Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Time for a new thread!

In for review to THP's Oklahoma office, is one I'm definitely intrigued by, and so are a lot of others out there it seems, the new Mizuno ST190 3W.

I received the 15.0 standard ST190 (not the Tour Spoon) and as the ST190 uses the Quick Switch Adaptor, the only other loft option is the 18.0 model. The 3W has a 175cc size and measures at 43", stock shaft options are the Fujikura Atmos Red and Atmos Blue shafts, for the review I have the 6S in Blue.

Information from Mizuno:

A deeper, powerful fairway wood – combining a high energy HT1770 Maraging Steel face and lower spin chassis. Engineered using Mizuno’s amplified Wave soleplate and carbon composite crown.

• Shock Wave Sole: Widens COR Area to the bottom on the face
  • 1770 Maraging Face: An extremely strong steel allows for a thin, hot face for higher initial ball speed and overall distance
  • Quick Switch Adaptor: Defined loft/lie settings to aid in launch optimization

In-Hand Images:

DSC00232-XL.jpg

DSC00234%20%281%29-XL.jpg

DSC00220-XL.jpg

DSC00224-XL.jpg

DSC00226-XL.jpg

DSC00228-XL.jpg

The Mizuno driver and fairway woods are the best looking woods out right now!

Look forward to your thoughts in the Mizuno st190 3w!

Please dont tell me it is better than G410, I am not sure my wallet can take it. Lol.

Look forward to your review James, as always terrific photos.

That face looks deeeeep. Look forward to your thoughts Jman

• Staff
Little morning bump.

Those pictures....wowza

• Staff
she is pretty, but those photos really make it pop! it's cool to see so much buzz for mizuno's woods. we all benefit from healthy competition.

Glad you guys are excited, I'm hoping to get some early swings with it today as it looks like the weather will allow it!

Since I have one, the pics are awesome but when you hold one, it's like WOW LOL

Since I have one, the pics are awesome but when you hold one, it's like WOW LOL

Yes, holding one is like WOW. For me, hitting one elicits the same response. I've now played 6 rounds with my ST 190 fairways, and I've "skulled" literally just one shot. Otherwise, off the turf, every shot has been relatively straight, and for me, long. The only issue I've run into as yet is that every once and awhile, I'll hit a fairly heavy draw when I'm hitting off the tee with either the 3 or the 5. Nothing too serious since I always try to aim them down the center or center right. But I'd be disingenuous to claim I hit every shot with them dead straight. Even with the occasional drawn tee shot, I love these sticks!

I'm anxious to see what you find with them, Jman.

Have had my ST190, ATMOS Blue 6S for a month now. Absolutely love it. Haven’t been successful with 3Ws in recent years. My typical 3W distance is 195-200 yards. Was looking for one to launch it down the fairway from either the tee or the turf.
This club, for me, is definitely that.
Yesterday’s examples. Hit it three times. Off the tee, narrow fairway, found center, 210 yards. 2nd shot par five, 230 out, draw around tree, rolled up onto the green. Holy C***. Eagle try. 2nd shot par five from right trees. Tried to bend it left to right. Went straight but a good 200 yards off a bare dirt lie.
Based on the number of rounds played with itso far. 80% positive results. 20% idiot error.
Love it and it does instill tons of confidence. Definitely look for opportunities to hit it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like the look of that one. Hope it performs, Mizuno could use some more metal woods success.

Heyooooooooo!

Despite the PLAGUE working through my household and me basically being a single parent to three all week, I did get to hit this a few times earlier this week.

1) The looks are as you see in my pics, its legit. Super clean look, fits right in with the carbon fiber fade we are seeing and have seen elsewhere for a while now and the decision to move from the blue facilitates that. I like the black, a lot. Plus, the profile size is really good, not oversized at all, but its got a pretty deep face on it.

2) Sound at impact is much more metallic than I expected with the crown. Simple, sharpish, tink on middle impact. Not loud, no echo, no hollowness, but definitely on the metallic side.

