Fairway preference

What is this "fairway" thing of which you speak?

It’s that nice looking grass you walk across between your 2nd and 3rd shot. And 3rd and 4th. Darn decent of courses to keep our walking lane looking nice.

I don't think of tight and firm as the same. Like here, I'd call it fluffy-ish and firm, generally. Which is what I think I prefer over tight and firm. Not a fan of fluffy and soft. And from the little I can tell where we're moving is a weird combination of really tight, but soft. Which I think will take some getting used to.

I like it firm and somewhere in the middle between tight and shaggy. Too tight and it's like hitting off hardpan, too shaggy and it's like hitting out of the rough.

Zoysia!!! It’s light and fluffy, but at the same time the balls sits up on it like it’s on a tee. So easy to play on. Bermuda is fun too though with really easy turf interaction and beaver pelt divots.

But overall, definitely the soft fluffy lies are my preference. I’m not super steep, but I definitely see some turf interaction and on firmer lies it can take a toll on the joints.

^ THIS ^

I prefer the fluffy fairways... help me get the ball contact where I want it. I’m definitely working on less picking of the ball, but it’s a slow process.

Soft and fluffy sounds nice! Mown tight fairways give me a bad vision and usually results in thinned shots. It's definitely a mental block.

The only thing I require from a fairway is that it be divot friendly. By that I mean, if I need to take a divot, I don't have to worry about breaking something. Luckily, I am more of a "picker" of the ball from fairway lies.

I suppose if I had to pick one, I would go with firmer, shorter cut fairways. Cleaner lies tend to help with generating maximum back spin imo.

Either way is fine! As long as it is consistent. I like a little bit of grass but the long blades are tough to hit through.

Fairway condition doesn't affect my game much. I tend to play from other areas.

I'm used to hitting of the mat, so a tight lie is great. Love the summer months.

What exactly is a fairway?

Another vote for Texas hardpan.

Firm for me. My usual miss is fat and the firmer the fairway is, the less the punishment.

Range mats would make the game so much easier.

Before long in my area many of the fairways will get hard as the ground dries, and if you make a divot you might break an arm. The height of the grass helps some, but not all that much. That is why I stay in the rough most of the time so I have softer shots :ROFLMAO:

I prefer harder fairways... it gives me roll out that I'd not normally get. For me distance is good. I don't have too much issue moving the ball with my fairway woods... it might not be as far as I'd like but harder fairways help give me that. If there's a bit of fluff to help my ball sit up just a touch, that's good... if not, I don't normally take a divot so no biggie.

Favorite type of fairways? Dry. Dry. Dry. Dry. Dry....dry.....dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Sick and tired of walking down a sponge and hitting off a peat moss bog after spinning back a driver a foot.

Tight and firm, but in a links golf kinda way rather than a goat track!

A true links course will be tight and firm, but with a slight spongey-ness that is hard to explain, that means you can still take a proper divot.

I like the grass to be cut short, but still nice and perky. I cant spin the ball anyways so might as well put it on a tee.

I prefer tight firm. Maybe because I find the rough more often than not.

Any fairway is fine for me. If I am on fairway, I am having a good round. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I second OP. I will add I like firmer fairways as i'll get more roll-out on my tee shots. Always nice top a drive every once and a while :eek:

I could go either or. For irons and fairways, I'll take a slightly fluffier lie. But, for example, a short par 4 that I went for in 1 and missed and my next shot is a chip shot, I'll take a tight firm lie. I love hitting chipshots off tight lies, I feel like i can just clip the ball and get hella spin.

I like a moderate degree of firmness and mowed tight - soft enough to take a divot but the grass mowed tight and smooth so as not to have mini depressions the ball can settle in. Fairways too soft and grass too long robs one of roll and thus distance off the tee.

Back