Low spin vs more spin in drivers

gr8dryv

Big Boned
Reaction score
Handicap
Job & Kids
OK, color me confused. The last couple of years, manufacturers have been promoting lower spin but now I'm seeing info that allows adjustability for more spin. Which one is it and why would you want one vs the other? In my mind, I hear spin and I think slice or hook.

I think rather than thinking of it as more or less spin, it's probably better to think of it as optimal spin for your swing. Some people will need to take some off, some people need to put some on.

I think rather than thinking of it as more or less spin, it's probably better to think of it as optimal spin for your swing. Some people will need to take some off, some people need to put some on.
Exactly. Not all benefit from low spin and not all benefit from High spin.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OK, color me confused. The last couple of years, manufacturers have been promoting lower spin but now I'm seeing info that allows adjustability for more spin. Which one is it and why would you want one vs the other? In my mind, I hear spin and I think slice or hook.

i may be wrong, but i don't think you're totally off-base in thinking too much spin can exacerbate a miss.

but when we talk about spin in drivers, i think we are talking about something that affects launch and carry. again, i maybe completely wrong about this. i know for me, i don't generate much spin. i'm routinely sub 2k. but i also don't swing fast enough or launch the ball high enough to enjoy the distance benefits of lower spin. so i need spin to keep my ball in the air. it's why i'm playing what is probably considered to be a spinny combo in my driver. what is fortunate for me is that i don't tend to hit the ball too far offline when i'm swinging well. if i did have a big miss, it would be a tough balance between maximizing carry but minimizing the miss.

Is it safe to assume that a higher swing speed would benefit from less spin and a lower lofted driver? I'd like to look at drivers but if knowing that a certain segment of designs don't fall into my needs, it'd help with narrowing down the focus. Or do I just stop the voices in my head by going to a qualified fitter. OK, I think I just answered my own question.

I like this response.

Rob - get fit probably make more sense then.

Is it safe to assume that a higher swing speed would benefit from less spin and a lower lofted driver? I'd like to look at drivers but if knowing that a certain segment of designs don't fall into my needs, it'd help with narrowing down the focus. Or do I just stop the voices in my head by going to a qualified fitter. OK, I think I just answered my own question.

I'd say there are no absolutes - my swing speed has increased over the last year, but I'm putting less spin on the ball due to delivery. I'd agree with you - I'd say the best bet will be to get fit. You might end up being surprised at what you're put into.

Getting fit makes the most sense. Some people search for the least amount of spin, but to little spin can be just as bad as to much spin. You need to find your own personal sweet spot with launch, spin, the whole works.

Too much *side* spin is an issue because it accentuates a miss. Too much back steals distance but usually keeps a ball going straight, since the ball cannot spin in too different directions. At the same time, too little back spin and the ball will have a harder time staying in the air, without higher launch. It's a balancing act really, but with all of the options available, it isn't impossible to find a head+shaft combination that optimizes your swing.

The lower you launch the ball and slower your swing is, the more spin you need. When you start to launch too high and balls aren't rolling out, you might have too much spin.

Listen to the THP Radio show with TO to hear this very topic discussed.

The more low spin the driver the higher the loft I need to keep it in the air!

Back