3) Surprised at how easy its been to hit off the deck and I have actually hit it more there than from the tee. No LM numbers yet, but with the Atmos Blue 6S I'm still seeing mid-high flight, form both, and what I would surmise as probably going to be lower spin than I expected.

More soon I hope, the plague is clearing and the sun is starting to shine!

Heyooooooooo!

Despite the PLAGUE working through my household and me basically being a single parent to three all week, I did get to hit this a few times earlier this week.

1) The looks are as you see in my pics, its legit. Super clean look, fits right in with the carbon fiber fade we are seeing and have seen elsewhere for a while now and the decision to move from the blue facilitates that. I like the black, a lot. Plus, the profile size is really good, not oversized at all, but its got a pretty deep face on it.

2) Sound at impact is much more metallic than I expected with the crown. Simple, sharpish, tink on middle impact. Not loud, no echo, no hollowness, but definitely on the metallic side.

3) Surprised at how easy its been to hit off the deck and I have actually hit it more there than from the tee. No LM numbers yet, but with the Atmos Blue 6S I'm still seeing mid-high flight, form both, and what I would surmise as probably going to be lower spin than I expected.

More soon I hope, the plague is clearing and the sun is starting to shine!

I've seen the same thing, Jman. These babies are easy to hit off the deck. I expected that with my 5 wood, but have been pleasantly surprised that I get the same with the 3 wood.

Since the plague is clearing, are we now required to address you as Dr. Jman?

Last edited:
So, I’ve finally been able to start getting some time with this one and I’m impressed.

Still surprised at the sound given the amount of CF in the crown, but again, it’s not loud, just a nice crisp metallic undertone at impact.

In the stock setup I’m seeing as of this week 14 degrees of launch and the one monitor session I got has the spin in the 3100 range. Not bad at all given where my swing has been the past few weeks.

I’ll add, the distance is good, and the flight is crisp to the apex which I love seeing in a 3w. It’s honestly toe to toe distance wise with the fairways I’ve played the past year in total distance which is a compliment to the ST190. It’s also no surprise though because I think in the last release the fairway was the gem for Mizuno, and their wave sole works really damn well.

Biggest surprise for me so far? Elevation off the deck. This one is easy to get up off the turf to what I’d call a solid mid to mid-high apex for me making it pretty versatile.

I’m impressed so far. Plus, it’s just a MEAN looking fairway. I don’t think it’s going to be the most forgiving out there given the design and footprint, but so far it’s got a balanced mix of forgiveness and playability which might just cover a wide gamut of demands.

Thanks for the update will have to give it a few swings to see how she works.

Bumping this one, got out to hit a few when we got back from our tournament and it’s still an easy launcher for me.

Hoping to do some head to heads with my gamer this week!

The face is wearing a little more than I expected, I’ll try to get a couple pics of that when I get out today.

That said, I keep being surprised by the ability to elevate it off the deck given the deep face on it.

Forgiveness wise, it’s not the most forgiving I’ve played but it’s been pretty kind to my recent heel miss, more than I thought it would be for sure. I do think the power wave sole does a really good job there though, plus, weight placement obviously has the MOI in a place that’s keeps by playability in a really balanced spot.

The face is wearing a little more than I expected, I’ll try to get a couple pics of that when I get out today.

I agree. After a month I’m seeing a bit more wear as well. I imagine by the end of the season, it’ll look pretty battle tested. My hybrids look the same way. I guess that’s the price you pay for a dark faced club.

I agree. After a month I’m seeing a bit more wear as well. I imagine by the end of the season, it’ll look pretty battle tested. My hybrids look the same way. I guess that’s the price you pay for a dark faced club.

You know, once upon a time I would have agreed, but I have several others that have a LOT of shots on them and the wear even after a season was minimal...and I play a LOT of golf.

True. But I’m sure you’re hitting from nice plush fairways. Hitting off bare dirt under trees and out of fairway bunkers tend to promote wear. LOL.
Hefner, Earlywine, and even Trosper were always nicer fairways than what I typically play here. ;-)

Back