Effects of temperature and elevation in golf

Big SoIL

Reaction score
Handicap
What say you THP? What are the effects of temperatures and elevation in terms of distance that you’ve found? I did a search but couldn’t really find a dedicated thread so I figured I’d start one up. I assume I’ll see more distance, but just curious if there’s any formulas for each.

The reason I ask is that I’m heading out to Vegas in a few days for the Distance Event with Srixon, conditions are going to be WAY different than what I’ve currently seen. I’ve been doing some work in the off-season to try to gain some distance and while I’ve got an idea where I am at my home course in 50-ish degree temps I have no idea what I’ll see in Vegas at 80-ish degrees and about 2k more feet of elevation. So I’m just trying to get a better idea of what I can expect from the playing conditions ahead of time.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

You'll some distance gains I would think - must be something because my Leupold Range Finder has a option to adjust temp and elevation.

What I was going to guess was around 10% and it looks like based on the above 2 videos that would be about right. I also notice during the summer I can get really lose which helps mid round, but starts to become a hindrance near the end as control can be problematic.

Have no formula or scientific data to share with you, only personal experience. I live North of the Greater Toronto Area in Canada and my average drive is 260 or so. When I was playing in Palm Springs and San Diego, my max distances there were in the 240 range even if I was hitting it pure and centre.

As for temperatures, I can also only comment to the opposite of what you're looking for. When I was a club member and would golf near end of season (October/November) which would see no higher than 50ish degrees farenheit, you'd lose a lot of distance compared to the summer games.

All you need to know is your ball goes far, and might go a little further in Vegas haha.

I just moved to Vegas and need to get out and gather data. :D I think it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it does make. The only thing I ever noticed was sometimes balls felt like rocks when you hit them in the cold.

For Vegas and Phoenix, I'd figure taking about 3-5% off of the yardage. For Flagstaff, AZ or similar elevation, it's a good 10%.

I know there have been a number of articles and info out there that state temperature doesn't have as much affect as we think and that its not really proportional throughout the bag. But I am convinced that it affects distance more as the clubs get longer. On cold days in my experiences there are much more significant loses with driver vs say an 8iron.

I know there have been a number of articles and info out there that state temperature doesn't have as much affect as we think and that its not really proportional throughout the bag. But I am convinced that it affects distance more as the clubs get longer. On cold days in my experiences there are much more significant loses with driver vs say an 8iron.

I think the articles/data are removing the human equation. Cold weather is a different animal when wearing heavy clothing or having a cold body that is moving slower in general.

Because it is more often than not a percentage difference you will see more change in bigger clubs.

eg 10% off 100 yards is 10 yards, 10% of 200 yards is 20 yards.

I live in Colorado Springs. The elevation where I live and play golf is 7,000 ft. I Moved here from Memphis where the elevation is about 600ft. There is approx an 8-10% difference in ball flight. Not as much as most people would think.

there is one thing worth noting as since this thread Ive investigated the whole weather thing (again). That is "atmospheric pressure". I often wonder why (while in similar temps) one day I can seem to get extra length out of everything and yet another day everything seems short. I often chalk it off to simply hitting more purer (better ball striking in general)on some days vs others. That probably holds true plenty of times imo. But there are times when ball striking seems very similar and yet one time Im getting extra while other times seems I need an extra club. It seems possible that being in/under a high or low pressure system may be playing its role here.

If you hit the ball high enough sometimes wind can be deceiving too. You may not feel it on the ground, but up above the tree line there may be enough wind to influence distance (or direction).

Back