How Often For Full Remake?

There is no real time table for me for out with the old and in with the new. Ironically, I just took my newer set of Hot Metals out and put my older Big Berthas back in the back. As a result I have had some of the best ball striking I have had in sometime.

I've only every remade my entire bag once, minus my putter, about 9 years ago when I returned to golf from a long layoff from playing competitive softball. Since then I've upgraded pieces each year, but that might have only been a driver, wedge, or shafts.

This year will be the closest I've come to a full overhaul since then as I have gone to F9 OL and that forced adjustments to my FW as well. I suspect I will need to make adjustments to my wedges too, leaving my driver and putter as the only clubs untouched for now.

5 years seems about right (sometimes more often!!)

Before this year, the only time I did a full bag remake was in late 1996. My car was stolen and my clubs were in the trunk. The police found the car 2 months later, and said it was the worst strip job they'd ever seen. I asked if any of my golf equipment was still in it and the officer said, "one golf shoe … do you want it?" So, I had to rebuild my set completely.

Here in the last month or so, I've completely remade the entire bag, with the exception of the putter and ball. Even my bag has changed. It looks very likely that I'll be changing to the Snell MTB Black, so that will just leave the putter. I have an lukewarm relationship with my Evnroll ER2. There are days that I really like how I putt with it, and others that would make me pull my hair out, but I've got so little left that I can't afford to do so. IF I change the putter, and hence complete an entire bag remake, it'll likely be to a Scotty Cameron Newport.

I'm quite pleased with my new driver and my new irons. In regard to my fairway woods and hybrids, this is the first time in 10 years that I've found ones that I hit well and really like. So, as of now, I doubt I'll be doing another full bag remake anytime soon, if ever.

Back