Honeymoon Period With Your Sticks

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
I just got an M1 driver and 3 wood. They're great, but they need some getting used to.

In another post I read that the adjustment period for some of us are almost immediate or some are very short, like one range session or a couple dozen balls. I guess I'm just someone who takes time to get accustomed to his clubs.

What club in your bag takes longest to familiarize with and what is the longest time you had adjusting to it?

Every club for me takes four to five range balls and I'm good to go. Any putter I've ever picked up however takes 5-6 rounds before I'm used to it. And with my propensity to change so often I rarely ever have a putter in the bag that long. So I never am fully comfortable with my putter. I plan on trying to go with one flatstick this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm not comfortable with it or it diesnt do what I want it to when I'm demoing it then I don't buy it. For me my adjustment period is very small once I have it in my possession.

For me new irons take the longest to get comfortable with. I think it comes down to consistency and knowing the distances I can hit each one.

Normally there is pretty much no adjustment time for me, but my new irons are taking a while to bed in, mainly because of the lightweight graphite shafts that I'm gaming for the first time I think.

If I have to adjust to a club, its not the club for me.

honeymoon period means something different for me I guess. That to me is a high infatuation for a set of clubs that goes away after a bad round with them or lost over time.

As for break in period, there really is none for me if the clubs work for me. Might take some time to dial in a solid average distance with them, but in terms of break in, they should work immediately, or they won't work at all.

i really envy people who can pick something up, hit a couple balls, and go play with no issues.

i'm just not that way. i have to game something for a few rounds and maybe a hundred range balls or so before i start feeling truly comfortable.

the adjustment period doesn't mean the gear doesn't work, it just means i have to get over the newness of it.

and i agree with cbaker2882, a honeymoon period to me means that initial spurt of time when i'm madly in love with a club, but that eventually wears off and i realize it's not the bees knees after all.

I don't really need an adjustment period. I can take about 5-10 swings with something and know whether or not I like feel and or ball flight characteristics, and if I do I can bring it to the course and play no problem. Adjustment period may be needed to dial in distances but that's it for me. I recently went to a demo day and told my old man of all the stuff I liked I could game it immediately with no issues. The putter is a different story for me tho. It takes me a bit to get comfortable with a putter.

Honeymoon period to me is the time from when I first bought it to the time it isn't working so well for me anymore. Fortunately for me I'm still in love with the M1 I think it is the best driver I have owned. It didn't take me long to get used to it.

Just like a woman, if I don't like the looks or feel I won't try it out. I can't adjust to a club because of it supposed "performance".

The club i see the most honeymoon period with is the putter. Big changes do well for me when it comes to putting. But for my irons i would say im just now finding my groove with them and ive played about 15 rounds with them. Woods are usually an instant fit if theyre right for me. If i fight a driver or fairway wood at all i usually have no chance at making it work

If I have to adjust to a club, its not the club for me.
I have to agree with this 100%. You should only really have to hit a couple balls with a club to tell if it's the right one for you. Barney Adams one of the most experienced club fitters in the world talks about this all the time. When you are getting fitted or are trying new clubs you should only hit two balls with each club and then move on to the next club. If you hit two bad shots then it's probably not right for you. The reasoning behind this is if you continue to hit balls with that same club you are actually subconsciously adjusting your swing to the club which his not what you want. The club should be fitted to you not the other way around. You can go back to that club later on and hit two more shots, but don't continue to hit it over and over.

I don't personally experience the honeymoon phase with clubs. I think what happens is people buy something new and go to the golf course with a really positive and excited frame of mind. They play a couple rounds and then that affect wears off. Your swing will take over and either the club works for you or it doesn't, which pretty much ties into what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

It depends. Typically I need a round or two to get used to new distances or shape tendencies, but as far as hitting it solidly that's pretty close to immediate. If it's not, there's a problem...I've strung along clubs before and tried to make it work, but it was only delaying the inevitable (I'm looking at you, X2Hot fairway woods).

1 month, ..... may have mistress again , or go back with first wife.

I have to agree with this 100%. You should only really have to hit a couple balls with a club to tell if it's the right one for you. Barney Adams one of the most experienced club fitters in the world talks about this all the time. When you are getting fitted or are trying new clubs you should only hit two balls with each club and then move on to the next club. If you hit two bad shots then it's probably not right for you. The reasoning behind this is if you continue to hit balls with that same club you are actually subconsciously adjusting your swing to the club which his not what you want. The club should be fitted to you not the other way around. You can go back to that club later on and hit two more shots, but don't continue to hit it over and over.

I don't personally experience the honeymoon phase with clubs. I think what happens is people buy something new and go to the golf course with a really positive and excited frame of mind. They play a couple rounds and then that affect wears off. Your swing will take over and either the club works for you or it doesn't, which pretty much ties into what I mentioned in the first paragraph.

The M1's were great during purchase, testing, fitting and range work, it just hasn't translated fully to the golf course.

There are still some issues with consistency on the course, but when I do connect, the results are really, really great.

I got fit for an entirely new bag in January and hit each club exactly the way I would want. Been to the range three times and being an inconsistent ball striker my driver is either carrying 270 or 210... I can't blame the club, but also can't help but wonder what would be if I went with Titleist or Callaway. I'm sure when I get a few rounds under my belt it will all smooth itself out.. I'm happy to see a different ball flight though. At least the ball isn't going right every time now. Buyers remorse? I'll check back in a few weeks.

What I realized this time around on my new Apex Pro 16s is that when I get a new club/set, my immediate unintentional response is to swing harder than usual. This time I caught myself doing it and results were nearly immediate.

I'm of the opinion that one should not have to "break in" clubs.

Back