So the Cobra F9 is arguably the most discussed driver, but...

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Played 18 holes yesterday and one of my playing partners was a young lady that recently got a Cobra F9 with a women's shaft... I'm guessing it was in the 40 gram range. I'm a senior (71 years old) and she offered to let me hit it on one hole. We measured the length and it is exactly the same as my Rogue draw driver - 44 inches.

I hit my Rogue first (senior shaft) and felt like I hit the sweet spot which gave me maximum distance... around 200+ yards. I next hit her F9 and once again, I hit it flush. It was a couple yards short of my Rogue. A little surprised by that, but I guess the shaft could account for that difference. Both of them were pretty straight so dispersion differences were negligible.

After she hit her driver, I asked her to hit my Rogue. To our surprise, she hit my Rogue a good 10 yards further than her F9. Not sure of the distance, but the F9 was well behind the Rogue. That really surprised her because she passed over the new Callaway driver and went to the Cobra.

I know she did not get fit for the F9 and she's probably 5' 10" and was previously hitting her Callaway Fusion on average about 160 yards.

I suggested that she hit both the Fusion and F9 at a driving range and see if she got her money's worth with the F9. I'm thinking that the shaft might be hurting her and she may in fact need a slightly heavier shaft. Anything else she should consider?

We're going out Saturday again and play to do the same thing again just to make sure it wasn't a one off.

Way too many variables involved to really take anything away from one swing with each.

Way too many variables involved to really take anything away from one swing with each.

Agreed. You guys could swap drivers and both hit the F9 further on the next swings. Then the Rogue on the next.

I second/third what the others have said. One or two swings is much too small of a sample size from which to draw any real conclusions.

Also, I think the difference distances could definitely be shaft/setups-related, as acknowledged by the OP, although 10 yards is significant, relative to the distances of the drives being discussed. No one club fits all. That’s for sure.

The other ugly truth is that both the Rogue and F9 are great drivers. I’d recommend either to friends as long as they hit it well and it makes them happy!

lofts the same?

shafts the same?

strikes and delivery the same?

same golf balls?

on and on and on.

fwiw the women's shaft is 50 grams. and it's awesome!

Maybe there was a gust of wind, or a hard bounce.

Never second guess a purchase based on 1 swing on a course. Sooo many variables.

If she hit it well and was happy before, why overthink it now?
Plus don't forget - pure distance isn't everything. (Gotta look at spin, carry, consistency, bad hits too)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Maybe there was a gust of wind, or a hard bounce.

Never second guess a purchase based on 1 swing on a course. Sooo many variables.

If she hit it well and was happy before, why overthink it now?
Plus don't forget - pure distance isn't everything. (Gotta look at spin, carry, consistency, bad hits too)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

As well as the golf ball itself. I am not saying the ball will add 10 yards, but I certainly hit certain golf balls father than others by a noticeable degree.

That said, both are very good drivers.

Both are good drivers - tough apples to apples comparison based on the OP

Actually going to be comparing the same two drivers this year myself.

As others have said here, way too many variables in play to give definitive answers.

Played 18 holes yesterday and one of my playing partners was a young lady that recently got a Cobra F9 with a women's shaft... I'm guessing it was in the 40 gram range. I'm a senior (71 years old) and she offered to let me hit it on one hole. We measured the length and it is exactly the same as my Rogue draw driver - 44 inches.

I hit my Rogue first (senior shaft) and felt like I hit the sweet spot which gave me maximum distance... around 200+ yards. I next hit her F9 and once again, I hit it flush. It was a couple yards short of my Rogue. A little surprised by that, but I guess the shaft could account for that difference. Both of them were pretty straight so dispersion differences were negligible.

After she hit her driver, I asked her to hit my Rogue. To our surprise, she hit my Rogue a good 10 yards further than her F9. Not sure of the distance, but the F9 was well behind the Rogue. That really surprised her because she passed over the new Callaway driver and went to the Cobra.

I know she did not get fit for the F9 and she's probably 5' 10" and was previously hitting her Callaway Fusion on average about 160 yards.

I suggested that she hit both the Fusion and F9 at a driving range and see if she got her money's worth with the F9. I'm thinking that the shaft might be hurting her and she may in fact need a slightly heavier shaft. Anything else she should consider?

We're going out Saturday again and play to do the same thing again just to make sure it wasn't a one off.

What happened next? How did the Callaway or F9 perform next time out?

Honestly, I get it... as many have said so many variables. I can say that there is always the hype vs reality element when it comes to these things. I was fit to a ROGUE with an oban shaft, out comes to the F9 and all the hype, and I’ve been in 3 separate simulators where the F9 (with the stock offerings) fly as far with similar specs to the Rogue. I’m headed to CC next week to see if an F9 dailed in with an exotic shaft can beat it. At the end of the day all of these drivers are friggin amazing

I doubt a Rogue or F9 is going to be so much better or worse than the other that someone should regret purchasing either. I certainly don't think 1 swing should be used to make that decision.

Back