Fairway preference

I like a moderate degree of firmness and mowed tight - soft enough to take a divot but the grass mowed tight and smooth so as not to have mini depressions the ball can settle in. Fairways too soft and grass too long robs one of roll and thus distance off the tee.
Never really thought about that... you're right. Don't want that robbing distance

Never really thought about that... you're right. Don't want that robbing distance
I belong to a course that is basically a links-style course with very few trees and even fewer that come into play. As such, it should play hard and fast. The old superintendent tended to saturate the course thinking water was the answer to everything and kept the fairways long. The GM, who had no control over course maintenance and was a very good golfer in his own right, was of the opinion that the soft conditions combined with the height of the fairway grass made the course play about 300 yards longer than the scorecard indicated. Waiting to see what the new super does in regard to water and grass height as we move into late Spring and Summer.

I belong to a course that is basically a links-style course with very few trees and even fewer that come into play. As such, it should play hard and fast. The old superintendent tended to saturate the course thinking water was the answer to everything and kept the fairways long. The GM, who had no control over course maintenance and was a very good golfer in his own right, was of the opinion that the soft conditions combined with the height of the fairway grass made the course play about 300 yards longer than the scorecard indicated. Waiting to see what the new super does in regard to water and grass height as we move into late Spring and Summer.
Yep, longer rough and fairways coupled with softer landing areas makes a course longer. They're progressive! Roll back the ball!!

Back