clubs still as I rush from the top and it gets shoulders and lower moving at the same time, but when I do it right and my lower starts the swing its just MASSIVE. So I know its there, its jut trusting it.

Its going to be a great year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back